• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You MUST hand over your phone to the police or lose driving privileges.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Welcome the Textalyzer.

If course New York proposal now pending to combat illegal texting with police now empowered to demand personal phones from drivers involved in accidents and hooking it up to the computer to see what that person's phone was doing recently.

If course no phone content will be downloaded. Just usage data. They promise. Really.

Ahem.....cough....cough.....

Could be coming to your area soon.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...yzer-now-meet-the-roadside-police-textalyzer/

Ok with it or not?

Mindmaster

Premium Member
I don't have a phone, officer.

Also, free tip of the day: Law enforcement can force you to give up passwords, but not pins. Use pins. :)

Mindmaster

Premium Member

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm OK with it. If you do nothing wrong you have nothing to fear on all the different kinds of security checking. People want safety and security and it comes with a little inconvenience; so what; co-operate.

This particular proposal makes some sense to me, but I'd need to consider further.
However, the view that 'Only the guilty have anything to fear' as a general approach to life is naive.
Ask any off-duty cop.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
Welcome the Textalyzer.

If course New York proposal now pending to combat illegal texting with police now empowered to demand personal phones from drivers involved in accidents and hooking it up to the computer to see what that person's phone was doing recently.

If course no phone content will be downloaded. Just usage data. They promise. Really.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...yzer-now-meet-the-roadside-police-textalyzer/

Ok with it or not?

Sounds excessively intrusive. No doubt they'll use refusal to have your phone searched without reasonable suspicion as reasonable suspicion for having your phone searched. That's happened to me before with friends - we've been stopped and had our things rummaged through because the police were suspicious that we didn't consent to being searched for no reason.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Welcome the Textalyzer.

Ok with it or not?

NJ plans to up the fines for Texting or Distracted driving one of the local radio talents suggested taking away the phones instead. To be honest, I think taking away the phones would work better. These people that constantly text would find that threat far more scary. Loosing your phone for a day, a week, a month or permanently quite a problem for this generation. Yes they can get a new phone but think of all the things they would have to change and setup, they would not be happy.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Welcome the Textalyzer.

Ok with it or not?
one wonders why there is a need for such an invasive contraption.
I have yet to see a phone that does not time/date stamp text messages....

Twilight Hue

I'm OK with it. If you do nothing wrong you have nothing to fear on all the different kinds of security checking. People want safety and security and it comes with a little inconvenience; so what; co-operate.

That response is getting way too cliche. There are still some things that needs addressing.

The problem is not weither it's going to be determined if the phone was used. I'd much rather that would be ascertained through the court system rather than demanded on site.

It arguably paves a way towards a degree of oppression as this skips legal venues ie; courts, and the person at the time of the incident is at the mercy of the officer in question without any lawyer or representive present. Its encroches further on a person's privacy and ammendent rights for unreasonable search.

That needs to be preserved if we are to remain a free society even if the issue over texting remains valid.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
It's amazing, how rarely, feasible technological solutions are implemented to curb or reduce harmful or hazardous behaviors.

Twilight Hue

NJ plans to up the fines for Texting or Distracted driving one of the local radio talents suggested taking away the phones instead. To be honest, I think taking away the phones would work better. These people that constantly text would find that threat far more scary. Loosing your phone for a day, a week, a month or permanently quite a problem for this generation. Yes they can get a new phone but think of all the things they would have to change and setup, they would not be happy.
It would get the desired result, but would you like a society that confiscates upon demand one's personal and private information and belongings? What about contact issues should a family member or friend need to contact to relay emergency information and such? One needs to remember phones are no longer phones anymore. There's much much more now that needs to be considered.

Twilight Hue

I'd likely go for a mandate that phones have a feature for which texting is automatically disabled if the phone senses motion via GPS system. That will force people to stop and text while stationary while keeping law enforcement out of the picture to address more pressing issues than chasing down texting violations.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
It would get the desired result, but would you like a society that confiscates upon demand one's personal and private information and belongings? What about contact issues should a family member or friend need to contact to relay emergency information and such? One needs to remember phones are no longer phones anymore. There's much much more now that needs to be considered.

I would be willing to sacrifice to save lives and there is a precedent in my state. If you are pulled over at a stop and they want to bring you in for questioning or to take a sobriety or drug test they tow your car. You are responsible to pick up and pay for the car towing and storage after they release you, even if no charges were made.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
I'd likely go for a mandate that phones have a feature for which texting is automatically disabled if the phone senses motion via GPS system. That will force people to stop and text while stationary while keeping law enforcement out of the picture to address more pressing issues than chasing down texting violations.
That actually opens up a whole other can of worms, GPS required to be on at all times.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

The complainers would be the passenger's.

Twilight Hue

That actually opens up a whole other can of worms, GPS required to be on at all times.

Probably. Most have it on anyways I suspect. I do personally.

Even if this proposal passes into a law, the advances made already in hands free texting will take the forefront making this proposition useless over time. Some are even intergrated into the cars themselves.