• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You! Stop reading this and click on this thread!

Baha'i: Replacement Theology or Harmonizing Theology

• Total voters

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
OK, I clicked on the thread (as you ordered).
But I won't partake in the poll.
It's an arcane topic of which I know nothing, & plan to keep it that way.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Thanks for dropping by.

This thread was made as a continuation to a debate taking place in another thread with another poster who may or may not want to remain anonymous and so I'll refrain from calling him out.

The question of this thread is as follows:

In as much as Christianity replaces the Judaism and Islam replaces the Christianity (and by extension Judaism), my stance is that Bahha'i replaces all previous religions as the new standard for people to follow.

The reason being, although the Baha'i peoples are wont to make the claim that they accept all religions as coming from the same god and propose religious unity across the spectrum of all [what they believe to be] divinely inspired religions, I believe they do so, by replacing previous religions' laws and theological stances.

The other stance as I've understood it, states that all religions retain their original Laws and philosophies for their own people and Baha'i is merely another friendly player at the pluralist table. Its Laws apply only to its own people and there is no requirement whatsoever on anyone else to become Baha'i. Nor, aside for pioneering, do they engage in any missionary activity.

Because of familiarity, I'll use my own religion as an example of this. Although I believe it is true for Christianity and Islam as well.

In Judaism, it is well known that a Judaism people may not become a member of another faith. One who does so is considered an heretic and there are various laws that apply when dealing with such a person.

Ejemplo Numero Uno
In Baha'i it is perfectly acceptable for a Judaism people to convert to Baha'i.

To me this means, that although Baha'i accept Judaism, they have replaced the Law restricting Jews from converting to another religion, with their own law that allows it.

Esempio Numero Due:
Judaism comes with a predefined set of Laws for non-Judaism people called the Seven Noahide Laws. Its a code of Laws that we believe applies to all non-Judaism people. Baha'i, is a religion that applies to all non-Judaism people. Baha'i is not a fulfillment of the Seven Noahide Laws, it contradicts it.

Hence by allowing the Baha'i people to transgress the Noahide Laws in favor of Baha'i, it has replaced the Noahide Laws for non-Judaism people with its own.

Exemple Numéro Trois
Judaism has a fairly well defined eschatology. It involves a messianic figure doing stuff for the Judaism peoples and the nation peoples. It involves G-d directly doing stuff for the Judaism peoples and the nation peoples.
None of those things are a religious creating religious unity by bringing together different religions in order to create peace on earth and passing the buck to another religious leader a thousand or so odd years later.

This is again, a replacement of previous eschatological views.

I can think of a few other examples, but because I know you, dear poster are quite busy checking out other threads, I'll stop here and invite you to comment and vote!
One of the things that is often said by Baha'is is that God gave guidance to all people. There was always some rules or "laws". Some laws were spiritual and everlasting. Others were social laws for a specific time and specific people and were only meant to be temporary. With that a Baha'i can show that things like "love your neighbor", "Don't lie", "Don't steal" are present and true in all religions and therefore are everlasting spiritual laws. From there they can say all religions are one, are from one God and all teach the same thing. But, obviously, religions don't teach the same thing. And, they teach totally different things about who and what is "God".

One of the Baha'is favorite analogies is to say that religions are like the different grades at school. When society was like a little child, it went to 1st grade. Later, it moved on to the higher grades. Now, it's ready for High School or college with Baha'u'llah. The previous teachers taught, Krishna, Buddha, Moses, Jesus, Mohammad etc., people what was needed to get to the next grade, as if there was a logical and consistent flow from one religion to another. After studying just the very basics of several religions, I don't see it. And, I really feel that the Baha'i Faith is essentially saying that all religions of the past are wrong and don't have the teachings that can unite all people. So, in a nice way, they are saying that your religion was fine, but now it's time to turn to Baha'u'llah and leave your old religion behind.

Tumah

Veteran Member
One of the things that is often said by Baha'is is that God gave guidance to all people. There was always some rules or "laws". Some laws were spiritual and everlasting. Others were social laws for a specific time and specific people and were only meant to be temporary. With that a Baha'i can show that things like "love your neighbor", "Don't lie", "Don't steal" are present and true in all religions and therefore are everlasting spiritual laws. From there they can say all religions are one, are from one God and all teach the same thing. But, obviously, religions don't teach the same thing. And, they teach totally different things about who and what is "God".

One of the Baha'is favorite analogies is to say that religions are like the different grades at school. When society was like a little child, it went to 1st grade. Later, it moved on to the higher grades. Now, it's ready for High School or college with Baha'u'llah. The previous teachers taught, Krishna, Buddha, Moses, Jesus, Mohammad etc., people what was needed to get to the next grade, as if there was a logical and consistent flow from one religion to another. After studying just the very basics of several religions, I don't see it. And, I really feel that the Baha'i Faith is essentially saying that all religions of the past are wrong and don't have the teachings that can unite all people. So, in a nice way, they are saying that your religion was fine, but now it's time to turn to Baha'u'llah and leave your old religion behind.
This is basically what I've been saying.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
This is basically what I've been saying.
I really don't see the progression between religions. One Baha'i said that a person who really knew God would recognize the "manifestation" and his teaching and would join the new religion. So I asked if Christians, then, should have joined Islam. He said "yes". But then he also says that the teachings of all religions has been misinterpreted. So, as practiced, they are all wrong. So why would anybody leave their religion just to join another wrong one? Except, of course, the Baha'is... They have the true interpretation. And, which religious group doesn't think they have it right? And, have verses from Holy Books to prove it.

But, if a majority of people became Baha'i, and the Baha'i world order was put in place, what would the world be like? Would it be in peace?