• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

yoga masters in india

alishan

hi

we see in western yoga lesson is not link with God or religion
i mean it s just training his body for health

but in india do the yoga teacher all beleave in god and speaking about God and atman as they teach yoga?

thanks

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
It would be far more likely in India that religion is incorporated into yoga, as religion (Hinduism) is just far more common everywhere.

kaisersose

hi

Not any different in India either.

but in india do the yoga teacher all beleave in god and speaking about God and atman as they teach yoga? thanks

Actually, Yoga is an ancient philosophical system based on the even older Sankhya philosophy, attributed to Patanjali. Like all other Indian philosophies, Liberation is the goal. Patanjali mentions Asanas as one of the Ashtanga Yogas in his Yoga Sutras. The sutras do not list out and describe different Asanas.

Yoga in modern times has extracted Patanjali's Asana concept, expanded it and successfully detached it from its parent philosophy. The philosophy itself is mostly not relevant by itself today (except for some Kriya Yoga adherents, etc).

This is why Yoga today is about physical health and not about liberation of the soul. This is the same all over the world. I have heard some Christian and Islam groups in the West frowned upon Yoga as it was called a Hindu method after which it was not called that way anymore to make it less controversial.

strikeviperMKII

I think that regardless of you intent when you do yoga, if you do it right, you can't help but liberate your soul from worry, fear, self doubt, self loathing and other such negative things.

As a Yoga teacher I think its important to work out which school of Yoga we are talking about. Many seem to confuse the classical schools of Yoga and Vedanta. To my understanding there are many schools of Yoga each with sub-schools in them.

Classical Yoga of Patanjali which is dualist teaching Ashtanga or Kriya Yoga

Hatha Yoga - Founded in the main Tantric schools of the day and working with the Kundalini energy

Bhakti Yoga - Linked with the different schools of vedanta

Wannabe Yogi

One view of Hatha Yoga Asana's is that many Rishis (sages) used it to prep the body so they could under go hard austerities to realize God.

chinu

chinu
hi

but in india do the yoga teacher all beleave in god and speaking about God and atman as they teach yoga?
Not all.:)

_/\_
Chinu

Yoga stilling the body and the mind.

The Hathayoga pradipika works along the lines that by stilling the body through asana practise the mind becomes still.

Patanjali comes from the other end if you still the mind then the body becomes still

alishan

because i see that most of martial art internal chinese masters are athéist

taichi master and other internal family martial arts masters all dont beleave in God.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend alishan,

Most have missed the issue here.
YOGA means to add or connect.

Only HATH YOGA is Connecting with the WHOLE through exercise of the BODY.
I.E. ONE TRANSCENDS BOTH BODY AND MIND AND IS CONNECTED WITH THE whole OR IS IN yog [CONNECTION]

Those who do not UNDERSTAND/REALISE this, be they in the east or west are still far off from the PATH/WAY/RELIGION.

Love & rgds

Love & rgds

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
Yoga, as well as other Eastern philosophical ideas along these lines, like Tai Chi and Qigong, when transplanted to the West, lost their philosophical and spiritual implications, do to the predominant physicalist mindset prevalent in the West. This is also do to the "fast food" mentality, that Westerners predominantly want things as soon as they want them, like instant coffee. Instant mental and physical well-being became more important than long-term spiritual goals.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend dhyanaprajna,

True. The reason is not fast food my friend. It is that the human mind has two parts the intuitive and the other logical and the west represents the left brain which is logical.

Religion/path/way are methods to take the mind to a state of balance where both parts of the brain function fully and Gautama's middle path is all about finding that exact middle/centre where it is like the centre of a cyclone a state of no-mind/void and balance.

Love & rgds

alishan

like Tai Chi and Qigong, when transplanted to the West,

no taichi and qigong even in china and even in the past in the roots of the master , they dont beleave in God.
i have heard great master saying " yourself yourself not God". it links to the history of China , many emperor burnt spiritual and divine scripture. But you read confucius or the 5 emperor (3000 years before Jésus) they often speak about the "lord of the old sky" and fear when speak about him by seeing the responsabilty God gaves them (emperor).

alishan

like Tai Chi and Qigong, when transplanted to the West,

no taichi and qigong even in china and even in the past in the roots of the master , they dont beleave in God.
i have heard great master saying " yourself yourself not God". it links to the history of China , many emperor burnt spiritual and divine scripture. But if you read confucius or the 5 emperor (3000 years before Jésus) they often speak about the "lord of the old sky" and fear when speak about him by seeing the responsabilty God gaves them (emperor).