• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Best Argument for God's Existence

Looncall

No not the earth. It is the Sun dear. No Wonder, God is Omnipotent, He does what he judges. It may sound weird but not to a believer in the Creator.

But the sun neither rises or sets. That is just an illusion produced by the rotation of the earth.

Where were you educated that you do not know this?

You get my meaning. You're comparing apples and air conditioners. Books aren't printed with variations.

Intuitively yes, i understand. But on a intellectual level, books ARE also printed with variation as well. Theres many books written by different authors that are about the same subject. Of course, those authors are gonna have variation in there style and slant.

You're still assuming mutations are harmful, plus you're ignoring other mechanisms of evolution.

Im not assuming that. Mutations are harmful.

Most gene mutations are neutral, some are beneficial, some harmful. Why would a change that didn't impede reproductive success be weeded out? By what mechanism?

Well if its nuetral, then ya, it would not be selected out.

Do you have a source that proves most mutations are neutral?

They're typos in the genetic code.

Now you're changing the subject -- to abiogenesis.

Its not a change, its all a part of the issues.

Have you read anything about this field?

Yea, have you?

You seem to assume it's a complete unknown. You also seem to assume that if science can't explain something, it's evidence that Goddidit

Ok, tell me what you know?

Also, we dont use God to fill a gap. Wer not arguing from ignorence, wer arguing from what we know of information. Information comes from intelligence. Thats our experience.

Also if you want to play that ploy with this god of the gaps, i can easily flip it back on you and say 'whatever you dont know, just insert into the gap "chance+time+mutations" did it.

Most theists, including this one, dont desire to kill others that disagree. What we propose is intellectual accountability. ASPEASALY to the scientific community.
As i said, an extreme example. I am all for intellectual accountability which is why I try not to make the argument from ignorance fallacy. As has been stated Im not totally against the idea that this universe may have been created. However, if we are to be intellectually honest, we really dont know. I'm okay with admitting that. A theist is generally not..In fact they will say that their god is the creator but others are just made up. I just go one god further.

As i said, an extreme example. I am all for intellectual accountability which is why I try not to make the argument from ignorance fallacy. As has been stated Im not totally against the idea that this universe may have been created. However, if we are to be intellectually honest, we really dont know. I'm okay with admitting that. A theist is generally not..

Is saying "we dont know"intellectually honest, while saying "we know" is intellectually dishonest?

Because heres the thing, how do you truely know that no one knows?

What ive noticed is that no worldview can be proven (know) but there is some views that are more logical. The God creator view is more logical.

For many reasons. Design in the universe and diverse spiritual experiences.

In fact they will say that their god is the creator but others are just made up. I just go one god further.

I say theres many gods, but there is a source God, who is infinite and eternal. The prime reality or prime mover.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Ok....so how did the frontal lobe get made?
How did it "get made?" It developed over time.

And since we both have one, why do you trust yours more then mine?
Well, because I have to trust mine, for starters, because it's what I have. Also, I've been educated to some degree on the subject of logic and reason.

I didn't personally invent logic and reason. Human beings developed it, based on the conditions of the world we live in.

How did it "get made?" It developed over time.

Ok, how did it develop?

Well, because I have to trust mine, for starters, because it's what I have.

Ok, so should i trust mine and not yours because "its what i have"?

Also, I've been educated to some degree on the subject of logic and reason.

Ive been educated on logic and reason too. My logic leads me to a different worldview then yours. So should i trust your logic over mine or should you trust mine over yours?

I didn't personally invent logic and reason. Human beings developed it, based on the conditions of the world we live in.

And how did they develop it?

Also what IS logic?

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Ok, how did it develop?

Human prefrontal cortex: evolution, development, and pathology. - PubMed - NCBI
Primate prefrontal cortex evolution: human brains are the extreme of a lateralized ape trend. - PubMed - NCBI
THE BRAIN FROM TOP TO BOTTOM
The Neurobiology of the Prefrontal Cortex

Ok, so should i trust mine and not yours because "its what i have"?
You haven't got much of a choice.

Ive been educated on logic and reason too. My logic leads me to a different worldview then yours. So should i trust your logic over mine or should you trust mine over yours?
You've been educated on logic and reason in an academic environment, or .... ?

You have no idea what my worldview even is. Evolution isn't a worldview.

QUOTE="Jollybear, post: 5948650, member: 21529"]
And how did they develop it?
Also what IS logic?
You should probably take a philosophy class for the answers to that. There's a lot of ground to cover there.
Philosophy News | What is Logic?

So, it just evolved by unintelligent forces? Gotcha.

Also, if your brain evolved from unintelligent forces, would it then be intelligent to trust it?

You haven't got much of a choice.

Actually i do, i can trust your frontal lobe or mine. Should i trust mine?

You've been educated on logic and reason in an academic environment, or .... ?

Logic is gonna be different in a adademic environment vs just reading it from a book by yourself? Logic is logic, no matter where you learn it. THATS logic too, lol.

You have no idea what my worldview even is. Evolution isn't a worldview.

Yea, your worldview is NO God.

Evolution isnt a worldview? What is it then?

You should probably take a philosophy class for the answers to that. There's a lot of ground to cover there.
Philosophy News | What is Logic?

No, im not asking you because i dont know what logic is. Im asking because i want to see if you know what it is.

So, what is it?

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
A bunch of misspells and typos to the recipe instructions would not improve the recipe. It would destroy it.

I am not talking of a bunch. I am talking of one. So, tell me how it is impossible for a single unplanned error to actually make a better cake.

Any improvements to the recipe would come about from a person doing cooking experiments and then adding to the recipe. Hence, the evolving of the recipe comes from intelligence (the cooker).

Nope. As I showed you, an unplanned error can improve the recipe. Likely? Nope. Possible? Yup. There is absolutely nothing that prevents an undesigned error to improve a product. And this is because improvements are always possible, and a random error to hit in the area has probability bigger than zero.

Unless you are in denial of the obvious, of course.

I guess id like to see direct evidence that mutations can give beneficial change to DNA.

Why not? If beneficial changes are possible, and errors can strike anywhere, then errors can strike so that a beneficial change is made. It is a simple probability theory fact.

I think organisms can adapt slightly (moderate change) but thats within its already information. And any change that happens to an organism or even to the information still does not account for the origin of the information itself.

It depends, if that change increases information, as it is obvious that it can for what we have seen, then it can very well account for the complexity we observe today in DNA. Your design is simply the accumulation of errors.each error building on the previously selected one in a chain that very well explain the complexity of life today, starting from a very simple replicator with almost no complexity at all.

By the way, this random generation of errors followed by a selection according to some fitness function that selects some and not others, is the basis of genetic programming in computer science. In this case, the computer scientists do not design the end solution, they let the errors happen, be selected by a stupid unconscious function, until you have a possible solution. No design needed.

But this is biology 101 since 150 years. Or do you think all species have been instanciated indipendently from each other? 100 millions of them? :)

I think it is vastly more probable that the ancient book that makes you believe that, might not be entirely accurate.

Ciao

- viole

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
So, it just evolved by unintelligent forces? Gotcha.
It evolved over time.

Also, if your brain evolved from unintelligent forces, would it then be intelligent to trust it?
I'm not sure this question makes sense.

My heart evolved from unintelligent sources, as did my kidney, liver, fingers, toes, etc. I trust that they will do what they're supposed to do, yes.
Actually i do, i can trust your frontal lobe or mine. Should i trust mine?
You could trust the collective knowledge accrued by human beings over our time on this planet.

Logic is gonna be different in a adademic environment vs just reading it from a book by yourself? Logic is logic, no matter where you learn it. THATS logic too, lol.
Pardon?

Logic is logic. There's just a lot to it critical, logical thinking that is covered very well in philosophy courses. Logic isn't just whatever makes sense to each of us personally.

Yea, your worldview is NO God.
There is much more to my worldview that "no god."

Evolution isnt a worldview? What is it then?
No, it isn't a worldview any more than gravity is a world view. It's just a description about the way something in the world works.

No, im not asking you because i dont know what logic is. Im asking because i want to see if you know what it is.

So, what is it?
LOL

It evolved over time.

I'm not sure this question makes sense.

My heart evolved from unintelligent sources, as did my kidney, liver, fingers, toes, etc. I trust that they will do what they're supposed to do, yes.

The difference is that your toes, heart, ect do the same as mine. But, your brain and my brain made two different conclusions on God. So one of our brains did not do what it suppose too. So, should i trust my brain or your brain?

You could trust the collective knowledge accrued by human beings over our time on this planet.

Which is what?

Pardon?

Logic is logic. There's just a lot to it critical, logical thinking that is covered very well in philosophy courses. Logic isn't just whatever makes sense to each of us personally.

Are you telling me you dont know what logic is? If you knew you wouldnt need to keep saying take a course. Im not taking a course, sorry. Im asking you a questiin if you know what it is? If so, what is it?

There is much more to my worldview that "no god."

Right, no God, plus unintelligent forces made it all, lol.

No, it isn't a worldview any more than gravity is a world view. It's just a description about the way something in the world works.

Ok, well, God is not a worldview either. GOD is a description to explain all the design and order we see in the world.

:D:p

You got that right.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
The difference is that your toes, heart, ect do the same as mine. But, your brain and my brain made two different conclusions on God. So one of our brains did not do what it suppose too. So, should i trust my brain or your brain?
My heart doesn't necessarily work the same as yours does. I have a heart murmur, do you?

Which is what?
All the knowledge we have obtained since we started looking for it, and everything that been systematically tested multiple times, by multiple independent thinkers and researchers.
Some of those things are the rules of logic and critical thinking.

Are you telling me you dont know what logic is? If you knew you wouldnt need to keep saying take a course. Im not taking a course, sorry. Im asking you a questiin if you know what it is? If so, what is it?
Why do you need someone to tell you what logic is? Did you look at the links I provided?

Right, no God, plus unintelligent forces made it all, lol.

I'm not entirely sure you know what a worldview is. My worldview is rooted in humanism.

Ok, well, God is not a worldview either. GOD is a description to explain all the design and order we see in the world.
Yes, I know.

When you can demonstrate that any god(s) exist, please let me know.

:D:p

You got that right.
Yes, I know what logic is. I have been educated on the subject at a post secondary institution. What I'm telling you is that I am not going to give you a course in logic, as it is far too complex a subject to get into here and the thread is not about a course on logic.

I'll tell you what logic isnt; it isn't "Well it makes sense to me, so it's true."

My heart doesn't necessarily work the same as yours does. I have a heart murmur, do you?

Heart murmur? No. But, if your heart isnt working right, how do you know your brain is? Our feet work the same im sure, so, should i trust my brain or yours?

All the knowledge we have obtained since we started looking for it, and everything that been systematically tested multiple times, by multiple independent thinkers and researchers.
Some of those things are the rules of logic and critical thinking.

Sure. Why not.

Why do you need someone to tell you what logic is? Did you look at the links I provided?

Briefly. I wanna keep it simple. The true sign of intelligence is someone that can take a complicated subject and pound it into simplicity.

I'm not entirely sure you know what a worldview is. My worldview is rooted in humanism.

Why is humanism your worldview?

Yes, I know.

When you can demonstrate that any god(s) exist, please let me know.

Do i need to demonstrate to you that i exist? Or is it reasonable to believe i do based on the information being typed to you?

Likewise, design, order and information in the world indicates a creator. The creator itself dont need to be demonstrated.

Yes, I know what logic is. I have been educated on the subject at a post secondary institution. What I'm telling you is that I am not going to give you a course in logic, as it is far too complex a subject to get into here and the thread is not about a course on logic.

I didnt ask you for a course in logic. I asked you what it is. You interpret that to mean i want a course? No, im asking you for a simple description.

I'll tell you what logic isnt; it isn't "Well it makes sense to me, so it's true."

I agree with that.

So, there being no God to you based on that making sense to you, does not make that true. :cool::cool::):D

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Heart murmur? No. But, if your heart isnt working right, how do you know your brain is? Our feet work the same im sure, so, should i trust my brain or yours?
I've had scans taken from my brain. So far, so good.

Sure. Why not.
Ummm ... okay?

Briefly. I wanna keep it simple. The true sign of intelligence is someone that can take a complicated subject and pound it into simplicity.
Go start a thread about logic then.

Why is humanism your worldview?
Because I think it is the view that results in the greatest amount of well-being and happiness for everyone on the planet.

Do i need to demonstrate to you that i exist? Or is it reasonable to believe i do based on the information being typed to you?
You? No.
God(s)? Yes.

Human beings demonstrably exist, so the claim is ordinary and testable.
God(s) do not demonstrably exist, so the claim is extraordinary and potentially testable. Yet, nobody has managed to demonstrate the existence of any god(s) as of yet.

Likewise, design, order and information in the world indicates a creator. The creator itself dont need to be demonstrated.
Of course the creator needs to be demonstrated, since your positing it's existence.

We already know humans exist and design things. We don't know the same thing about god(s).

I didnt ask you for a course in logic. I asked you what it is. You interpret that to mean i want a course? No, im asking you for a simple description.
You should read what I said again, you're confused about it. What I said was that it's a complicated, in-depth topic.

I agree with that.

So, there being no God to you based on that making sense to you, does not make that true. :cool::cool::):D
Demonstrate a god exists, and I'll believe in that god. Simple.:cool::)

Last edited:
I've had scans taken from my brain. So far, so good.

So, should i trust your brain or my brain when it comes to Gods existence?

Ummm ... okay?

You seam perplexed? :)

Go start a thread about logic then.

Only if you contribute.

Because I think it is the view that results in the greatest amount of well-being and happiness for everyone on the planet.

Ohhhhhh, so let me get this straght, we theists get accused of having faith because its comforting. Then when we deny thats the reason, its not accepted. But here the real beans are being spilled out. You believe in the worldview of humanism because its the most comforting. Its not based on intellectualism, its based on emotionalism.

Thanks for the admittence. :cool:

You? No.
God(s)? Yes.

Human beings demonstrably exist

Humans yes, but me to you? Nope. I have not been demonstrated to exist to you. Yet you believe i exist. You have faith i exist. You are going against your principles. You should not be having faith i exist before its demonstrated to you that i exist.

so the claim is ordinary and testable.

Oh no, it has not been tested that i exist to you. No sir yee.

God(s) do not demonstrably exist, so the claim is extraordinary and potentially testable. Yet, nobody has managed to demonstrate the existence of any god(s) as of yet.

Theres lots of testimony experiences of God. Millions actually. Just look at NDEs. Do you believe dreams exist? Dreams havent been physically demonstrated to exist.

Of course the creator needs to be demonstrated, since your positing it's existence.

Do dreams need to be demonstrated? My last dream was a snake bite. Do i need to demonstrate that in order for it to be true?

We already know humans exist and design things. We don't know the same thing about god(s).

If we see the same hallmarks of order, design and information in nature, is it such a stretch to infer a designer?

You should read what I said again, you're confused about it. What I said was that it's a complicated, in-depth topic.

And like i said, brilliant people who are very well informed and learned on a topic can take a complicated topic and pound it into simplicity. So, lets test how brilliant you are. Come on, what is logic? You took a course after all. Should be EASY to answer.

Demonstrate a god exists, and I'll believe in that god. Simple.:cool::)

I got a question. If hypothetically i did demonstrate God exists, and this God told you he wanted you to be his slave, would you say yes or no?

Baroodi

But the sun neither rises or sets. That is just an illusion produced by the rotation of the earth.

Where were you educated that you do not know this?

alright, I am bad in astronomy. The people will see the sun rising from the west. Probably as mentioned in the video the earth will go the other way round.

I am not talking of a bunch. I am talking of one. So, tell me how it is impossible for a single unplanned error to actually make a better cake.

Well, just one error decreases the odds of making a better recipe cake. But many errors increases the odds. But one good error out of many bad errors? Its still hard to believe it can happen.

But, lets say it happens.

So, heres the original recipe for sponge cake. Ill post just the ingrediants for simplicity.

6 large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder

Now, making copies upon copies upon copies of this for box mixes, we will assume a human copies it instead of a machine, that way we can get some errors going on. Ok, what would happen is the same thing i showed you above when i typed out my paragraph real fast. Eventually it destroys everything. So, wed need many good errors to happen just to fix the destruction before we can even add further information or further parts to the recipe.

So, check this out, ill type as fast as i can again >

6 larfr egg
I cup granuliTed sugar
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder

Now try again.

6 large eggs
1 cip granulated sugar
1 c up all purpose flour
1/2 tsp bakibf powxrr

You see? It dont seam to be making much headway.

Let me try again

6 large eggs
1 cup grabu lated sugar
1 cup all purpo se foour
1/2 tsp bakinf powde t

Still isn't adding more information or useful ingrediants to the recipe.

Hell, let me go bazurk fast.

6 largge eghs
1 cup granulafred sugar
1 cup all puprbdde floyr
1/3 tsp baking powfsr

Still, nothing usefull. It only destroys it.

Nope. As I showed you, an unplanned error can improve the recipe. Likely? Nope.

Id agree with that based on my experiment above.

Possible? Yup. There is absolutely nothing that prevents an undesigned error to improve a product. And this is because improvements are always possible, and a random error to hit in the area has probability bigger than zero.

Unless you are in denial of the obvious, of course.

I might be in denial of it. But, lets say in the experiment above the word "1 tps coco powder" got added to the cake mix and that got naturally selected in because people liked the cake having a chocolatey flavor. Those words to "hit" like that by accident would take a very long time. But, not only that, but by the time they hit, the whole recipe would have had so many errors, it probably would not be a cake recipe anymore. Unless there was a self correction going on for bad or nuetral errors, thus making it go back to being a cake recipe.

But heres the kicker. If theres a correction going on, doesn't that imply intelligence?

Also none of these errors tskes into account the origin of the cake mix, a human mind or cook invented this cake mix.

It depends, if that change increases information, as it is obvious that it can for what we have seen, then it can very well account for the complexity we observe today in DNA. Your design is simply the accumulation of errors.each error building on the previously selected one in a chain that very well explain the complexity of life today, starting from a very simple replicator with almost no complexity at all.

Ok, i have never made this point yet, but here it is: lets say the DNA is at the begining and its simple, not complex. Now, errors and natural selection take place. Isnt natural selection IN A SENSE intelligence? Because it seams to know what is best designed for the environment.

By the way, this random generation of errors followed by a selection according to some fitness function that selects some and not others, is the basis of genetic programming in computer science. In this case, the computer scientists do not design the end solution, they let the errors happen, be selected by a stupid unconscious function, until you have a possible solution. No design needed.

But don't the scientists (a.k.a intelligence) program the computer selector? Its still programed.

But this is biology 101 since 150 years. Or do you think all species have been instanciated indipendently from each other? 100 millions of them? :)

I think kinds or families came out of eachother.

I think it is vastly more probable that the ancient book that makes you believe that, might not be entirely accurate.

Ciao

- viole

This is just my interpretation of the bible, others interpret different and thus believe the same as you.

Is saying "we dont know"intellectually honest, while saying "we know" is intellectually dishonest?

Because heres the thing, how do you truely know that no one knows?

What ive noticed is that no worldview can be proven (know) but there is some views that are more logical. The God creator view is more logical.

For many reasons. Design in the universe and diverse spiritual experiences.

I say theres many gods, but there is a source God, who is infinite and eternal. The prime reality or prime mover.
Logic is an great tool. It can help you think in an orderly fashion. What it cannot do is give actual evidence. You can look at the book written on logic by Emmanual Kant to fact check this. We have noticed that the universe is under no obligation to make sense to us. Just because something seems "logical" does not make it true. As I have said in other threads, this is the argument (from ignorance) that seems to turn most people to belief. It's amazing that when i stated this, many claimed this was a weak argument to start belief from.
The various religions cannot all be true since each makes exclusive claims that exclude all others. Yet spirtitual experience seems to hit every where. So again, there might be a creator but not one that adheres to any specific faith. THen again it may just be what the human brain does at times. logically which is more likely? With the evidence we have i'm placing my bet on the idea of no god.or at least that we cannot know for sure.
I feel it is a good quality to admit what I dont know. However, trying to convince me with only logic will not work. You need evidence not ignorance.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Well, just one error decreases the odds of making a better recipe cake. But many errors increases the odds. But one good error out of many bad errors? Its still hard to believe it can happen.

But, lets say it happens.

So, heres the original recipe for sponge cake. Ill post just the ingrediants for simplicity.

6 large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder

Now, making copies upon copies upon copies of this for box mixes, we will assume a human copies it instead of a machine, that way we can get some errors going on. Ok, what would happen is the same thing i showed you above when i typed out my paragraph real fast. Eventually it destroys everything. So, wed need many good errors to happen just to fix the destruction before we can even add further information or further parts to the recipe.

So, check this out, ill type as fast as i can again >

6 larfr egg
I cup granuliTed sugar
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder

Now try again.

6 large eggs
1 cip granulated sugar
1 c up all purpose flour
1/2 tsp bakibf powxrr

You see? It dont seam to be making much headway.

Let me try again

6 large eggs
1 cup grabu lated sugar
1 cup all purpo se foour
1/2 tsp bakinf powde t

Still isn't adding more information or useful ingrediants to the recipe.

Hell, let me go bazurk fast.

6 largge eghs
1 cup granulafred sugar
1 cup all puprbdde floyr
1/3 tsp baking powfsr

Still, nothing usefull. It only destroys it.

Id agree with that based on my experiment above.

I might be in denial of it. But, lets say in the experiment above the word "1 tps coco powder" got added to the cake mix and that got naturally selected in because people liked the cake having a chocolatey flavor. Those words to "hit" like that by accident would take a very long time. But, not only that, but by the time they hit, the whole recipe would have had so many errors, it probably would not be a cake recipe anymore. Unless there was a self correction going on for bad or nuetral errors, thus making it go back to being a cake recipe.

But heres the kicker. If theres a correction going on, doesn't that imply intelligence?

Also none of these errors tskes into account the origin of the cake mix, a human mind or cook invented this cake mix.

Ok, i have never made this point yet, but here it is: lets say the DNA is at the begining and its simple, not complex. Now, errors and natural selection take place. Isnt natural selection IN A SENSE intelligence? Because it seams to know what is best designed for the environment.

But don't the scientists (a.k.a intelligence) program the computer selector? Its still programed.

I think kinds or families came out of eachother.

This is just my interpretation of the bible, others interpret different and thus believe the same as you.

Your fallacy is based on a misunderstanding of what an occurence of several errors mean. And you neglect a simple fact: errors that destroy things disappear. The recipe is thrown away and the old one is restored. Errors that improve things REMAIN, until the old recipe is replaced by the new that oncorporate the “error”.

It is not like you have a bunch of errors and then an improvement. Event though that would be still possible, the probabilities would be astronomically low.

No. The trick is: if one (improbable yet possible) error improves the product, then, unlike bad errors, that error REMAINS. It is naturally (in case of animals) or artificially (in case of cakes) selected, but the end result is a new recipe that incorporates the error and replace all the others that don’t have it. It will lose its ontology of error and will become the new standard.

The fact that good errors remain is central. They are automatically selected by randomly improving things. And better things tend to substitute the bad ones. And that persistence is not random anymore.

And once the new recipe plus error become the new standard, you are ready for the next lucky strike, maybe after a long time of stasis. Which will also remain, and become the new standard. And so on.

Wait long enough and you will have a product that its vastly better than the original, even though it was not designed at all.

Again, this is the essence. And logically it is flawless.

Ciao

- viole