• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wrongdoing

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Is there anything wrong from either a religious or moral standpoint with openly admitting wrongdoing or sin? Is there anything wrong with asking another to do so? Why or why not?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
IMHO what you do with your transgressions is your business. By the same token what others do with theirs is not.
Our legal and law enforcement systems make it everyone's collective business, thank goodness.

JJ50

One should apologise and make amends when one does something wrong.
Some religions and doctrines call some things a 'sin', which no reasonable person would think wrong like homosexuality, for instance.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
Is there anything wrong from either a religious or moral standpoint with openly admitting wrongdoing or sin? Is there anything wrong with asking another to do so? Why or why not?

I've been shunned for having admitted that I purposely exposed myself in the men's restroom at a Bavarian department store restroom to some German lady who was a restroom attendant watching me in the mirror while I was relieving myself at a urinal. I've been shunned by some few members of RF for having admitted to being sexually abusive , despite this abuse having happened over 25 years ago, before I was married, and way before the me too movement.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Our legal and law enforcement systems make it everyone's collective business, thank goodness.

I was going with the sins part in a religious meaning, but you have a valid point except--the Fifth Amendment to the Constitution says it's not anyone's business.

Shadow Link

Sure. The question was inspired by an answer to the OP in Religious rules on food - do you follow them?.
If we could consider that to much consumption of anything can be a sin, then we can also consider how much of a certain consumption can be harmful. How do we know if the biblical laws, at the time they were written, were not based from a bacterial or contamination reasoning? ...and no one lifted them after that fact?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I was going with the sins part in a religious meaning, but you have a valid point except--the Fifth Amendment to the Constitution says it's not anyone's business.
Yeah, I figured that, and I agree that stuff is nobody's business. But the serious stuff, yes, we have civil laws. There is some crossover.

Remté

Depends on whether it harms anyone.

In general it is a virtue but one should use their conscience. One should also not admit to wrong doing out of pride of any kind.

Cam

What is gods wrath? He can't do anything to you. What kind of hypocrite commits suicide for someone's sins but makes it immoral to commit suicide. Makes no sense. His wrath is mind control.

JJ50

I've been shunned for having admitted that I purposely exposed myself in the men's restroom at a Bavarian department store restroom to some German lady who was a restroom attendant watching me in the mirror while I was relieving myself at a urinal. I've been shunned by some few members of RF for having admitted to being sexually abusive , despite this abuse having happened over 25 years ago, before I was married, and way before the me too movement.
I will shun you to, sexual perverts should always be shunned by decent people.:mad:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
You consider your sins everyone's business?
I'm only talking about the 'sins' that break the laws of the country that you're in. Yes that is police business, which, in a democracy, is everyone's business. But all that other stuff that the Abrahamics consider sin (I don't believe in sin like that) it's nobody's business.

Remté

I'm only talking about the 'sins' that break the laws of the country that you're in. Yes that is police business, which, in a democracy, is everyone's business. But all that other stuff that the Abrahamics consider sin (I don't believe in sin like that) it's nobody's business.
So you have no sense of moral at all?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
So you have no sense of moral at all?
In Hinduism, there are morals for sure, a ton of them. But it's considered stupidity (anava in Sanskrit) of the young soul. So just as a small child might utter his first curse word or pee in an inappropriate place, we tolerate it, and try to correct it. So the net effect is we see it in the light of understanding, not in the 'light' of hate.

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
What is gods wrath? He can't do anything to you. What kind of hypocrite commits suicide for someone's sins but makes it immoral to commit suicide. Makes no sense. His wrath is mind control.

First, nothing was mentioned about God's wrath. In my view God is not wrathful.

Second, who committed suicide?