• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You don't eat pork? Wear this so we do not serve it to you

dust1n

Zindīq
servers can see at a glance that a student has dietary restrictions, without having to examine IDs

Well then FH's solution makes more sense; give everyone a color coded necklace of some kind. Just seems weird to me to have people publicly expose their dietary habits to everyone.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Well then FH's solution makes more sense; give everyone a color coded necklace of some kind. Just seems weird to me to have people publicly expose their dietary habits to everyone.
I mean, it's not the government's fault that they refuse to eat a perfectly safe, cheap, and available source of protein and deliciousness (and dictate this to their children). It isn't a health concern, so, if they feel that strongly about it, they should be willing to put up with a tid bit of inconvenience, IMHO. It's like getting more time on the SATs when you have ADD. It outs you as having a mental hindrance, but, if it's worth it ...

dust1n

Zindīq
I mean, it's not the government's fault that they refuse to eat a perfectly safe, cheap, and available source of protein and deliciousness (and dictate this to their children). It isn't a health concern, so, if they feel that strongly about it, they should be willing to put up with a tid bit of inconvenience, IMHO. It's like getting more time on the SATs when you have ADD. It outs you as having a mental hindrance, but, if it's worth it ...

Sure, but it's not really unreasonable to accommodate vegetarianism in schools either, or lack of pork products. It's a tad bit inconvenient, but it's a simple practical solution. Just always have a vegetarian option, and the problem is solved for everyone. I'm not even sure why a necklace would even be necessary. Can the kids self-identify what it is they want to eat or not?

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Sure, but it's not really unreasonable to accommodate vegetarianism in schools either, or lack of pork products. It's a tad bit inconvenient, but it's a simple practical solution. Just always have a vegetarian option, and the problem is solved for everyone. I'm not even sure why a necklace would even be necessary. Can the kids self-identify what it is they want to eat or not?
Who said they don't have a vegetarian option? If we allow pork, what about shellfish? What about glutin? How many options will there have to be?

Politesse

Amor Vincit Omnia
I was serious actually. I hope I didn't offend you. I am genuinely curious. I don't get it. Can you answer my question, please?
Collars, on humans, are always used to humiliate. It implies the person is an animal. I felt you were being deliberately obtuse by pretending these were like shirt-collars, when they obviously are not.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Collars, on humans, are always used to humiliate. It implies the person is an animal. I felt you were being deliberately obtuse by pretending these were like shirt-collars, when they obviously are not.
Would bracelets fix the issue then?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Some kids are too young to be able to identify Kosher/Halal foods, or the offending meat's hidden in a casserole. Being able to quickly identify which kid not to give the clam chowder to will move the line along a lot faster.
Sometimes it isn't a health or religious concern. Some veggies consider it simply immoral to contribute to the suffering of other sentient beings.
Who said they don't have a vegetarian option? If we allow pork, what about shellfish? What about glutin? How many options will there have to be?
Agreed. catering to fifty different special needs can quickly get out of hand. Maybe best to label the major dietary groups or hazardous allergies and leave the outliers to fend for themselves.
What kind of school serves shellfish?
French public schools, for one. In many schools lunch is a class, where culinary appreciation is taught. Meals that would be considered high-end, gourmet fare in the US are prepared by trained and certified chefs de cuisine.

Jumi

Wouldn't it be easy just to ask for a dish of food that isn't pork, I can't see the problem ?.
If it's a queueing system it might take extra minutes if everyone asks for vegan or no-pork version. Add to that, some of them might not even know French enough to explain what they want. I think that's why they wanted to have easy way of identifying what to serve.

It's basically politeness gone wrong since they didn't understand these kind of color codes might be offensive.

MARCELLO

Transitioning from male to female
If it's a queueing system it might take extra minutes if everyone asks for vegan or no-pork version. Add to that, some of them might not even know French enough to explain what they want. I think that's why they wanted to have easy way of identifying what to serve.

It's basically politeness gone wrong since they didn't understand these kind of color codes might be offensive.
This is not realistic. Just 4 letters : porc .

psychoslice

Veteran Member

I personally think its ridiculers, if its going to be so complicated then eat at home or take your lunch to school or whatever, you can't go wrong then and you will also save money.