• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You are wrong!

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Have you accepted that your beliefs are inaccurate?!
That is the first step in learning.
I was a Baptist Republican when I was 16. I was right for sure in my head. Then one day I pondered "what if I'm wrong?".
That path first led me to become a Libertarian (thanks Rand Paul. You older folk had the OG Ron Paul converting conservatives)
As a Libertarian minarchist I was sure I was right on the money. There's a joke though "What's the difference between a minarchist and an anarchist? About six months"
Before the year was up, I found myself a rabid anarchist. Now, my OP says I could be wrong in this belief i.e. anarchism is the only moral societal system. But I don't think I'm wrong. I arrived at this conclusion by accepting I could be wrong. And the more study I do, the more I am assured in my anarchist philosophy.
So statists, perhaps you are wrong about the legitimacy of government! Ever think of that? Or maybe I'm wrong.
I was a Bible literalist when I joined these forums. I was sure I wasn't wrong at all, but then I allowed myself to accept once again that I could be wrong. Now I am unsure about any God.
Christians, have you accepted that perhaps there is no Christ? Wait, doubt isn't allowed, right?
You are wrong, everybody! Me too, I'm part of every body. I got strange beliefs, surely they aren't all right. Plus they are always evolving, so how could they be right in the first place?
Found wifi ;^) back to pestering you guys

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I was a Baptist Republican when I was 16. I was right for sure in my head. Then one day I pondered "what if I'm wrong?".
That path first led me to become a Libertarian (thanks Rand Paul. You older folk had the OG Ron Paul converting conservatives)
As a Libertarian minarchist I was sure I was right on the money. There's a joke though "What's the difference between a minarchist and an anarchist? About six months"
Before the year was up, I found myself a rabid anarchist. Now, my OP says I could be wrong in this belief i.e. anarchism is the only moral societal system. But I don't think I'm wrong. I arrived at this conclusion by accepting I could be wrong. And the more study I do, the more I am assured in my anarchist philosophy.
So statists, perhaps you are wrong about the legitimacy of government! Ever think of that? Or maybe I'm wrong.
I was a Bible literalist when I joined these forums. I was sure I wasn't wrong at all, but then I allowed myself to accept once again that I could be wrong. Now I am unsure about any God.
Christians, have you accepted that perhaps there is no Christ? Wait, doubt isn't allowed, right?
You are wrong, everybody! Me too, I'm part of every body. I got strange beliefs, surely they aren't all right. Plus they are always evolving, so how could they be right in the first place?
I was a humanist and of this world...

Then I became a Christian and had to clean up my stinking thinking :D

I continue to evolve in becoming more like Him. (A good work still in progress)

When I started I said to myself, "Either the Bible is true or it is false, it can't be both. I will start with "It is true" and then I will test the sucker and I will find out soon enough if it isn't"

It still is true. :)

Last edited:

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Plus they are always evolving, so how could they be right in the first place?
Truth does not change...that what changes can't be Truth

Exactly..."The Truth" can't be put in words (it's beyond)...what is put in words is "untruth"...Maya illusion...Creation is the biggest illusion...so babies too

But the title is wrong:D

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Sometimes. I also went through periods in my life where my views would change or develop into something else, although I have to admit I was raised with somewhat conflicted and contradictory ideas and viewpoints - both religious and political.

When it comes to beliefs, I don't know if I would see them as "accurate" or "inaccurate," since beliefs are more in the realm of conjecture or opinion. But there can be contradictions and inconsistencies in belief systems which might reveal them to be logically flawed, but "wrong" may not be the word I would use.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
If we accept certain of our beliefs are wrong they would no longer be our beliefs. So I find your first sentence incoherent.
Of course we all change some beliefs throughout life.
But if you are asking about God my belief in the basics of God and Jesus only grow stronger with time.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Well, even as I have looked into the various beliefs that tend to either be impressed on one (from childhood, culture, and such) or as to what one might naturally research as to explanations for all that we might question, I can't say that my beliefs have shifted much from my early disowning of my lacklustre Christian upbringing, and mostly the same reasons apply today as then. That is, I can't believe or trust any of the explanations given, the texts as to their veracity, and the troubles that so many beliefs cause rather than what they claim. Not going to change apparently either. I'll not judge others for their searching, as long as they don't judge me for not wasting my time. :oops:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
You are wrong, everybody! Me too, I'm part of every body.
And this, of course, translates into admitting that your assertion is, or could be, wrong.

The fact is that not all beliefs are created equal. What's important is the legitimacy of one's acceptance criteria and whether it is self-correcting.

Last edited:

Maybe we should continue after you have found the truth and you are not wrong anymore?

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member

Admitting our own fallibility is an important step on the path to wisdom. :blush: Glad you're learning the lesson early. Some never do!

Psalm23

Doubt is allowed in my faith. I believe that faith and doubt can and often does co exist.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.

Yes, I was a Christian for thirty years, and now I'm not. To be honest, it took me several years to accept that my belief and faith in God were seriously misguided and that my reality of suffering childhood abuse and dealing with PTSD for years was incompatible with my belief and hope in a loving, merciful God. My faith in God was deeply entrenched in my psyche, and it was almost impossible for me to let it go. I liken my experience of giving up my Christian faith to being imprisoned, only my cell door was always open and I never realized I could escape whenever I wanted to. I genuinely believe that deciding to let go of my faith in and belief in God was the best thing I've ever done for myself. Believing in God and being a Christian caused me a lot of emotional distress, but I was able to begin healing and change my life for the better after I renounced my Christian faith. I now feel at peace in my life, and I feel hopeful for the future. The shame and guilt I once felt about renouncing my faith are gone. Christianity was a prison for me, but now I'm free from it.

I understand that what I'm saying is only anecdotal evidence, just as when devout Christians share their positive stories about having God in their lives. My point is that, after realizing that my faith and trust in God were an emotional crutch, I made the decision to let it go in order to emotionally heal and better my life. To paraphrase Penn Jillette, a person doesn't need God to be moral and be a good person. I believe his assertion is validated by my experience of improving my life without having faith in God. Read his quote here.

Last edited:

Sheldon

Veteran Member
There is no belief I won't abandon or relinquish if the evidence demands it. At least, that's what I believe. ;):D

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
If we accept certain of our beliefs are wrong they would no longer be our beliefs. So I find your first sentence incoherent.
Of course we all change some beliefs throughout life.
But if you are asking about God my belief in the basics of God and Jesus only grow stronger with time.

Beliefs are belief, not fact. If it makes you able to be a better person and deal with life's realities better, it's good. Just because one might understand that it may not be a fact doesn't negate that these beliefs help them. Because when it comes right down to it, no one knows for sure, so we all just believe certain things that work for us.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

If it is a belief, then I figure you have about a 99.9% chance of being wrong.
We all have beliefs, it depends more on how much certainty you are willing to put into your belief.