• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Christian Identity

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Hello @nPeace :)

For the record :), Jehovah's Witnesses do not use reason, tradition, and experience to determine whether to accept a scripture, or not. Scripture comes first.
OK then.....

Let's have a look at this website:

11 kinds of Bible verses Christians love to ignore

(there are thousands of such websites to choose from)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but JWs don't believe in owning slaves, right?

I ask because this is something the bible is OK with as it gives instructions as to how to be a good master of slaves......

If it was against it then it wouldn't provide such instructions.....

Indeed it would state "Thy Shalt Not Own Slaves". But it doesn't. It could have said this but it doesn't.

Much to its shame, IMO.

I sincerely hope you do not believe slavery is OK???

And correct me if I'm wrong, but JWs don't avoid wearing clothes made out of two different types of fabric???

Also, if a son is stubborn and defies his parents/elders do you stone him???

No, you don't. You'd simply defellowship him, you'd isolate him from his entire family and leave him to sleep out on the street in a cardboard box, fending for himself :D

You therefore reject parts of the bible!!!!

One more thing...

I gave four things that shape the beliefs and practices of any Christian denomination

But I neglected to include a fifth one:

Authority

Liberal Protestants such as myself don't really have this so I forgot to include it

But Roman Catholics do as do JWs due to their hierarchical natures

You have The Watchtower Society which enforces a certain interpretation of scripture

Also, each JW congregation has a body of elders, who enforce JW orthodoxy and act as a kind of spiritual thought police

As such, your denomination is hostile towards dissent and free-thought in a way that other denominations are not - it suppresses personal reason and drowns out prior experience and the broader traditions of society

I find any organisation that surpasses free thought to be rather sinister but yes, it is your right to decide who is allowed to call themselves a JW and who isn't, I would never interfere in the affairs of your church or challenge its right to exist but that doesn't mean I can't outright reject it :D

But I think you are confusing the authority of the bible with the "authority" of humans

To return to the bible:

You guys clearly read it in the context of a certain tradition (e.g. you read it as a 21st century Westener would) in a way that is shaped by your own sense of reason, and in a way that is shaped by your life experience which all occurs in a certain cultural context (i.e. a tradition)

To deny this would render you mindless and would make the bible little more than a hypodermic syringe that injects spirituality into a passive body. No. You actively interpret it based on your culture and who you are. You all do this! It is not beamed into your head, you actively acquire it in light of your reason, your tradition, and your personal experience. Each person reads it in a different way. But in your tradition authority coerces people into a certain rigid interpretation that defies the personal reason of the members.

However, unlike in other contexts it appears that you do this in a climate of fear, coming from the elders who govern individual congregations: Authority seems to be an important factor in your religion.

Can I ask, you seem very well versed. Are you a church elder?

Last edited:

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
ERROR, John 10:29 "My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand."

101G.
While you may be loved by God, that doesn't mean you make sense to others. A word to the wise, stop referring to yourself in the 3rd person. It's really uncalled for and off-putting. I think we are all more capable of understanding these things than you may otherwise presume.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Hello @nPeace :)

OK then.....

Let's have a look at this website:

11 kinds of Bible verses Christians love to ignore

(there are thousands of such websites to choose from)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but JWs don't believe in owning slaves, right?

I ask because this is something the bible is OK with as it gives instructions as to how to be a good master of slaves......

If it was against it then it wouldn't provide such instructions.....

Indeed it would state "Thy Shalt Not Own Slaves". But it doesn't. It could have said this but it doesn't.

Much to its shame, IMO.

I sincerely hope you do not believe slavery is OK???

And correct me if I'm wrong, but JWs don't avoid wearing clothes made out of two different types of fabric???

Also, if a son is stubborn and defies his parents/elders do you stone him???

No, you don't. You'd simply defellowship him, you'd isolate him from his entire family and leave him to sleep out on the street in a cardboard box, fending for himself :D

You therefore reject parts of the bible!!!!

One more thing...

I gave four things that shape the beliefs and practices of any Christian denomination

But I neglected to include a fifth one:
All this to say... you don't believe the Bible. right.
Then why do you identify yourself as Christian, may I ask?
Why not choose to be Muslim, or Bahai, or something else.

Authority

Liberal Protestants such as myself don't really have this so I forgot to include it

But Roman Catholics do as do JWs due to their hierarchical natures

You have The Watchtower Society which enforces a certain interpretation of scripture

Also, each JW congregation has a body of elders, who enforce JW orthodoxy and act as a kind of spiritual thought police

As such, your denomination is hostile towards dissent and free-thought in a way that other denominations are not - it suppresses personal reason and drowns out prior experience and the broader traditions of society

I find any organisation that surpasses free thought to be rather sinister but yes, it is your right to decide who is allowed to call themselves a JW and who isn't, I would never interfere in the affairs of your church or challenge its right to exist but that doesn't mean I can't outright reject it :D

But I think you are confusing the authority of the bible with the "authority" of humans
No. None of this is true. Do you get these from the thousands of websites you referred to earlier?
They are mostly writen by apostates - who don't tell you the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. So may I suggest you, for one thing, try to find out what really is the truth.

Jehovah's Witnesses apply these texts...
(1 Peter 5:2-3) 2 Shepherd the flock of God under your care, serving as overseers, not under compulsion, but willingly before God; not for love of dishonest gain, but eagerly; 3 not lording it over those who are God’s inheritance, but becoming examples to the flock.

(Hebrews 13:17) 17 Be obedient to those who are taking the lead among you and be submissive, for they are keeping watch over you as those who will render an account, so that they may do this with joy and not with sighing, for this would be damaging to you.

If you have a problem with those texts, i have to ask again, Why do you call yourself a Christian?

To return to the bible:

You guys clearly read it in the context of a certain tradition (e.g. you read it as a 21st century Westener would) in a way that is shaped by your own sense of reason, and in a way that is shaped by your life experience which all occurs in a certain cultural context (i.e. a tradition)
You'll have to demonstrate that claim.
I have not seen this, and JWs certainly are not alone in the use of manuscripts that are consistent with others which agree.

To deny this would render you mindless and would make the bible little more than a hypodermic syringe that injects spirituality into a passive body. No. You actively interpret it based on your culture and who you are. You all do this! It is not beamed into your head, you actively acquire it in light of your reason, your tradition, and your personal experience. Each person reads it in a different way. But in your tradition authority coerces people into a certain rigid interpretation that defies the personal reason of the members.
Again. Words are easy. Demonstrating claims are a different story. So are you going to demonstrate, or just claim?

Note. You haven't allowed our test to be carried out.
Are you more content with claims that actual demonstrations?

However, unlike in other contexts it appears that you do this in a climate of fear, coming from the elders who govern individual congregations: Authority seems to be an important factor in your religion.
More words.
Evidently, you have just turned attention away from our getting any results from that test, and not address anything.
Don't they refer to that as strawman arguments?

Can we say then that your theories were falsified? That's fair to say, yes?

Can I ask, you seem very well versed. Are you a church elder?
All of JWs are well versed.
You may not know this, and maybe it's because you listen more to apostates than credible sources, but there are... I'm quite sure,19 year olds that are elders in the congregation.

How did they get there, by proving themselves trustworthy in doing the Lord's work - that is, engaging zealously in the ministry, which Christ himself did, and commanded his followers to do (Matthew 24:14; Matthew 28:19-20); caring for widows and orphans (James 1:27); caring for the congregation (2 Corinthians 11:28-29).

Being an elder among Jehovah's people really has nothing to do with being well versed.
Some publishers can quote scripture and in some cases handle the word more skillfully that some elders.... but these men are qualified to teach. They are very familiar with what is required from God's word.

Jesus said this... "...you will be hated by all people on account of my name, but the one who has endured to the end will be saved." (Matthew 10:22)
If that does not apply to Jehovah's Witnesses, then whom do you see it applies to?

Last edited:

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
All this to say... you don't believe the Bible. right.
I do believe in the bible, of course I do

But it is impossible to believe in it in isolation

How one believes in it is influenced by reason, tradition, experience, and authority

This truth is unavoidable

That is why so many different denominations have so many different interpretations of it

Indeed that is why so many different believers within the various denominations all have a different take on it, which you would find out were you to probe them

Question: How do you explain the fact that so many different denominations interpret it in so many different ways?

If you have a problem with those texts, i have to ask again, Why do you call yourself a Christian?
I don't have a problem with clergy, pastors, experts or elders

Indeed Jesus Christ himself is the ultimate expert in God, because he is God

But I do believe that everyone should find their own way to God

And that it is the role of pastors/clergy/elders to facilitate this as opposed to impose orthodoxies

I say that there are indeed right and wrong answers but that these should be explored in a context of free thought that acknowledges the fact that there are different interpretations etc.

To grow spiritually, one needs to feed one's sense of reason with scripture, and pastors et. al. can all help this

Question: Isn't it better for a person to come to Christ via their own reason, as opposed to by tradition or authority?

I'd say that it is

Quite frankly I am looking forward to the return of Jesus so he can set things straight using his own words, we then wouldn't need to have discussions such as these

InChrist

Free4ever
Okay, thanks. I still have questions.
Since the title of the thread is "Your Christian Identity", here is the appropriate place to ask.
Are you okay with questions regarding your "non-denomination church"?

Anyone is free to ask me about JWs who are non-denominational, and not identified as a church.

In the Bible, the congregation (Church) is knows as the body of Christ.
The Greek word for “congregation” (ek·kle·siʹa) refers to a group of people gathered together for a common purpose. 1 Corinthians 12:28; 2 Corinthians 1:1
Some Bibles use “church” to render the Greek word ek·kle·siʹa in this and other verses. However, since many think of a church as a building used for religious services rather than as a group of people engaging in worship, the rendering “congregation” is more accurate.
While I understand there are local church groups which meet together, I don’t consider the church to be a building or limited to a local assembly.
What is/are your question(s)?

nPeace

Veteran Member
I do believe in the bible, of course I do
I don't get that impression. I've seen your posts.
Do you consider yourself stable in mind?

But it is impossible to believe in it in isolation
Picking and choosing what you like, and what you don't is like trying to make your own Bible.
How can that work?
Why won't such persons consider throwing it away like many people have, and just declare themselves agnostic, if they don't want to outright declare atheism?

How one believes in it is influenced by reason, tradition, experience, and authority
Philosophy of men.

This truth is unavoidable
Yes, but one can still try to avoid it.

That is why so many different denominations have so many different interpretations of it

Indeed that is why so many different believers within the various denominations all have a different take on it, which you would find out were you to probe them
No. That is due to people deciding that they don't want to accept the Bible "in isolation".

Question: How do you explain the fact that so many different denominations interpret it in so many different ways?
When the bible says... "...now you must put them all away from you: wrath, anger, badness, abusive speech, and obscene talk out of your mouth. . ." (Colossians 3:8)
"Put away from yourselves every kind of malicious bitterness, anger, wrath, screaming, and abusive speech, as well as everything injurious. But become kind to one another, tenderly compassionate, freely forgiving one another just as God also by Christ freely forgave you." (Ephesians 4:31-32)

...and someone says, "Don't mind that. Sometimes you have to uses abusive speech - 'bad words'.", does that sound like an interpretation to you?
It sounds more like a person deciding what they want to believe, regardless of what the Bible says.

Does that answer your question.
To put it plainly... Many people do not love God, nor care about his word. They only say it. When it comes down to the nitty gritty, they cannot hide what they are trying to. So many people do this...
(2 Timothy 4:3-4)
3 For there will be a period of time when they will not put up with the wholesome teaching, but according to their own desires, they will surround themselves with teachers to have their ears tickled. 4 They will turn away from listening to the truth and give attention to false stories.

I don't have a problem with clergy, pastors, experts or elders

Indeed Jesus Christ himself is the ultimate expert in God, because he is God

But I do believe that everyone should find their own way to God
(Acts of the Apostles 17:26-27)
26 And he made out of one man every nation of men to dwell on the entire surface of the earth, and he decreed the appointed times and the set limits of where men would dwell, 27 so that they would seek God, if they might grope for him and really find him, although, in fact, he is not far off from each one of us.
God does not leave us in the dark though.

(Matthew 24:14) . . .And this good news of the Kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come.

And that it is the role of pastors/clergy/elders to facilitate this as opposed to impose orthodoxies

I say that there are indeed right and wrong answers but that these should be explored in a context of free thought that acknowledges the fact that there are different interpretations etc.

To grow spiritually, one needs to feed one's sense of reason with scripture, and pastors et. al. can all help this

Question: Isn't it better for a person to come to Christ via their own reason, as opposed to by tradition or authority?

I'd say that it is

Quite frankly I am looking forward to the return of Jesus so he can set things straight using his own words, we then wouldn't need to have discussions such as these
God's witnesses can surely help those hungering for truth... and indeed they are doing so.

Last edited:

nPeace

Veteran Member
While I understand there are local church groups which meet together, I don’t consider the church to be a building or limited to a local assembly.
What is/are your question(s)?
Is it my browser, or did RF's fonts just get real tiny?
I'll get back to you perhaps tomorrow. Thanks.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
make sense? make FAITH.
Yes, make sense. Take Paul's advice here,

"Now, brothers and sisters, if I come to you and speak in tongues, what good will I be to you, unless I bring you some revelation or knowledge or prophecy or word of instruction? Even in the case of lifeless things that make sounds, such as the pipe or harp, how will anyone know what tune is being played unless there is a distinction in the notes? Again, if the trumpet does not sound a clear call, who will get ready for battle? So it is with you. Unless you speak intelligible words with your tongue, how will anyone know what you are saying? You will just be speaking into the air."

~1 Cor. 14:6-9​

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I don't get that impression. I've seen your posts.
Do you consider yourself stable in mind?

Picking and choosing what you like, and what you don't is like trying to make your own Bible.
How can that work?
Why won't such persons consider throwing it away like many people have, and just declare themselves agnostic, if they don't want to outright declare atheism?

Philosophy of men.

Yes, but one can still try to avoid it.

No. That is due to people deciding that they don't want to accept the Bible "in isolation".

When the bible says... "...now you must put them all away from you: wrath, anger, badness, abusive speech, and obscene talk out of your mouth. . ." (Colossians 3:8)
"Put away from yourselves every kind of malicious bitterness, anger, wrath, screaming, and abusive speech, as well as everything injurious. But become kind to one another, tenderly compassionate, freely forgiving one another just as God also by Christ freely forgave you." (Ephesians 4:31-32)

...and someone says, "Don't mind that. Sometimes you have to uses abusive speech - 'bad words'.", does that sound like an interpretation to you?
It sounds more like a person deciding what they want to believe, regardless of what the Bible says.

Does that answer your question.
To put it plainly... Many people do not love God, nor care about his word. They only say it. When it comes down to the nitty gritty, they cannot hide what they are trying to. So many people do this...
(2 Timothy 4:3-4)
3 For there will be a period of time when they will not put up with the wholesome teaching, but according to their own desires, they will surround themselves with teachers to have their ears tickled. 4 They will turn away from listening to the truth and give attention to false stories.

(Acts of the Apostles 17:26-27)
26 And he made out of one man every nation of men to dwell on the entire surface of the earth, and he decreed the appointed times and the set limits of where men would dwell, 27 so that they would seek God, if they might grope for him and really find him, although, in fact, he is not far off from each one of us.
God does not leave us in the dark though.

(Matthew 24:14) . . .And this good news of the Kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come.

God's witnesses can surely help those hungering for truth... and indeed they are doing so.
I have a question for you, a thought experiment

Say there was an isolated tribe of humans who could read and understand English

Imagine that an English edition of The Holy Bible materialised within their midst and they went about studying it and that they considered it to have been given to them by God

Ten years later, would all members of that tribe be Jahovah's Witnesses?

Yes or No?

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Imagine that an English edition of The Holy Bible materialised within their midst and they went about studying it and that they considered it to have been given to them by God

Yes or No?
Definitely not. I think they'd just be confused. Oh, wait..... ;)

Here's my thought experiment. If Jesus were on the scene in person today, would he recognize any of these 'we've got the real restored church' groups as anything resembling the essence of his teachings? My bet is he'd scratch his head and go, huh?

nPeace

Veteran Member

Yes or No?
No.
As to why. You say it materialized... out of thin air...? Why, it's Satan's work. They would be instruments is his hands to mislead thousands more.

How do we know with such certainty?
From Genesis to Malachi, the prophets foretold the Messiah.
From the Gospels, John - the forerunner of the Messiah identified that one.
The Messiah accomplished his work on earth, and left men to carry it on.
Those men did, and under the charge of the raised Messiah, in his heavenly position, they wrote down - recorded instructions for the Christian congregation.
In the final writing, John said this... 'A revelation by Jesus Christ, which God gave him, to show his slaves the things that must shortly take place. . . .' Revelation 1:1 (first Chapter)
John then says this...
Revelation 22:6-20 (last Chapter) 6 He said to me: “These words are faithful and true; yes, Jehovah, the God who inspired the prophets, has sent his angel to show his slaves the things that must shortly take place. 7 Look! I am coming quickly. Happy is anyone observing the words of the prophecy of this scroll.” ... 10 He also tells me: “Do not seal up the words of the prophecy of this scroll, for the appointed time is near. ... 17 And the spirit and the bride keep on saying, “Come!” and let anyone hearing say, “Come!” and let anyone thirsting come; let anyone who wishes take life’s water free. 18 “I am bearing witness to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this scroll: If anyone makes an addition to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this scroll; 19and if anyone takes anything away from the words of the scroll of this prophecy, God will take his portion away from the trees of life and out of the holy city, things that are written about in this scroll. 20 “The one who bears witness of these things says, ‘Yes, I am coming quickly.’” “Amen! Come, Lord Jesus.”

So We have it given to us by the reigning king Christ Jesus.
He did say . . .this good news of the Kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations, and then the end will come. (Matthew 24:14)
So any who are now receiving the message, is late.
Worst yet, they not only now have to study, and understand. They have to preach it to every nation, tribe and tongue.

For an isolated tribe, they need more than a miracle to accomplish that... Maybe they will materialize in an instant of time in every land. Even the atheists will have to believe. :)

The good news of the kingdom is already being preached throughout the world... by those who submit to Christ's rule.
Most miss out on this wonderful work, because they don't want to obey Christ. They would prefer to do what they want.
That's sad.

Jesus told us though.
(Matthew 7:13-14) 13 “Go in through the narrow gate, because broad is the gate and spacious is the road leading off into destruction, and many are going in through it; 14 whereas narrow is the gate and cramped the road leading off into life, and few are finding it.

It's our choice.
The ball is in our court, as they say.

Definitely not. I think they'd just be confused. Oh, wait..... ;)

Here's my thought experiment. If Jesus were on the scene in person today, would he recognize any of these 'we've got the real restored church' groups as anything resembling the essence of his teachings? My bet is he'd scratch his head and go, huh?
I like that thought experiment. Not the opinion. ;)
Here's why.

Before Jesus returned to heaven, he said this...
". . .you will receive power when the holy spirit comes upon you, and you will be witnesses of me in Jerusalem, in all Judea and Samaria, and to the most distant part of the earth.. . ." (Acts of the Apostles 1:8)

When Jesus returned to heaven, he did this...
". . .they all became filled with holy spirit and started to speak in different languages, just as the spirit enabled them to speak." (Acts of the Apostles 2:4)

So if Jesus is scratching his head, he must have been sleeping after he did the latter... and God too.
They would have either forgotten the work they started and have no intention of finishing it. Or simply abandoned it.
Not only that, they no longer care about any faithful servants... after John.

Nope. Not even a thought.
Jesus is very much active in behalf of his people, as he directs them in finishing the work he started. (Acts of the Apostles)

Matthew 28:19-20
19 Go, therefore, and make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all the things I have commanded you. And look! I am with you all the days until the conclusion of the system of things.

Jesus recognizes his people... quite easily too.
They are the only ones he can rely on to finish the work. Matthew 24:14

@Eddi
Take note that you haven't answered my questions. I answered yours.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
As to why. You say it materialized... out of thin air...? Why, it's Satan's work
OK then, what if God made it materialise?

Take note that you haven't answered my questions. I answered yours.
I will have a look over your questions and will give you some kind of reply

The thing is, I have got a busy few days ahead and consider doing so a big job :)

But yes, I will reply, since you replied to me

It is on my medium-term to-do list - classified non-urgent and non-important

Just don't hood your breath for it, that's what I'm saying

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I like that thought experiment. Not the opinion. ;)
Here's why.

Before Jesus returned to heaven, he said this...
". . .you will receive power when the holy spirit comes upon you, and you will be witnesses of me in Jerusalem, in all Judea and Samaria, and to the most distant part of the earth.. . ." (Acts of the Apostles 1:8)

When Jesus returned to heaven, he did this...
". . .they all became filled with holy spirit and started to speak in different languages, just as the spirit enabled them to speak." (Acts of the Apostles 2:4)

So if Jesus is scratching his head, he must have been sleeping after he did the latter... and God too.
They would have either forgotten the work they started and have no intention of finishing it. Or simply abandoned it.
So your argument is that if Jesus started the work, then therefore what you believe and teach must be what Jesus started because he wouldn't not finish what he started? Is that the line of thinking? Couldn't any oddball cult out there claim that same argument? "We are the true church, because Jesus wouldn't let the church die, and since we're here, this is proof we are the church Jesus started!". Does this sound like a good argument to you?

Not only that, they no longer care about any faithful servants... after John.
Not sure how we get from John to the modern JW sect in Brooklyn, NY. in such a clean unbroken line like that?

Jesus is very much active in behalf of his people, as he directs them in finishing the work he started. (Acts of the Apostles)
Yep, this is what the Catholic Claim. At least they are older and closer to the time of the actual apostles. ;)

Jesus recognizes his people... quite easily too.
They are the only ones he can rely on to finish the work. Matthew 24:14
No. He recognizes his people quite easily by the fruits of the spirit, not by their peculiar doctrinal ideas they use to claim they are the one true church in order to set themselves apart from other Christian sects. "By their fruits you shall know them", not by their claims to be the one true church.

101G

Yes, make sense. Take Paul's advice here,

"Now, brothers and sisters, if I come to you and speak in tongues, what good will I be to you, unless I bring you some revelation or knowledge or prophecy or word of instruction? Even in the case of lifeless things that make sounds, such as the pipe or harp, how will anyone know what tune is being played unless there is a distinction in the notes? Again, if the trumpet does not sound a clear call, who will get ready for battle? So it is with you. Unless you speak intelligible words with your tongue, how will anyone know what you are saying? You will just be speaking into the air."

~1 Cor. 14:6-9​
1 Corinthians 13:1 "Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal."1 Corinthians 13:2 "And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing."1 Corinthians 13:3 "And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing."1 Corinthians 13:4 "Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,"1 Corinthians 13:5 "Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;"1 Corinthians 13:6 "Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;"1 Corinthians 13:7 "Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things."1 Corinthians 13:8 "Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away."1 Corinthians 13:9 "For we know in part, and we prophesy in part."1 Corinthians 13:10 "But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away."1 Corinthians 13:11 "When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things."1 Corinthians 13:12 "For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known."1 Corinthians 13:13 "And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity."

191G.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
1 Corinthians 13:1 "Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal."1 Corinthians 13:2 "And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing."1 Corinthians 13:3 "And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing."1 Corinthians 13:4 "Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,"1 Corinthians 13:5 "Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;"1 Corinthians 13:6 "Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;"1 Corinthians 13:7 "Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things."1 Corinthians 13:8 "Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away."1 Corinthians 13:9 "For we know in part, and we prophesy in part."1 Corinthians 13:10 "But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away."1 Corinthians 13:11 "When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things."1 Corinthians 13:12 "For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known."1 Corinthians 13:13 "And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity."

191G.
Yes, but in communicating with others, it's best to use words others understand.

101G

Yes, but in communicating with others, it's best to use words others understand.
that's what dictionaries are for. different, or new words improve one's beliefs, with better understanding. I have no problem with understanding others, be it positive or negative.

as the apostle Peter said abut Paul. 2 Peter 3:15 "And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;" 2 Peter 3:16 "As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction."

so, go to God, and he will give you wisdom to understand.

101G.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
If you identify as Christian, what is your belief, or view on cussing - profanity - using abusive speech or words.
I'm referring to those words which most news media and TV channels censor.
giphy.gif

@Kenny @InChrist and others, I would really like to hear your side on this.
Could you also identify what faith you identify with (by faith, I mean "denomination").
"Coarse talk" is forbidden by the Christian scriptures [usually translated as "cursing"], but what defines "coarse" isn't always clear. Generally speaking, I would tend to think that it's rough talking and there can be various forms of that.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I have no problem with understanding others, be it positive or negative.
Congratulations! You spoke in 1st person perspective, rather than referring to yourself in the 3rd person as if it were someone else and not you. Way to go! I swear this is the first sentence you've used that others can understand. Keep up the good work!

BTW, the "things hard to be understood", has to do with the deep Mysteries of God. Not bad grammar or just poor communication skills on the part of the speaker, or forum poster. The deep Mysteries of God are easy by comparison to unintelligible speech. ;)