• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wuhan China returns to normalcy

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Call me a skeptical, but I would not believe too much of what you hear coming out of the Chinese media. It is Government controlled. Many Chinese nationals that reported this outbreak to the world and spoke against the Government strangely disappeared or supposedly "got COVID-19 and died". I think we are being told things from China about what the Chinese government wants us to hear. Wheather it is completely controlled or not I do not know.
Also, I just heard on NPR today that it's not "normal" in the sense of pre-virus days.
This comports with what other sources report.
China’s New Normal

But maybe things are different in "Wutan", eh.

If I were better at internet stuff, I'd find a link to an interesting story I heard on NPR yesterday. It was broadcast on the program This American Life. It was only one 20 minutes segment on a show about C19.

The gist of it was this.
Wutan, under Chinese government control, clamped down hard on vectors for C19. In ways that would be utterly unconstitutional and against social norms here in the USA.
IIRC,
nobody could leave home without a cell phone that had a tracking device. Everyone had a code, issued by the government, one was green or orange or red. Green was the least restrictive and gave you entrance to public facilities like food stores. Red means you are under government orders to go into a quarantine facility, nowhere else. Orange is inbetween. Leave the area deemed "essential" and you'd get a code red.
If you left your home, you couldn't get back in to your apartment building without someone taking your temperature. If elevated, you were quarantined in that apartment. Go outside and you're code red, locked out of your place.

Now, a couple of months later, things are returning to normal. The virus got stomped on, along with everyday freedoms Americans take for granted. Their's to use and abuse as they see fit. Chinese people put up with the crackdown long enough to regain freedom from the virus.

To be real blunt, which is more important to American people? The freedom to hold mega church meetings or freedom from C19?
Tom

These are draconian measures that will become ever more prevalent. Naysayers will by necessity become expendable, as governments prioritize human "worth" by unprecedented standards.

Please follow this link for one possible outcome:
When this film was released 40 years ago, it was considered kitsch but now seems prophetic.

Milton Platt

If I were better at internet stuff, I'd find a link to an interesting story I heard on NPR yesterday. It was broadcast on the program This American Life. It was only one 20 minutes segment on a show about C19.

The gist of it was this.
Wutan, under Chinese government control, clamped down hard on vectors for C19. In ways that would be utterly unconstitutional and against social norms here in the USA.
IIRC,
nobody could leave home without a cell phone that had a tracking device. Everyone had a code, issued by the government, one was green or orange or red. Green was the least restrictive and gave you entrance to public facilities like food stores. Red means you are under government orders to go into a quarantine facility, nowhere else. Orange is inbetween. Leave the area deemed "essential" and you'd get a code red.
If you left your home, you couldn't get back in to your apartment building without someone taking your temperature. If elevated, you were quarantined in that apartment. Go outside and you're code red, locked out of your place.

Now, a couple of months later, things are returning to normal. The virus got stomped on, along with everyday freedoms Americans take for granted. Their's to use and abuse as they see fit. Chinese people put up with the crackdown long enough to regain freedom from the virus.

To be real blunt, which is more important to American people? The freedom to hold mega church meetings or freedom from C19?
Tom

The entire country of China is not devoid of the virus.....it remains to be seen if the spread can be stopped for good or if there will be one or more rebounds of the disease.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Tom

I think misery and poverty will have killed you before the 0.11% chance that CV-19 will.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
The entire country of China is not devoid of the virus.....it remains to be seen if the spread can be stopped for good or if there will be one or more rebounds of the disease.
True.
Also true of every other country.
Unlike China, the USA has substantial population who feel outside the rules. It'll probably be worse here.
Tom

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
True.
Also true of every other country.
Unlike China, the USA has substantial population who feel outside the rules. It'll probably be worse here.
Tom

My sense is that China understands that it has an obligation to its people, whereas in the US, the tendency is to leave people to their own devices to fend for themselves. So, that's what we end up having to do, rules or no rules.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Tom
That is a no-brainer. Of course I would rather be free of C19.
But as you know, I am not a Christian. ;)

I am not big on liberty so I approve of the restrictions China put in place.