• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You break it, you buy it

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Better set that one on the floor. It would squash someone.
In the museum where I volunteer, we watch our buildings & exhibits to a far greater extent.
But then....our exhibits can kill...& have (while still in service eons ago).

Here's on exhibit the kid won't tip over....

Last edited:

Deidre

So the parents just let their kids wander off? Maybe they should pay something, not the full amount, just to learn a lesson that they shouldn’t have just left their kids to do whatever.

Curious George

Veteran Member
So the parents just let their kids wander off? Maybe they should pay something, not the full amount, just to learn a lesson that they shouldn’t have just left their kids to do whatever.
Kansas has a modified comparative negligence, they would likely nit be able to recover full cost. Kansas also has a 5k cap on parental liability unless the damages are a result of Neglect. Not sure what Kansas laws regarding using reasonableness standards are for children, not sure about the child's age, not sure how frequently children played in the area, there are too many unknown facts, not sure where the adult supervision was. There are too many unknown facts, but I doubt this is a case where the parents are going to have to pay the full amount.

Deidre

Kansas has a modified comparative negligence, they would likely nit be able to recover full cost. Kansas also has a 5k cap on parental liability unless the damages are a result of Neglect. Not sure what Kansas laws regarding using reasonableness standards are for children, not sure about the child's age, not sure how frequently children played in the area, there are too many unknown facts, not sure where the adult supervision was. There are too many unknown facts, but I doubt this is a case where the parents are going to have to pay the full amount.
I agree and that’s true, we are just seeing a super short clip. Who knows how long they were left alone?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
While I agree that parents should keep their brats in check, If the piece was truly worth that much, then why wasn't it better secured?

A Vestigial Mote

On a case-by-case basis, "art" is literally only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I would say they should only be able to attempt to charge the parents with as much as they could have actually gotten for it. Not sure how you'd go about fairly determining that, but the problem otherwise is that anybody could charge whatever the heck they want for any piece of anything they want as long as they just don't put a price-tag on it, call it "art" and then put it out and wait for someone's kid to destroy it.