• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your favorite Pharaoh or Roman Emperor?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Absolutely, the Republic was dead and buried long before Marcus Aurelius came on the scene. I wouldn’t particularly cast him as a villain, and The Meditations is a fair legacy for any historical figure.

Persecution of Christians by the Roman authorities increased under his rule, but on balance I’d prefer not to prod that particular hornets nest, lest I provoke a swarm of angry atheists.

Heh...I considered raising that, but I've never read anything linking him to the persecution of Christians directly, and there are reasons to think he eventually discouraged it.

Kinda gave him a Mulligan due to lack of clear causation...lol. seems likely he didn't do a lot to stop it in his earlier rule, but to be fair, he was dealing with a lot.

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
Pharaoh's are Theologically the most awesome.

The Egyptians believed their pharaoh to be the mediator between the gods and the world of men. After death the pharaoh became divine, identified with Osiris, the father of Horus and god of the dead, and passed on his sacred powers and position to the new pharaoh, his son.

View attachment 55430

I pray the Pharaoh's (Osiris) adopt me, that I be their adopted son, possessed by Horus and the Osiris ghost/spirit (Kami) , and be God of the dead some day. I'm a work in progress for that vocation, :p but their dynasty can be found within.

I live in Ramsey county and Ramses means "begotten of Ra". The Capitol Hill there has 17 Obelisks to Ra , and our bridges have Obelisks as well.

My Phavorite Pharoah is the one who gave the Hebrew slave Joseph control of his house, possessions, and Kingdom, telling everyone "go to Joseph".

Obviously not all Pharoahs were bad guys.

I like Tiberius Caesar, the "gloomiest of men" he is called . I'm also fond of Caesar Augustus.

Napoleon Bonaparte was also technically a "Holy Roman Emperor".

Anyone have a favorite Roman Emperor or Pharaoh?

Theophilos (emperor) - Wikipedia

amorphous_constellation

Heh...I considered raising that, but I've never read anything linking him to the persecution of Christians directly, and there are reasons to think he eventually discouraged it.

Kinda gave him a Mulligan due to lack of clear causation...lol. seems likely he didn't do a lot to stop it in his earlier rule, but to be fair, he was dealing with a lot.

Probably wasn't even too many of them right, and plus he probably was distracted by external stuff, germanic tribes or forces out east. All I know is that his book is great, didn't strike me as a person with an interest in nero-like behavior at all from what I read

Last edited:

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Probably wasn't even too many of them right, and plus he probably was distracted by external stuff, germanic tribes or forces out east. All I know is that is book is great, didn't strike me as a person with an interest in nero-like behavior at all from what I read

He had a few different things to deal with, but a couple of the biggest;

• Famine, caused by a severe flooding of the Tiber. This was in the early days of his rule.
  • Major external wars with the Germanic tribes and the Parthians/Armenians (in particular). In both cases these were multi-year wars involving loose alliances against the Romans.
  • The Antonine Plague (which killed millions of Romans)