• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your favorite Pharaoh or Roman Emperor?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
This is all interesting stuff :). As long as Spiderman doesn't mind.

Edit: @Rival I'll admit I can't always keep the Egyptian Gods straight, in remembering who is who. Atem was the Sun God of Akhenaten?
There are several aspects (not my personal theology, but standard Kemetic theology found in hymns etc.) of the Sun God.

The first is Ra, who is the standard Sun God.

Ra is further broken into aspects of the day, so the rising sun/morning sun is Khepri, which is the scarab headed God.

The midday sun is Ra-Horakhty (effectively Horus).

The dusk sun is identified with Atum, also a creator God.

Ra is often merged with other Gods, such as Ra-Atum, Amun-Ra, Ra-Horakhty, Sobek-Ra and I think likely others.

Aten (sometimes Aton) is the word for the orb of the Sun itself, not a God necessarily, just the physical Sun; the Moon was sometimes called the 'silver Aten'. This was the focus of Akhenaten's worship.

8b80907e302ddb181223a2ef665c9c91.jpg

il_340x270.3012846496_1vw5.jpg

Last edited:

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Also since the living Pharaoh is identified with Horu, we have to count Him too :D

latest

You should get a pet falcon/Hawk and name it Horu. That would be cute. :) Hawks/Falcons make great pets when trained properly.

Genghis Kahn used to have trained Hawks that would help him out. They can make very good companions. Legend has it that the great Kahn killed one of his falcon's that kept knocking water out of his hand. He later found out the water contained venom from a poisonous serpent.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
You should get a pet falcon/Hawk and name it Horu. That would be cute. :) Hawks/Falcons make great pets when trained properly.

Genghis Kahn used to have trained Hawks that would help him out. They can make very good companions. Legend has it that the great Kahn killed one of his falcon's that kept knocking water out of his hand. He later found out the water contained venom from a poisonous serpent.

I'm planning on learning Falconry. Maybe I can train a Raven. They are super intelligent. :)

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Also relevant would be the Daughters of Ra, also known as the Eyes of Ra - the Goddess/es (I'll explain), Bast, Hat-Hor and Sekhmet. These are all also essentially aspects of each other, as I'll provide a story to illustrate, and are ultimately 'Ra's Eye' - what He sees and His actions in the world. They are portrayed as lionesses in these aspects (Hat-Hor can also be a cow and is depicted with cow horns), but Bast was 'softened' into a domestic cat in later dynasties. She can still be shown as a lioness though. Here is the tale as told by wiki,

The Eye of Ra protected the sun god from his enemies and was often represented as a uraeus, or rearing cobra, or as a lioness.[25] A form of the Eye of Ra known as "Hathor of the Four Faces", represented by a set of four cobras, was said to face in each of the cardinal directions to watch for threats to the sun god.[26] A group of myths, known from the New Kingdom (c. 1550–1070 BC) onward, describe what happens when the Eye goddess rampages uncontrolled. In the funerary text known as the Book of the Heavenly Cow, Ra sends Hathor as the Eye of Ra to punish humans for plotting rebellion against his rule. She becomes the lioness goddess Sekhmet and massacres the rebellious humans, but Ra decides to prevent her from killing all humanity. He orders that beer be dyed red and poured out over the land. The Eye goddess drinks the beer, mistaking it for blood, and in her inebriated state reverts to being the benign and beautiful Hathor.[27] Related to this story is the myth of the Distant Goddess, from the Late and Ptolemaic periods. The Eye goddess, sometimes in the form of Hathor, rebels against Ra's control and rampages freely in a foreign land: Libya west of Egypt or Nubia to the south. Weakened by the loss of his Eye, Ra sends another god, such as Thoth, to bring her back to him.[28] Once pacified, the goddess returns to become the consort of the sun god or of the god who brings her back.[29] The two aspects of the Eye goddess—violent and dangerous versus beautiful and joyful—reflected the Egyptian belief that women, as the Egyptologist Carolyn Graves-Brown puts it, "encompassed both extreme passions of fury and love."

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Also relevant would be the Daughters of Ra, also known as the Eyes of Ra - the Goddess/es (I'll explain), Bast, Hat-Hor and Sekhmet. These are all also essentially aspects of each other, as I'll provide a story to illustrate, and are ultimately 'Ra's Eye' - what He sees and His actions in the world. They are portrayed as lionesses, but Bast was 'softened' into a domestic cat in later dynasties. She can still be shown as a lioness though. Here is the tale as told by wiki,

The Eye of Ra protected the sun god from his enemies and was often represented as a uraeus, or rearing cobra, or as a lioness.[25] A form of the Eye of Ra known as "Hathor of the Four Faces", represented by a set of four cobras, was said to face in each of the cardinal directions to watch for threats to the sun god.[26] A group of myths, known from the New Kingdom (c. 1550–1070 BC) onward, describe what happens when the Eye goddess rampages uncontrolled. In the funerary text known as the Book of the Heavenly Cow, Ra sends Hathor as the Eye of Ra to punish humans for plotting rebellion against his rule. She becomes the lioness goddess Sekhmet and massacres the rebellious humans, but Ra decides to prevent her from killing all humanity. He orders that beer be dyed red and poured out over the land. The Eye goddess drinks the beer, mistaking it for blood, and in her inebriated state reverts to being the benign and beautiful Hathor.[27] Related to this story is the myth of the Distant Goddess, from the Late and Ptolemaic periods. The Eye goddess, sometimes in the form of Hathor, rebels against Ra's control and rampages freely in a foreign land: Libya west of Egypt or Nubia to the south. Weakened by the loss of his Eye, Ra sends another god, such as Thoth, to bring her back to him.[28] Once pacified, the goddess returns to become the consort of the sun god or of the god who brings her back.[29] The two aspects of the Eye goddess—violent and dangerous versus beautiful and joyful—reflected the Egyptian belief that women, as the Egyptologist Carolyn Graves-Brown puts it, "encompassed both extreme passions of fury and love."

Oh,
I love that!

My Shinto devotions are very much focused on the Divine feminine, and I don't feel that in the Supernatural realm women suffer any weaknesses that would make them lesser of warriors. Quite the opposite actually. I think Mother God will triumph over Father God personally in the end.

I have great devotion to the "Eye Of Ra", so am embarrassed to say, I have never heard to them referred to as "Daughter's of Ra". I like that. :) I called them simply "Queens of Heaven" or "Sun Goddesses" "Eye Goddesses".

My favorite Canonized Catholic Saint is "Saint Louis De Montfort". He started a group called "Daughter's of wisdom". A consecrated lady was telling me she bought a book about him recently and brought up the "Daughter's of wisdom".

For some reason, "Daughter's of Ra" could also be nicknamed "Daughter's of wisdom" in my personal devotions, was my thought. *shrug*. Cool to hear that title for them though. ;)

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Oh,
I love that!

My Shinto devotions are very much focused on the Divine feminine, and I don't feel that in the Supernatural realm women suffer any weaknesses that would make them lesser of warriors. Quite the opposite actually. I think Mother God will triumph over Father God personally in the end.

I have great devotion to the "Eye Of Ra", so am embarrassed to say, I have never heard to them referred to as "Daughter's of Ra". I like that. :) I called them simply "Queens of Heaven" or "Sun Goddesses" "Eye Goddesses".

My favorite Canonized Catholic Saint is "Saint Louis De Montfort". He started a group called "Daughter's of wisdom". A consecrated lady was telling me she bought a book about him recently and brought up the "Daughter's of wisdom".

For some reason, "Daughter's of Ra" could also be nicknamed "Daughter's of wisdom" in my personal devotions, was my thought. *shrug*. Cool to hear that title for them though. ;)
I recently ordered this; you might like it Flaming Lioness: Ancient Hymns for Egyptian Goddesses: Amazon.co.uk: Bolton, Chelsea Luellon: 9781796826456: Books

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Good to hear that about Hathor.

She really isn't the Aphrodite equivalent people make her out to be.
This story (you reminded me),

In "The Contendings of Horus and Set", a New Kingdom short story about the dispute between those two gods, Ra is upset after being insulted by another god, Babi, and lies on his back alone. After some time, Hathor exposes her genitals to Ra, making him laugh and get up again to perform his duties as ruler of the gods. Life and order were thought to be dependent on Ra's activity, and the story implies that Hathor averted the disastrous consequences of his idleness. Her act may have lifted Ra's spirits partly because it sexually aroused him, although why he laughed is not fully understood.

And this,

Hathor's sexual side was seen in some short stories. In a cryptic fragment of a Middle Kingdom story, known as "The Tale of the Herdsman", a herdsman encounters a hairy, animal-like goddess in a marsh and reacts with terror. On another day he encounters her as a nude, alluring woman. Most Egyptologists who study this story think this woman is Hathor or a goddess like her, one who can be wild and dangerous or benign and erotic. Thomas Schneider interprets the text as implying that between his two encounters with the goddess the herdsman has done something to pacify her.

Hathor was called "mistress of love", as an extension of her sexual aspect. In the series of love poems from Papyrus Chester Beatty I, from the Twentieth Dynasty (c. 1189–1077 BC), men and women ask Hathor to bring their lovers to them: "I prayed to her [Hathor] and she heard my prayer. She destined my mistress [loved one] for me. And she came of her own free will to see me."

So she may be :sweatsmile:

She also loves beer and drunkenness lol.

d1e1f046153462f6d83131e3593523a8.png

arthouse-labs-hathor.jpg

Last edited:

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
I have a small collection of Roman coins, nothing valuable and I'm not a coin collector but they are amongst my most prized possessions. It's kinda cool holding something that was used 2,000 years ago.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
This story (you reminded me),

In "The Contendings of Horus and Set", a New Kingdom short story about the dispute between those two gods, Ra is upset after being insulted by another god, Babi, and lies on his back alone. After some time, Hathor exposes her genitals to Ra, making him laugh and get up again to perform his duties as ruler of the gods. Life and order were thought to be dependent on Ra's activity, and the story implies that Hathor averted the disastrous consequences of his idleness. Her act may have lifted Ra's spirits partly because it sexually aroused him, although why he laughed is not fully understood.

And this,

Hathor's sexual side was seen in some short stories. In a cryptic fragment of a Middle Kingdom story, known as "The Tale of the Herdsman", a herdsman encounters a hairy, animal-like goddess in a marsh and reacts with terror. On another day he encounters her as a nude, alluring woman. Most Egyptologists who study this story think this woman is Hathor or a goddess like her, one who can be wild and dangerous or benign and erotic. Thomas Schneider interprets the text as implying that between his two encounters with the goddess the herdsman has done something to pacify her.

Hathor was called "mistress of love", as an extension of her sexual aspect. In the series of love poems from Papyrus Chester Beatty I, from the Twentieth Dynasty (c. 1189–1077 BC), men and women ask Hathor to bring their lovers to them: "I prayed to her [Hathor] and she heard my prayer. She destined my mistress [loved one] for me. And she came of her own free will to see me."

So she may be :sweatsmile:

She also loves beer and drunkenness lol.

d1e1f046153462f6d83131e3593523a8.png

arthouse-labs-hathor.jpg

She reminds me of a female Dionysus.

I just find her so loveable. And ty for the pics. :heartarrow: You'll be a mother Teresa missionary of Egyptian Religion some day. ;)

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Hathor, I'm sure you're So soo sooo pretty!

If I ever go back to drinking, please bless my beverage, and let your spirit enter it, and may it's intoxicating effects, cause me to be under the influence of you as well.

I hope I don't go back to drinking, but you are my drinking buddy if I do. :)

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Glad to be able to share this spiritual information :)
You have been entrusted with keeping Ra, the daughter's of Ra, Osiris and his world of the dead, and the dynasty alive.

Few has it been revealed to, and the Kingdom lives on in them.

Don't be discouraged. You have friends in high places.

I was into venerating Shinto Sun Divinities, then this random guy hands me a book about Egyptology and the significance of the Sun.

Then around that time I had a homeless guy visit who called himself Ra, and I discovered multiple Obelisks around that time.

Point being, the Ancient Egyptians were not totally delusional. They were incredible. A powerful supernatural force and destiny was with them. I feel it very strongly.

That force is with you. You have heard the calling and shared some valuable knowledge to help people grow in their knowledge of an extremely fascinating Ancient faith full of mystery and enchantment.

Keep studying and praying. It will pay off. I will ask Ra to be your light. ;)

Do you have a picture of Ra to share? You choose better pics than I find. :)

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
You have been entrusted with keeping Ra, the daughter's of Ra, Osiris and his world of the dead, and the dynasty alive.

Few has it been revealed to, and the Kingdom lives on in them.

Don't be discouraged. You have friends in high places.

I was into venerating Shinto Sun Divinities, then this random guy hands me a book about Egyptology and the significance of the Sun.

Then around that time I had a homeless guy visit who called himself Ra, and I discovered multiple Obelisks around that time.

Point being, the Ancient Egyptians were not totally delusional. They were incredible. A powerful supernatural force and destiny was with them. I feel it very strongly.

That force is with you. You have heard the calling and shared some valuable knowledge to help people grow in their knowledge of an extremely fascinating Ancient faith full of mystery and enchantment.

Keep studying and praying. It will pay off. I will ask Ra to be your light. ;)

Do you have a picture of Ra to share? You choose better pics than I find. :)
I'm really surprised Kemeticism isn't more popular, but then Pagan revival is mostly a European thing (by which I mean also European Americans).

james-lin-img-20161027-030305.jpg

e471415433ce2608b3b01826c1220976--egyptian-mythology-ra-egyptian-god.jpg

538ed9bef6bd44bcbcb39b8d2b52790f.jpg

And Sobek for good measure :D

jonas-gustavsson-asset.jpg

fiona-hsieh-sobek-portrait-small.png