• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Yoga is demonic"

Me Myself

Back to my username
With all the powers Jesus has, I would be kinda surprised he never practiced yoga in one or many of his lifes.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Pastor says yoga is demonic. Discuss - do you really believe that?

Seattle pastor Mark Driscoll says yoga is demonic | Seattle's Big Blog - seattlepi.com
Personally, I am concerned about anyone who claims to have special knowledge about what is demonic. Given that I simply do not believe that god exists outside the imagination of the believer, I am reasonably certain that demons are also the byproduct of the mental process, or perhaps, said process, gone mental. The point is however, that the vast majority have little appreciation for the power of their own imaginations or suspect how their imagination colours their view of reality. Fantasy can become reality, subjectively, at least.

In regards to the OP, if the good fellow seriously believes that Yoga is a demonic practice then it is probably advisable that he not take up the pastime. Given his thinking, there is no telling what effect it would have on him.

Me Myself

Back to my username
I believe in cruel spirits and holy spirits the same way I believe in cruel people and holy people.

There are however some spirits that are just obssessed with sex, love, anger, competitiveness, tradition, etc, the same way there are humans obsessed with this, this may be morally "neutral" spirits that can be both good or bad.

As one person opens up, I think both good or bad spirits can be attracted to him, I would believe the spirits coming and going would depend on the spiritual make up of the person. this is one of the reasons I would agree with people that say that it is better to practice yoga with a Guru or very enlightened person, because the aura arouhnd them is good and auspicious one that cruel spirits wouldn´t want to come near while good ones might be around and share their fuzzy feelings :D

I still meditate on my own though, and share myself with spiritual guidance I trust. Lately, Ganesh and Shiva have my back :)

Sylvan

Unrepentant goofer duster
I am reading quite a hilarious book called "Riders of the Cosmic Circuit: The Dark Side of Superconsciousness" written by the same fellow who wrote "Avatar of Night"/"Lord of the Air" which outed Sai Baba as a molester and also bizarrely enough accused him of being some kind of supernaturally-powered secretly hermaphrodite psychic vampire. He was a high level devotee in the 70's who had a sudden and dramatic reversion to the fundamentalist christianity of his youth. This other one is more for a secular audience, and explains the logic behind the "yoga is demonic" perspective from someone who has in fact done a lot of yoga (or at least sat around and sang to Sai Baba a lot) and, if he is to be believed, was an "insider" to the community around powerful gurus and tales of their creepy/miraculous siddhis.

So I don't think for the most part Christians think hatha yoga is necessarily evil, but that it can be some kind of gateway drug into kundalini or tantra. These practices somehow have magic secret mind gateways to devil powers that satan put there back when he and his demons were masquerading as the hindu gods/devas or whatever and 'founded hinduism'. :facepalm:

Just like the devil did in Europe to found the "witchcraft religion" prior to Christianity finding its way there by the holy grace of the all-mighty (& brutal military conquests). :facepalm:

Last edited:

waitasec

Veteran Member
Explain yourself.

you didn't use the magic word...:p

the bible stipulates that we are naturally inclined to evil...
and yoga, is all about focusing on the self and taking your focus off of god is
evil...what else could it be? it can't be healthy for your mind, soul and body :sarcastic

just a thought, i wonder how many believers in the bible belt die from a heart attack :shrug:
but i guess thats the point right, believers can't wait to meet their maker, so why even take care of their bodies?

Last edited:
you didn't use the magic word...:p

the bible stipulates that we are naturally inclined to evil...
and yoga, is all about focusing on the self and taking your focus off of god is
evil...what else could it be? it can't be healthy for your soul :sarcastic

Are you becoming more and more Calvinist?:p Good.

Trey of Diamonds

Jack Chick has the answer.

What is Hinduism?

The various yoga practices are specifically designed to induce a trance state of mindlessness which is supposed to draw the person up into a union with Brahman. What is actually happening, is that as the person meditates to blank out his mind, he is opening himself up to the entrance of demons. These demons then give all sorts of experiences in the spirit world and the link between the soul and spirit is forged. Many experience astral projection and direct contact with demons which masquerade as the various Hindu gods. Please note, Yoga is for one purpose only, union with Brahman. It cannot be separated from the demonic religion which created it.