• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

YOGA is of the DEVIL?

Do you think yoga is harmful?

• Total voters
"Catholic priests are stirring up an epidemic of yogaphobia"

Catholic priests are stirring up an epidemic of yogaphobia – Quartz

yoga1.jpg

Marisa

One should check with one's physician before beginning any exercise program, but assuming relative health then Yoga is beneficial to those who enjoy it, not so much to those who don't.

leibowde84

Veteran Member

Catholic priest

This is just about as pathetic as it gets. Claiming that Yoga is an attempt to spread Hinduism (which is also not "evil" ... just sayin') is like saying that anti-smoking laws are an attempt to spread Nazism.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I can't believe the utter stupidity of the OP. Yoga is used for both body and mind, has no particular religious affiliation to the point whereas a great many use it who even are secular.

It's the nativistic tendency of "If we didn't invent it, it's evil".

Added: BTW, I ran across this same argument about three decades ago from a fellow worker who was "born again", but she eventually recanted after doing the homework and finally realizing what yoga really entails.

Thana

Lady

I don't know if any of you have tried real Yoga, But it does have a lot of spiritual connections and is used as a spiritual practice aswell as exercise.

I was raised with the ideals that Yoga was bad for Christians, Mainly because it encourages one to open up spiritually to things not of God including the blankness of mind which some believe that by doing so you allow evil in. Essentially, The only thing one should meditate on is the word of God.

I pretty much agree with what the Pope said about it, It's really about the individual. If you're a strong Christian or Muslim or Atheist or whatever, It makes no difference.
I look at it the same as Paul looked at eating food prepared for other God/s. It's not really a problem unless you or someone else makes it one.

And honestly, If people want to avoid Yoga I really don't see what the big deal is, Unless one has a strong desire to judge people.

I don't know if any of you have tried real Yoga, But it does have a lot of spiritual connections and is used as a spiritual practice aswell as exercise.

I was raised with the ideals that Yoga was bad for Christians, Mainly because it encourages one to open up spiritually to things not of God including the blankness of mind which some believe that by doing so you allow evil in. Essentially, The only thing one should meditate on is the word of God.

I pretty much agree with what the Pope said about it, It's really about the individual. If you're a strong Christian or Muslim or Atheist or whatever, It makes no difference.
I look at it the same as Paul looked at eating food prepared for other God/s. It's not really a problem unless you or someone else makes it one.

And honestly, If people want to avoid Yoga I really don't see what the big deal is, Unless one has a strong desire to judge people.

Thank you for your comment.:)

metis

I have used yoga for about four decades now, and I haven't killed anyone since breakfast. ;)

I originally used it for contemplative meditation, better known as "thinking", but as I've gotten older I now also use of to keep my body limber (I'm 70), and the research on it shows that it is both physically healthy and healthy for one's mind.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I don't think Christians should be doing yoga. It will lead them to confusion. It's mixing of two traditions, and much of what you learn via yoga, whether through the philosophy or the meditative aspects, will contradict everything you once thought about life. Nobody should be in the business of causing confusion, even indirectly.

Now ... if you want to do stretching exercises for health benefit, go ahead. But call them stretching exercises, not yoga, and do the stretching without the same focus on breathing.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I was in a chat room and heard about this. The Christian said that the Sun Salutation is pagan and Christians should not do it. I told him that the intent was not prayer to the sun. He made a good point that the action in itself is a prayer even without the intent.

Yoga isn't originally meant for meditation and exercise outside of religion (I believe in India, among other areas).

yoga1.jpg

Here are some religious implications

Sun Salutation Mantras | Surya Namskar Mantras Meaning | The Art Of Living Global

Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Centres - Sun Salutation

Sun Salutation Mantras | Surya Namskar Mantras Meaning | The Art Of Living Global

Surya Mantra and Surya Namaskaram -

Last edited:

Thana

Lady
I have used yoga for about four decades now, and I haven't killed anyone since breakfast. ;)

I originally used it for contemplative meditation, better known as "thinking", but as I've gotten older I now also use of to keep my body limber (I'm 70), and the research on it shows that it is both physically healthy and healthy for one's mind.

Yup.
And good for you, exercise is important.
I've tried Yoga a few times but I never really enjoyed it.

metis

Ever thing we may believe in has a source somewhere, and more often than not the source comes from outside the religion. Just because the source may not be originally of that religion doesn't mean that it's somehow intrinsically "evil".

We learn from each other, and all religions have learned from others near them. Of course, when we anthropologists say such things, this causes the "true believers" heads to explode. But that's their problem because they simply do not understand that religion does not evolve in some sort of vacuum, and that includes Christianity no matter which denomination one might be in.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
as long as they are aware with what it is and it's origins.

And that's the kicker, Starry. Often they're not aware, so in a way it's deceptive, but usually unintentionally. Heck, half the yoga teachers themselves don't know it's origins.

So let's make it clear.

Yoga is Hinduism. Hatha yoga (often incorrectly called Yoga) could be perceived as stretching exercises. But generally hatha yoga is not taught in isolation, there is a beginning chant, everyone Aums etc. there is breathing (pranayama). These are all Hindu practices.

And that's the kicker, Starry. Often they're not aware, so in a way it's deceptive, but usually unintentionally. Heck, half the yoga teachers themselves don't know it's origins.

So let's make it clear.

Yoga is Hinduism. Hatha yoga (often incorrectly called Yoga) could be perceived as stretching exercises. But generally hatha yoga is not taught in isolation, there is a beginning chant, everyone Aums etc. there is breathing (pranayama). These are all Hindu practices.

Yes.I have noticed it is being thought of now as some sort of secular exercise today.