• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wyoming GOP Chair Floats Secession

esmith

Veteran Member
Do you think the Feds would allow the secession by any state?
Personally, I suspect the current government is too authoritarian to allow this.
As much as I don't see it happing nor support it you are wrong in assuming that the "Feds" can stop it. That is unless you consider US Congress is the "Feds". In addition if Congress approves it still takes 3/4 of all the States legislature to approve.
What a state (or states) can do, however, is begin the process of seeking a mutually agreed upon parting of the ways, and that process clearly exists, set forth by the U.S. Supreme Court in its 1868 ruling in Texas v. White. That ruling concluded that a state (or states) could secede by gaining approval of both houses of Congress and then obtaining ratification by three fourths of the nation's legislatures. In other words, it's a tough task.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
As much as I don't see it happing nor support it you are wrong in assuming that the "Feds" can stop it. That is unless you consider US Congress is the "Feds". In addition if Congress approves it still takes 3/4 of all the States legislature to approve.
What a state (or states) can do, however, is begin the process of seeking a mutually agreed upon parting of the ways, and that process clearly exists, set forth by the U.S. Supreme Court in its 1868 ruling in Texas v. White. That ruling concluded that a state (or states) could secede by gaining approval of both houses of Congress and then obtaining ratification by three fourths of the nation's legislatures. In other words, it's a tough task.

Wasn't this what the civil war was about?
I'd assume the Fed would again call the military to action under the command of the Commander in Chief. Would the Feds allow it? I don't see why they would.
Yes if Congress agrees. Don't see that happening. Too many folks wanting to control what the other guy is doing.

Revolution as mentioned would have to be suppressed by the Federal government.

esmith

Veteran Member
Wasn't this what the civil war was about?
I'd assume the Fed would again call the military to action under the command of the Commander in Chief. Would the Feds allow it? I don't see why they would.
First the only law that allows the President to deploy the U.S. military within the United States is the Insurrection Act of 1807 and only to suppress civil disorder, insurrection, or rebellion. Therefore a state taking legal means to secede does not meet the criteria to invoke the Insurrection Act.
There is no armed sucession just a state or states asking to leave the Union by legal means.

Wandering Monk

First the only law that allows the President to deploy the U.S. military within the United States is the Insurrection Act of 1807 and only to suppress civil disorder, insurrection, or rebellion. Therefore a state taking legal means to secede does not meet the criteria to invoke the Insurrection Act.
There is no armed sucession just a state or states asking to leave the Union by legal means.

The President can deploy troops to Federal property anytime he wishes.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Do you think the Feds would allow the secession by any state?
Personally, I suspect the current government is too authoritarian to allow this.
They won't really try.
After what happened to the last states who tried to
secede, they'd be foolish to do more than just bloviate.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
They won't really try.
After what happened to the last states who tried to
secede, they'd be foolish to do more than just bloviate.

I'm hoping to retire soon so I can spend much more time bloviating. :D

Trump IMO was the master of bloviating. Trump could bloviate in a few words and the world would lose its mind. To have that kind of power over people would be awesome or at least semi-entertaining.
He was such a master, they had to deplatform him to save the world.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

I understand, I just don't believe Congress would ever allow legal succession.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm hoping to retire soon so I can spend much more time bloviating. :D

Trump IMO was the master of bloviating. Trump could bloviate in a few words and the world would lose its mind. To have that kind of power over people would be awesome or at least semi-entertaining.
He was such a master, they had to deplatform him to save the world.
Trump is incompetent even at bloviating.
Per the definition, he had the boastful part down,
but he's too inarticulate to achieve pomposity.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Why is it that people celebrated at the breakup of the USSR, but then think it's a horrible thing if the US were to do something similar? Both start with 'United'.