• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You don't eat pork? Wear this so we do not serve it to you

Flankerl

Not every Jew upholds the dietary laws. Just like not every Jew upholds the Shabbat or various other laws.

Jews from the former Soviet Union to a higher degree because their religion was basically banned in the Soviet Union.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
I'm Muslim and I personally don't see a problem in the main idea behind it (not the disc it self for now). I personally would use it to avoid being given pork by accident, if it does not look offensive. Any pics? The link is blocked here at work.

My message to the authority that came up with this thought, find a non offensive looking/implying idea.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Muslim students in French school forced to wear colored discs for not eating pork!

Pig is an impure animal. Muslims and observant Jews do not consume its meat. In the West, especially in Europe, pig meat is much cherished. It is their choice but a school in France forced Muslim and Jewish students to wear colored discs so that canteen staff would not serve them pork meat at lunchtime. It outraged parents and revived memories of the Nazis' practice of forcing Jews to wear the yellow star during WWII.

Paris, Crescent-online
Monday September 28, 2015, 09:49 DST

Reviving memories of forcing Jewish people to wear the yellow star in Nazi Germany, a French school made Muslim and Jewish students to wear colored discs around their necks.

The ostensible reason was that canteen staff would not serve them pork during lunchtime.

Staff at Piedalloues Primary School in Auxerre, Burgundy ordered students to wear red color discs if they did not eat pork and yellow discs if they did not eat meat at all.

Of the 1,500 students at school, only 18 were made to wear the discs but it caused outrage among parents and community leaders.

The town’s mayor has ordered a probe into the incident and passed on the responsibility for this outrageous act onto canteen staff.

He said the decision was made without the authorities’ knowledge and it has been withdrawn but tried to justify the act by saying the canteen staff were only trying to be careful so as not to serve pork to students that did not eat it.

If there are 18 students that did not eat pork, why was it not possible for these students to sit together in one area so that there would be no confusion?

“It’s revolting. It reminds you of the darkest times,” a local councillor, Malika Ounès was quoted as saying.

“Practices like this are not acceptable. No one has the right to impose this on children.”

Christian Sautier, director of communications in the mayor’s office said it was “an isolated, clumsy and unfortunate initiative” that lasted only one day.

France claims to be an egalitarian society proclaiming such values as “liberty” and “fraternity” but the establishment insists on imposing its values on others.

The French Far-Right Nationalist leaders in past have tried to force school canteens from serving non-pork meals to students.

Even former president Nicholas Sarkozy, son of Hungarian immigrants and himself of Jewish extraction, was also among centre-Right leaders to have opposed serving of pork-free options in schools.

State schools in France have banned headscarves and the French government imposed a ban on wearing the niqab in public in 2011.

So much for French freedom and respect for others, with the pork scandal the latest of its racist, Islamophobic acts.

Unfortunately it will not be the last.

Source: http://www.crescent-online.net/2015...ating-pork-crescent-online-5105-articles.html
Seems to me the whole thing is a big steaming pile of hypocrisy that smells like bull ****.
They do not want their kids singled out by the school but are ignoring the fact they are the ones who singled them out when they threw the fit over not having a pork free option...

I would suggest that the school do like the otther schools in the district and just serve what they have to everyone equally.
When the parents whine about the lack of no pork option, look them right in the eye and tell them they tried, but the same parents singling their children out over the pork issue are the same ones whining about the school being able to easily identify them for lunch.

Jumi

I personally think its ridiculers, if its going to be so complicated then eat at home or take your lunch to school or whatever, you can't go wrong then and you will also save money.
I don't think they will be happy with that since school lunch is free, well not sure about France, but in many European countries. They would claim discrimination.

Jumi

Another problem with the pork-free and vegetarian badges is that once you have that badge you can't eat outside of your restriction. So if there's bad veggie food one day you eat pork, not going to happen once you have marked yourself...

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Ah, I think whoever came up with this is actually trying to help. Let's give them the benefit of the doubt for now. Try to play along with me for now guys, I'm Muslim and I'm heavily involved in this. I think I can have a saying in it. Unless there is something I don't understand in the whole thing?

Jumi

I'm pretty sure they were trying to help, because they make pork-free food for Muslim students and vegetarian for vegetarian students. Though I'm not sure about vegetarian. That's how it works in my country at least.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
I'm pretty sure they were trying to help, because they make pork-free food for Muslim students and vegetarian for vegetarian students. Though I'm not sure about vegetarian. That's how it works in my country at least.

I think the case for vegetarians would be much easier to control since it is easy to separate veggies and meat. Maybe that's why they didn't think of it yet?
While pork could consist of other products like guillotine and lard which can be used to cook other kinds of meat as well.
Not really sure, I'm not vegetarian (humans by nature aren't really, but that's just a joke :p).

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Singling out Muslim kids will always be a bad idea. Simply make meats optional. No other school sees the need to color-code their children.
How are meats not an option? I thought the kids weren't identifying themselves properly which led to this.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Holy straw man alert.
Sorry, it was a joke so bad I tried to push it off on @Wirey. (Nazi->Jew->tattoo) If I have to explain it the world has improved since my childhood.

What is your solution to the issue that Muslim kids were getting food cooked with pork accidentally?
Simplest solution would be for religious people to stop dragging ancient cultural prohibitions into the 21st century. Properly cooked pork is safe and healthy food. It is irrational to stress over eating some. Just because ancient people did doesn't change the facts.

Second best solution is for parents to take care of their own children. If they don't want them to eat school food fine. Take the responsibility themselves. Pack a lunch for your child. It is easy. My Mom did it for all six of her kids.

Thirdly, having a vegetarian option would be good if the school can manage it. It solves all irrational religious problems. It is also healthy for the kids, good for the planet, there is no downside to a meat free meal occasionally.
How many solutions do you need for this ?
Tom

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Guys, it could be other than just health reasons, tho health reasons is there in some conditions. Maybe dignity in choosing what to eat is there between the lines or maybe pork gives us people, or our off-spring and later descendants, some of its nature with time like ignoring cleanliness.

Not sure about other religions, but as far as I know scriptures in Islam do not give details about it. It only said it is foul and did not even specify the kind of foul it is.

Wirey

Fartist
Guys, it could be other than just health reasons, tho health reasons is there in some conditions. Maybe dignity in choosing what to eat is there between the lines or maybe pork gives us people, or our off-spring and later descendants, some of its nature with time like ignoring cleanliness.

Not sure about other religions, but as far as I know scriptures in Islam do not give details about it. It only said it is foul and did not even specify the kind of foul it is.

Are you trying to claim that we take on the personality of the animals we eat?

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Are you trying to claim that we take on the personality of the animals we eat?
I'm only speculating for now. I mean, people do say "you are what you eat". I eat too much fish and I'm a good swimmer and a scardy cat... go figure!