• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You only use 10% of your brain...

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
There is a myth in circulation that humans only use 10% of their brains:

Ten percent of the brain myth - Wikipedia

It has been decisively debunked

However, I think there may be some truth in it...

I believe that humans are actually super-intelligent artificially intelligent virtual people who are living in a computer simulation...

I believe that our super intelligence has been dialled down to human levels, and that the workings of our minds have been modelled on the workings of comparativley limited organic brains - as our job is to help simulate humankind, which I believe has actually gone extinct in the world outside The Simulation (see this old thread)

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
Dunno whether they still do, but I recall the argument that "we only use 10% of our brains" as a marketing slogan used by Scientology, together with a picture of Albert Einstein.

If you believe in simulation theory, then what would be the purpose of said simulation? In Simulacron-3, the book which was adapted as World on a Wire and The 13th Floor, the purpose of it was marketing research.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
The various simulation theories can be set up to be non-falsifiable, which makes them less fun.

BUT, what we can say, is that if this IS all a simulation, it sure takes a LOT of computing power to keep it all running :)

Heyo

Veteran Member

I believe that humans are actually super-intelligent artificially intelligent virtual people who are living in a computer simulation...

I believe that our super intelligence has been dialled down to human levels, and that the workings of our minds have been modelled on the workings of comparativley limited organic brains - as our job is to help simulate humankind, which I believe has actually gone extinct in the world outside The Simulation (see this old thread)
If anyone, least of all Einstein, has said something about 10% and the brain, it may have been misinterpreted by someone using less than 10%.

We use only 10% of the potential of our brains.

In that form it makes sense. With some training everyone could remember hundreds of items, calculate simple to medium numerical problems in their head, be much more aware of their surroundings and learn to focus much better.
The potential is there. It's just a question if you want to unlock it (and put the work in). It's the same question if you want to go to the gym and unlock the potential of your muscles.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

In my case, my wife tells me that 10% is way too high. :emojconfused: I wonder what she means by that? :shrug:

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
Yah... I'm not sure I use only 10% of my brain because of any kind of restricted super human intelligence, but that certainly sounds nicer to me than it being because I'm the product of severe inbreeding 20 generations in. :D