• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Favorite Classic Film

Dezzie

I love the Classic black and white films. I have a ton of favorites.

Mine are:
House of Wax with Vincent Price 1953
House on Haunted Hill also with Vincent Price 1954
Frankenstein with Boris Karloff 1931
The Invisible Man with Claude Rains 1933
Psycho with Anthony Perkins and Janet Leigh 1963

I have many other favorites but these are just a few.
I am a sucker for the 40's and 50's. :eek:
Oh and, Vincent Price is awesome. :p

.lava

Veteran Member
i do not know year of it but i did enjoy watching "man who know too much". i hope i recall the title correct :D i also like the good the bad and the ugly.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
For pure comic relief I like watching Dracula (1931, with Bela Lugosi), its a fascinating insight into the infancy of the Vampire genre, and without doubt to our eyes as people from the 21 century it takes a lot of effort to get into the atmosphere, instead of horror we get a comedy. however Dwight Frye plays a great Renfield, which is the morbid axis of the film, good acting of a psychotic human fiend.

I love Chaplin's work, emotional, a lot of substance and content that you just dont get at large in today's cinema.

Double Indemnity (1944) is a good example of an oldie film noir.

and of course I cant leave Dr. Strangelove (1964) and Metropolis (1926) out.

cardero

Citizen Mod
All About Eve (1950)-anything with Bettie Davis really.
Animal Crackers (1930)-anything with the Marx Bros.
The Bellboy (1960)- I am very particular about my Jerry Lewis movies.
The Benny Goodman Story (1955) and since were in that genre…
The Glenn Miller Story (1953)
The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951)
Freaks (1932)
The Flesh Eaters (1964)
Lolita (1961)
The Bowery Boys/The East Side Kids
The Naked Kiss (1964)
Teacher’s Pet (1958)
Village Of The Damned (1960)
Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (any of the Abbott and Costello movies)
Gojira (1954)

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
The Maltese Falcon (1941) - the stuff that dreams are made of.

And if you want to go with a classic classic:

Battleship Potemkin (1925)

For extra fun, watch the staircase scene in Potemkin and then the staircase scene in The Untouchables. See if you notice any similarity. ;)

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
For pure comic relief I like watching Dracula (1931, with Bela Lugosi), its a fascinating insight into the infancy of the Vampire genre, and without doubt to our eyes as people from the 21 century it takes a lot of effort to get into the atmosphere, instead of horror we get a comedy. however Dwight Frye plays a great Renfield, which is the morbid axis of the film, good acting of a psychotic human fiend.

I love Chaplin's work, emotional, a lot of substance and content that you just dont get at large in today's cinema.

I think Dwight was the best Renfield

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
I love the Classic black and white films. I have a ton of favorites.

Mine are:
House of Wax with Vincent Price 1953
House on Haunted Hill also with Vincent Price 1954
Frankenstein with Boris Karloff 1931
The Invisible Man with Claude Rains 1933
Psycho with Anthony Perkins and Janet Leigh 1963

I have many other favorites but these are just a few.
I am a sucker for the 40's and 50's. :eek:
Oh and, Vincent Price is awesome. :p

Any Laurel and Hardy,Buster Keatan,Arsenic and old Lace Carry Grant was funny
Some like it Hot,The Apartment,The Dambusters,The Cruel Sea,All Quiet on the Western Front original version,She wore a Yellow Ribbon,Un Chen Andalou,Back to Bataan,Nosfaratu,House on Haunted Hill,The Mummy and many more.

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
Nosferatu- still an amazing film.
Grande Illusion- one of my favorite war movies as well.
Beauty and the Beast (Cocteau version)- haunting, beautiful, mesmerizing, nightmarish yet dream-like. Love this film.
Night of the Living Dead- need I say more....?
Throne of Blood- Kurosawa's masterful interpretation of Macbeth.
The Haunting- as close to perfect as a film can get.
Spider Baby- hadn't seen it in ages then saw it again after a friend's reccomendation. Insane, creepy, hilarious- in short, just plain awesome film.
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari- the precursor to film noir, horror, and one of the most influential films ever made.
Freaks- Browning's masterpiece. Still effective and disturbing.
M- "In the Hall fo the Mountain King" is far more resonant than the Psycho, Jaws or Exorcist themes.
Carnival of Souls- proves yet again how low budgets with creative approaches can create something far more horrific and timeless than many big productions. Remains a great film today.

.... it's impossible to narrow it down. There's far too many.
:shrug:

Dezzie

Here's another...
The Last Man on Earth (1964) and with whom? haha Vincent Price! woot :)
This movie was actually pretty funny in a way. The way the "vampires" were acting is silly. lol

Dezzie

Nosferatu- still an amazing film.
Grande Illusion- one of my favorite war movies as well.
Beauty and the Beast (Cocteau version)- haunting, beautiful, mesmerizing, nightmarish yet dream-like. Love this film.
Night of the Living Dead- need I say more....?
Throne of Blood- Kurosawa's masterful interpretation of Macbeth.
The Haunting- as close to perfect as a film can get.
Spider Baby- hadn't seen it in ages then saw it again after a friend's reccomendation. Insane, creepy, hilarious- in short, just plain awesome film.
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari- the precursor to film noir, horror, and one of the most influential films ever made.
Freaks- Browning's masterpiece. Still effective and disturbing.
M- "In the Hall fo the Mountain King" is far more resonant than the Psycho, Jaws or Exorcist themes.
Carnival of Souls- proves yet again how low budgets with creative approaches can create something far more horrific and timeless than many big productions. Remains a great film today.

.... it's impossible to narrow it down. There's far too many.
:shrug:

YES! Nosferatu and Night of the Living Dead... both wonderful films... Evil Dead was another I enjoyed. It had it's level of creepiness to it but it was also silly. :p

Dezzie

I really want to see Metropolis. I haven't seen Dr. Strangelove either but I've heard about it. :D

Nepenthe

Tu Stultus Es
I really want to see Metropolis. I haven't seen Dr. Strangelove either but I've heard about it. :D
Both are highly recommended.

Quick Fritz Lang story:
My History of Film class professor actually met Lang the year he died to do an interview for some film publication he worked for. So Lang agreed to meet him and an interpreter in his limo as he was off to some awards ceremony or something. The first question my prof. asks is something concerning the special effects in the film, specifically the "hula hoops" that are gyrating around Maria. Lang becomes visibly perturbed, stays silent for a few minutes then just yells "nein!" So after that, every time my prof. asked a question Lang just repsonded "nein!" This went on for about ten minutes when the prof. just stopped and silently sat there the rest of the ride. The best part is the interpreter repeatedly and politely translated the outburst every time.

Apparently he'd struck a nerve.

stacey bo bacey

oh no you di'int
Vincent Price IS awesome!! And my favorite is It's A Wonderful Life. I cry like a little baby every single time, never fails haha.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
The Adventures of Robin Hood (Erol Flynn)
The African Queen
Treasure of the Sierra Madre
Ben-Hur
The Ten Commandments
The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)