• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wuhan China returns to normalcy

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
If I were better at internet stuff, I'd find a link to an interesting story I heard on NPR yesterday. It was broadcast on the program This American Life. It was only one 20 minutes segment on a show about C19.

The gist of it was this.
Wutan, under Chinese government control, clamped down hard on vectors for C19. In ways that would be utterly unconstitutional and against social norms here in the USA.
IIRC,
nobody could leave home without a cell phone that had a tracking device. Everyone had a code, issued by the government, one was green or orange or red. Green was the least restrictive and gave you entrance to public facilities like food stores. Red means you are under government orders to go into a quarantine facility, nowhere else. Orange is inbetween. Leave the area deemed "essential" and you'd get a code red.
If you left your home, you couldn't get back in to your apartment building without someone taking your temperature. If elevated, you were quarantined in that apartment. Go outside and you're code red, locked out of your place.

Now, a couple of months later, things are returning to normal. The virus got stomped on, along with everyday freedoms Americans take for granted. Their's to use and abuse as they see fit. Chinese people put up with the crackdown long enough to regain freedom from the virus.

To be real blunt, which is more important to American people? The freedom to hold mega church meetings or freedom from C19?
Tom

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
If I were better at internet stuff, I'd find a link to an interesting story I heard on NPR yesterday. It was broadcast on the program This American Life. It was only one 20 minutes segment on a show about C19.

The gist of it was this.
Wutan, under Chinese government control, clamped down hard on vectors for C19. In ways that would be utterly unconstitutional and against social norms here in the USA.
IIRC,
nobody could leave home without a cell phone that had a tracking device. Everyone had a code, issued by the government, one was green or orange or red. Green was the least restrictive and gave you entrance to public facilities like food stores. Red means you are under government orders to go into a quarantine facility, nowhere else. Orange is inbetween. Leave the area deemed "essential" and you'd get a code red.
If you left your home, you couldn't get back in to your apartment building without someone taking your temperature. If elevated, you were quarantined in that apartment. Go outside and you're code red, locked out of your place.

Now, a couple of months later, things are returning to normal. The virus got stomped on, along with everyday freedoms Americans take for granted. Their's to use and abuse as they see fit. Chinese people put up with the crackdown long enough to regain freedom from the virus.

To be real blunt, which is more important to American people? The freedom to hold mega church meetings or freedom from C19?
Tom
I'm not for violation of human rights under any circumstances virus or not.

I'll take my chances with nature.

Terry Sampson

You're an American and you ask? Ha. Your rights end where I say they do. Don't scare me, 'cause if you do, I'll put an end to that nonsense and your rights rat where yore feet touch the ground. :D

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.

The gist of it was this.
IIRC,

Tom

The Chinese government has been lying about this whole thing from the beginning. I certainly don't believe them now.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Not everyone is quite that amoral.
But I do understand that it's a common attitude here in Christian America.
Tom

Every living thing has self-preservation there's also something called risk taking to achieve an end to a means.

For every person 'protected' there also has to be a person who's the risk taker.

It would be like calling the risk takers amoral for being out there.

A government that resorts to draconian means to an end isn't worthy to live in. Not one bit.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
The Chinese government has been lying about this whole thing from the beginning. I certainly don't believe them now.
Yes, they were in denial at first, but the reality is that they bit the bullet and now are beginning to recover. However, as the mayor of Shanghai said yesterday on Fareed Zarariah's news program, there's still a long way for them to go that also includes a probable resurgence of the virus in the fall.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I'm not for violation of human rights under any circumstances virus or not.

I'll take my chances with nature.
But of course, by saying "I'll take my chances," what you really mean is, "I'll take my chances that I won't infect me -- and a bunch of other people." Your chances tend to get around...

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Isn't it Wuhan, not Wutan - Wutan and his mates are a rap band

But some Wuhan residents who had tested positive earlier and then recovered from the disease are testing positive for the virus a second time. Based on data from several quarantine facilities in the city, which house patients for further observation after their discharge from hospitals, about 5%-10% of patients pronounced "recovered" have tested positive again.

Some of those who retested positive appear to be asymptomatic carriers — those who carry the virus and are possibly infectious but do not exhibit any of the illness's associated symptoms — suggesting that the outbreak in Wuhan is not close to being over.
Mystery In Wuhan: Recovered Coronavirus Patients Test Negative ... Then Positive

So then recovered patients could be carriers?

A Vestigial Mote

So then recovered patients could be carriers?
As in their internals contain the virus and their body isn't actively eliminating/killing it? I would think that, given those conditions, the virus would just go about its business infecting cells. I don't think all of our cells get marching orders that inform them how to destroy every known virus or keep them out, do they?

3rdAngel

The gist of it was this.
IIRC,

Tom

Call me a skeptic, but I would not believe too much of what you hear coming out of the Chinese media. It is Government controlled. Many Chinese nationals that reported this outbreak to the world and spoke against the Government strangely disappeared or supposedly "got COVID-19 and died". I think we are being told things from China about what the Chinese government wants us to hear. Wheather it is completely controlled or not I do not know.

Last edited:

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Call me a skeptical, but I would not believe too much of what you hear coming out of the Chinese media. It is Government controlled.
I'm really skeptical about US media also. And the Trump administration isn't much better, maybe worse.
Tom