• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your favorite Pharaoh or Roman Emperor?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
I'm really surprised Kemeticism isn't more popular, but then Pagan revival is mostly a European thing (by which I mean also European Americans).

james-lin-img-20161027-030305.jpg

e471415433ce2608b3b01826c1220976--egyptian-mythology-ra-egyptian-god.jpg

538ed9bef6bd44bcbcb39b8d2b52790f.jpg

And Sobek for good measure :D

jonas-gustavsson-asset.jpg

fiona-hsieh-sobek-portrait-small.png
Incredible!

I rated your post funny on accident. I meant "winner". Fixed it.

Also additions to my prayer wall.

Yeah, if the Pagan Revival is not including Kemeticism, Ra will love you more, because he won't have as many friends. ;)

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Incredible!

I rated your post funny on accident. I meant "winner". Fixed it.

Also additions to my prayer wall.

Yeah, if the Pagan Revival is not including Kemeticism, Ra will love you more, because he won't have as many friends. ;)
I feel like the Netjeru (Gods) don't mind, really.

They dominated for 3,000+ years and are now well known almost the world over. Their Pharaohs are shown off in museums, in art, in theatre, we know them. And if there's one thing Egypt loved, it's showing off. They have much of their gold, their artefacts, their statues - and statues of the Netjeru are still being made today. The Pharaohs were recently given a parade in modern Egypt for the reopening of the Cairo Museum. Kemet has lived on and will continue to. Egyptian wisdom literature enjoins gentleness, softness of voice and action, silence and joy. It seems that if we see the Ancient Egyptians as soft, gentle kind of people who liked painting their eyelids and dancing, instead of warfare like Roma and Persia, it's because that's who they were. And their Gods seem mostly equally gentle, even the violent ones, in a way that makes me think they're at peace with this modern outcome.

Plus, they were right. The minute the natives stopped worshipping them, Egypt turned to **** ;)

Last edited:

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
There are several aspects (not my personal theology, but standard Kemetic theology found in hymns etc.) of the Sun God.

The first is Ra, who is the standard Sun God.

Ra is further broken into aspects of the day, so the rising sun/morning sun is Khepri, which is the scarab headed God.

The midday sun is Ra-Horakhty (effectively Horus).

The dusk sun is identified with Atum, also a creator God.

Ra is often merged with other Gods, such as Ra-Atum, Amun-Ra, Ra-Horakhty, Sobek-Ra and I think likely others.

Aten (sometimes Aton) is the word for the orb of the Sun itself, not a God necessarily, just the physical Sun; the Moon was sometimes called the 'silver Aten'. This was the focus of Akhenaten's worship.

8b80907e302ddb181223a2ef665c9c91.jpg

il_340x270.3012846496_1vw5.jpg

See that's why I get confused. It's that differing aspects of the sun, are different deities. Now it makes a bit more sense, thank you.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I studied Romanian for a bit, and I heard that when he reached Dacia he didn't need a translator and considered the inhabitants some kind of kin.

I suspect it's somewhat mythical. Much of what we know about Trajan is dubiously expressed in various sources which seem a little...too positive? It gets hard with ancient sources to separate fact from allegory (as you well know, I suspect).

So, I put him down as my choice, but it's fair to say there is a large level of guesswork in any of this.
What's clear is that he greatly increased the prosperity of the Empire (partly through successful expansion, including Dacia...)
And that he used his increased coffers to build useful infrastructure, rather than fritter it away (by Roman standards...there was plenty of frittering by modern standards...lol)

The invasion of Dacia was pretty smart, from a military point of view, as well as leading to Roman prosperity. The Romans were poorly placed to fight a defensive war against the Dacians for a bunch of reasons (including their central European position meaning they needed to mobilize legions to various fronts, whereas in an offensive war you were choosing the front). But the key thing was that the Dacians were a more credible threat to the Romans. They were numerous, better organised, and much better armed that the Gauls (for example). Trajan took a calculated risk in stripping legions from defensive positions in the north and north-west, and strengthening his north-eastern and eastern front.

So, from a strategic point of view I appreciate his decisiveness and sensible risk-taking. But once he'd subdued Dacia (and Parthia to an extent) he used the period of peace and wealth to build something positive. He introduced organized social welfare programs to help feed the poor, particularly needy children. He rebuilt roads that needed attention (possibly using the 100,000 Dacian slaves he took!) and constructed aqueducts (probably paid for by the enormous gold and silver deposits he also took) and public baths.

He also worked to make the governing of taken lands sustainable and left them to self govern where he thought it was safe to do so. IN Dacia's case, this involved splitting the state in half, and actively governing one half, but it varied (and the Dacians were very much seen as a credible threat to Rome).

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
He was a philosopher king, and certainly far more benevolent than other Emperors.

I get the philosophy part of the equation (obviously), but how do you see him as 'more benevolent' than other Emperors?

Not meaning to negate your opinion here...he was definitely on my short list. Just honestly curious. To me, his philosophy, and the level of personal insight it gives into his thought processes can colour people's view of him as an Emperor to some degree. His stoicism was not universally seen as a positive in his day, although it also helped popularise philosophy.

Last edited:

RestlessSoul

Marcus Aurelius

No pharonic preference.

For his 'Meditations' presumably?

He is sometimes referred to as "the last of the good emperors", but I doubt that meant much to his enemies. The very office of Emperor was a betrayal of the Republic and the rule of law, of which Rome had once been so rightly proud.

Rome's tragedy, some might say, was that the mob fell in love with the populist Caesars, and colluded in the destruction of the Republic and the principles on which it was built. A lesson for any modern state that is tempted to take it's democracy for granted.

"As long as mankind shall continue to bestow more liberal applause on their destroyers than on their benefactors, the thirst of military glory will ever be the vice of their most exalted characters."

-Edward Gibbon

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
For his 'Meditations' presumably?

He is sometimes referred to as "the last of the good emperors", but I doubt that meant much to his enemies. The very office of Emperor was a betrayal of the Republic and the rule of law, of which Rome had once been so rightly proud.

Rome's tragedy, some might say, was that the mob fell in love with the populist Caesars, and colluded in the destruction of the Republic and the principles on which it was built. A lesson for any modern state that is tempted to take it's democracy for granted.

"As long as mankind shall continue to bestow more liberal applause on their destroyers than on their benefactors, the thirst of military glory will ever be the vice of their most exalted characters."

-Edward Gibbon

But in the case of Aurelius, you're judging him for a system that was 200 years gone. Not to mention the fact that Aurelius was respectful of the Senate, by the standards of the day.

If you want to give him a black mark in terms of negative impact on political systems, his handing of power to his son is more noteworthy in my opinion.

RestlessSoul

But in the case of Aurelius, you're judging him for a system that was 200 years gone. Not to mention the fact that Aurelius was respectful of the Senate, by the standards of the day.

If you want to give him a black mark in terms of negative impact on political systems, his handing of power to his son is more noteworthy in my opinion.

Absolutely, the Republic was dead and buried long before Marcus Aurelius came on the scene. I wouldn’t particularly cast him as a villain, and The Meditations is a fair legacy for any historical figure.

Persecution of Christians by the Roman authorities increased under his rule, but on balance I’d prefer not to prod that particular hornets nest, lest I provoke a swarm of angry atheists.