• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yahushua Ha Mashiach (Jesus) and The Law

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

Yes. And what man, in his right mind, would even DARE attempt to drag his 9 month pregnant wife, by donkey, on a 70 mile journey? Trust me, it didn't happen! (Father of four here) :)

Well, I think he had to run very hard, and quite far, with his pregnant wife. But not because of any census. I think joseph's journey took place ten years before, after the Roman legions out of Syria razed the city of Sepphoris, executed all the adult males and enslaved all the minors and women. Joseph ran alright, but I can't figure out where.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
There is no evidence that such a census involved going back to where one was born, which would have been terribly disruptive and costly not only to the individuals but also to the Romans themselves. A friend of mine, who specializes in Roman history, told me that there is no precedent for this in Roman history that he's aware of.

Therefore, I suspect that what we read is probably a theological construct whereas the authors are trying to connect Jesus with David.

Of course....... return to some ancestral home is utterly barmy. Imagine hundreds of thousand of peasants, soldiers, priests, traders etc etc all rushing in different directions across the land to complete a census which could never be used, because they would then all clear off back to where they came from, into different provinces, etc. However would have conceived that idea certainly would deserve crucifixion! :D

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Now to save me from having to trawl through that lot you could use your own initiative.
Point well taken.

From Religion, Ethnicity, and Identity in Ancient Galilee - A region in Transition, by Jurgen Zangenberg, Harold W. Attridge, and Dale B. Martin, and as posted at Kinneret Institute for Galilean Archaeology:

The Galilee from the end of the 2nd c. B.C.E. to the 4th c. C.E. was inhabited mainly by Jews living in villages, towns, and cities. The majority of these Jewish settlements continued well into the Byzantine period, even though there was a growing number of Christians in the two capitals of Galilee - Tiberius and Sepphoris = as well as in new Christian villages and monasteries. The archaeological remains consistently point not only to a vast majority of Jews but also a clear isolation of Jewish villages in the Jewish region from the Gentile villages around it.

Interesting ...

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member

Yes. And what man, in his right mind, would even DARE attempt to drag his 9 month pregnant wife, by donkey, on a 70 mile journey? Trust me, it didn't happen! (Father of four here) :)

By the way …
“How would a woman who is nine months pregnant travel 175 kilometers on a donkey all the way to Bethlehem of Judea?” he asked. “It makes much more sense that she would have traveled seven kilometers,” the distance from Nazareth to Bethlehem of the Galilee.

Read more: Was Jesus born in a different Bethlehem?

gnostic

The Lost One
And Joseph also went up from Galilee, out of the city of Nazareth, into Judaea, unto the city of David, which is called Bethlehem; (because he was of the house and lineage of David: Luke 2:4
My understanding is that the City of David was Jerusalem, the place where wanted the temple to be built, not Bethlehem.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
My understanding is that the City of David was Jerusalem, the place where wanted the temple to be built, not Bethlehem.
What's called "the City of David" indeed is in Jerusalem (Mt. Zion), but he was born in Bethlehem, which you can ride to in maybe 10-15 minutes from Jerusalem by first going to Avis Rent-a-Camel..