• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your favorite stone/ crystal to work with

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Sapphire was describing the magical qualities of her username in another thread, and I thought it might make an interesting topic for us!

What gemstone, crystal or mineral do you enjoy working with most? Actually, you can pick several, if you wish. I know nobody wants any of their stone friends to feel jealous! *grin*

I'll be adding mine soon!

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Albeit a Christian, I keep a fossil Megladon tooth around my neck. Somehow it makes me feel protected from the creatures of the deep. I have been missing my charm for over nine months now, which is about how long I have suffered a debilitating injury to my ankle.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
NetDoc said:
Albeit a Christian, I keep a fossil Megladon tooth around my neck. Somehow it makes me feel protected from the creatures of the deep. I have been missing my charm for over nine months now, which is about how long I have suffered a debilitating injury to my ankle.

I'm really sorry to hear about your ankle. I imagine the tooth has some powerful properties, whether it's because of your faith in it or because god has brought it into your life as a way of protecting you. We need to get it back for you! (Though I doubt it'll be here in Iowa! :( )

Mike182

Flaming Queer
i love gray hematite! it is a solid shiny stone, that represents balance and harmony. one accidental hit, and your nice shiny stone become nice shiny instant powder - ergo, the need for balance :biglaugh:

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
My favorite is fluorite. I find it to be one of the gentlest of stones. I also enjoy its promotion of understanding, of seeing things from other people's point of view!

Rose quartz is always good to work with when one is simply needing comfort and love, too!

1nharmony

A Coco-Nut
Wow, Feathers, this is a tough question! I'm glad you allowed us more than one "favorite"! :)

For some reason I have an affinity towards rocks of all types, shapes and sizes. Had fun doing some tumbling for awhile working with just about anything I picked up.

I don't know which category this fits in; perhaps none-of-the-above. But I like abalone shell a great deal. It's so beautiful and each one with its unique pattern. I think it makes the most gorgeous jewelry!

But I guess my true favorites are the five stones I collected for my medicine wheel bundle. They soothe me.

Does anyone else here make rock "towers"? Wherever we go, if my husband finds a pile of rocks, he will stack a bunch of them, balancing as many as he can into a tower. He calls it Rock Art and it is! We even have some towers in our yard. (Every now and then, he has to rebuild them. :eek: )

M

Majikthise

My wife's friends boyfriend is collector of crystals and sometimes gives her some.
There is one stone, I don't remember the name, but I think it is called a memory stone. It is a small reddish stone that naturally has triangles on the face, I find them facinating. Tammy say's she thinks they hold memories or represent a lesson you need to learn and once you have learned it you will loose the stone.
Ever heard of this? I have a couple of them.:confused:

Bishka

Veteran Member
I actually like the periodite(spelling??). It's my birthstone (August) and I've always like that and this other kind of stone, it's black, smooth and shiny (have no clue what it's called) and I used to have a heart made out of it, it was sort of like a good luck charm for me, made me feel safe.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
1nharmony said:
Wow, Feathers, this is a tough question! I'm glad you allowed us more than one "favorite"! :)

For some reason I have an affinity towards rocks of all types, shapes and sizes. Had fun doing some tumbling for awhile working with just about anything I picked up.

From my own experience, it seems like people work best with different 'areas'- like mine is the animal kingdom or water. If you work well with rocks, I imagine you're a very grounded person, and fairly easygoing.
I don't know which category this fits in; perhaps none-of-the-above. But I like abalone shell a great deal. It's so beautiful and each one with its unique pattern. I think it makes the most gorgeous jewelry!

I count it as in the same category! I love it!

But I guess my true favorites are the five stones I collected for my medicine wheel bundle. They soothe me.

I love the care that one can put into finding them! It lets me experience the individual energies of the stone, how they are alike and how they are different.

Does anyone else here make rock "towers"? Wherever we go, if my husband finds a pile of rocks, he will stack a bunch of them, balancing as many as he can into a tower. He calls it Rock Art and it is! We even have some towers in our yard. (Every now and then, he has to rebuild them. :eek: )

Yup! I've got a cairn that I'm trying to build... Well, I call it that, but it's a big name for a small pile of rocks, heheee. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that does it!

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Majikthise said:
My wife's friends boyfriend is collector of crystals and sometimes gives her some.
There is one stone, I don't remember the name, but I think it is called a memory stone. It is a small reddish stone that naturally has triangles on the face, I find them facinating. Tammy say's she thinks they hold memories or represent a lesson you need to learn and once you have learned it you will loose the stone.
Ever heard of this? I have a couple of them.:confused:

What I've heard of memory stones is fairly limited. I've also heard them referred to as a 'tabby' (tablet) and 'script' stones. In some traditions, if I remember correctly, instead of writing down the minutes of a meeting or the clan/ tribal history, those who worked with the stones recorded their thoughts and memories 'into' the crystal. I've only worked with a few, but it's amazing what you can find recorded by others (if the tablet hasn't been cleansed with salt water) and record yourself. I just wish I was aware of them in high school, since I could've made sure I had the test answers, hehee!

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
beckysoup61 said:
I actually like the periodite(spelling??). It's my birthstone (August) and I've always like that and this other kind of stone, it's black, smooth and shiny (have no clue what it's called) and I used to have a heart made out of it, it was sort of like a good luck charm for me, made me feel safe.

I love that birthstone!

The other sounds a bit like malachite. Is it kind of silver, too? It could also be Apache's Tears. The heart sounds lovely!

Bishka

Veteran Member
FeathersinHair said:
I love that birthstone!

The other sounds a bit like malachite. Is it kind of silver, too? It could also be Apache's Tears. The heart sounds lovely!

It's sort of silver/black. I should get a picture of it, but I lost it. I like stones though, I think they are very pretty. :flower:

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
I don't really "work" with stones. I do make bead and wire jewelry tho, and I do keep their ascribed properties in mind when I use gemstones. Don't know if they actually possess such properties and honestly am a little skeptical but if the person that I give the jewelry to believes, then that's good enough. :) For me, it's another way of embuing my work with meaning.

My favorite stone? Too many! :D I'm quite fond of the color of rubies but they're a bit pricey. The stone I use most often is moonstone. I am likely wearing moonstone at any given time. And lately I've developed a liking for carnelian.

Becky, if your stone is shiny jet black, it's probably onyx. If it's shiny silver black, it's probably hematite.

ChrisP

Veteran Member
I like wood to be honest. Warm coloured woods (without getting as red as Jara ?sp?). It's always better when it's alive and leafy, so the wind can blow through it though.

Obsidian and Onyx are nice. They have that "potential" feeling to them.

FeathersinHair said:
Rose quartz is always good to work with when one is simply needing comfort and love, too!
Come on Feathers ;) we already know you've got a thing for Scott Summers! No need to be coy.

Nehustan

I no longer have any crystals. I think people would misunderstand. I do however believe in an energy matrix within creation, and I do think that these stones interact with that matrix. Many years ago I used to carry a shoulder bag (and actually a quarterstaff, but we won't go into that :sarcastic) and within it I had certain items. I had a hand made set of runes from Rennes le Chateau, not so much for divination as for the heritage of the things. I also had a very nice crystal hammered out in silver (mounting) at full moon in scorpio with the word 'Samhain' in runes upon it, which is of course 1st November (which is my b'day). The stone was a rather pretty piece of irradiated smokey quartz. I carried various other crystals in a crystal bag, from amethyst to help me with focusing my pyschic energy, to black tourmaline to 'firewall' my aura. I really love all crystals, I particulary love watermelon tourmaline, really very pretty, and rutilated quartz is also a favourite.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Oooo! A thread about staffs would be an interesting one, too!

This is my first time hearing about watermelon tourmaline. I look forward to seeing one!

Nehustan

google images....

watermelon.jpg

Dscn0272-watermellon-tourm.gif

watermellonslice2.jpg

Nehustan

Rutilated quartz...to my knowledge is quartz that has elements of gold (threads) within it...tho' I think it may also be other trace metals...again very pretty...

Stones_RutilatedQuartz.jpg

pmrtc.jpg

Nehustan

the other one I mentioned, smokey quartz, occurs when the quartz grows near a source of radiation (i.e. granite emits radiation), I find it very alluring...

smokey.jpg

Smokey-Quartz-240.jpg

Lemon

The shy lurker
I love to work with hematite, I'm sure that was the first stone I ever worked with. I also like tiger's eye and smokey quartz,