• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You Are An Insignificant Spec

slave2six

Substitious
Looked at the universe lately? What with Pulsars and Quasars, supernovas, galaxies colliding, black holes and dark matter pushing the universe apart - all the glory and wonder of the elegantly chaotic mass - it is the height of arrogance to think that we puny creatures on this tiny orb are in any way significant or that God created us "in his image" or that somehow the vastness and glory of everything that is not us is somehow less important than we are.

Religious teachings that try to elevate humans above our actual status are completely misguided, arrogant, and narcissistic.

katiafish

consciousness incarnate
As above so is below, exterior is like interior, lesser is like the greater and greater is like the lesser..

"Human being is a miniature of the Universe and one who can solve the man will solve the mystery of the Universe." Manly P. Hall

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
As above so is below, exterior is like interior, lesser is like the greater and greater is like the lesser..

"Human being is a miniature of the Universe and one who can solve the man will solve the mystery of the Universe." Manly P. Hall
Second that :D

K.Venugopal

Immobile Wanderer
Looked at the universe lately? What with Pulsars and Quasars, supernovas, galaxies colliding, black holes and dark matter pushing the universe apart - all the glory and wonder of the elegantly chaotic mass - it is the height of arrogance to think that we puny creatures on this tiny orb are in any way significant or that God created us "in his image" or that somehow the vastness and glory of everything that is not us is somehow less important than we are.

Religious teachings that try to elevate humans above our actual status are completely misguided, arrogant, and narcissistic.
Maybe we are not all that puny. The fact that our mind/imagination is able to grasp it all, or has the potential to, certainly points to us being no mean phenomenon ourselves.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist

Perhaps god isn't especially significant either.

Man of Faith

This is what humanism strives for? The insignificance of man? I'm not interested. I have a God that created me and loves me and wants me to live forever with him.

Cobblestones

Devoid of Ettiquette
This is what humanism strives for? The insignificance of man? I'm not interested. I have a God that created me and loves me and wants me to live forever with him.
I wonder how many others choose an imaginary god simply because they cannot accept the fact that we are so small and that the human race will eventually die out or be wiped out by some natural occurrence. Personally, I have no problem with how small we are.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Looked at the universe lately? What with Pulsars and Quasars, supernovas, galaxies colliding, black holes and dark matter pushing the universe apart - all the glory and wonder of the elegantly chaotic mass - it is the height of arrogance to think that we puny creatures on this tiny orb are in any way significant

Why? I watched a pair of wagtails struggle to fledge their young this summer, they succeeded. I consider their achievement both beautiful and significant. I see nothing arrogant in considering it so. If not arrogant for wagtails why so for humans?

or that God created us "in his image" or that somehow the vastness and glory of everything that is not us is somehow less important than we are.
All that I know is me. I see nothing as it is in itself, more and less important are reflections of my mind - not things in themselves

Depends where you set the yardstick that establishes 'our actual status' doesn't it?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member

Or, it's the height of arrogance to presume that we, in comparison to our fellow galaxies and supernovas, are "puny" creatures.

TheKnight

Guardian of Life

*sighs* Human beings are significant because of the tremendous amount of impact we can have on our world. Forget what's happening around us. We have the ability to significantly impact the lives of others for good or for bad. In the biggest picture, it may not mean much, but that does not mean that we are totally insignificant.