• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would You Support an AR style Rifle Buy Back for $1,000 each in the U.S.?

Would you Support a $1,000 Gun Buy Back for AR style rifles?

• Yes

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • No

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Bernie Sanders says that compulsory gun buy backs are unconstitutional but since some think there seems to be a need for AR style rifles to be taken off the street maybe $1,000 for each one would be an incentive to turn them in voluntarily.

I voted yes, I think it's a great idea and $1,000 seems to be not too unreasonable

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Without having given it much thought I'd be inclined to say, "No, I'd put a tax on them of $1000 per year. Payable until you transfer ownership to someone else who pays. Give it away, lose it, gets stolen, purchaser stops paying, whatever....

If you take responsibility for the thing you keep the responsibility. You knew what you were buying.
Tom

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
As long as it was voluntary.
But, if it was voluntary, I don't think this would have a big impact on gun violence.

So I don't know if this is much more than a virtue signal by Bernie for voters on the left.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Without having given it much thought I'd be inclined to say, "No, I'd put a tax on them of $1000 per year. Payable until you transfer ownership to someone else who pays. Give it away, lose it, gets stolen, purchaser stops paying, whatever....
If you take responsibility for the thing you keep the responsibility. You knew what you were buying.
Tom

Under what precept would you place the tax on it for?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
The AR is not all that bad on its own. The problem is its fire power combined with massive magazines. A limitation on magazines is constitutional. It already applies to many hunting guns. There would be no need for a buy back program either. Merely make manufacturing or owning any magazine over eight rounds or so illegal.

The AR is a minor player when it comes to gun deaths. Though it is a major player in mass murders. The larger problem is that presence and prevalence of handguns.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I would first outlaw their possession and then offer a sum equal to their last market price.

If the going price of an ATI GOMX556KM13P3 Omni Hybrid MAXX P3 Semi-Auto .223/5.56 NATO 16" 30+1, W /13" Keymod - Black is $529.00, then $529.00 is what the the owner would get. If a Fostech Phantom Sport - Premium Light Weight 5.56 AR15 Rifle with Echo Sport Trigger Installed - 13" Mach II Rails - Graphite Black Finish with a minor Cosmetic Blemish is going for $ 1,500, then the owner would get $1,500.

Audie

Veteran Member
I took a sec to look it up. A new AR can be purchased for
about 500 dollars, so it would be wise to stock up
for a big profit on each one when your govt "buys them back".

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
That's why I amended my yes vote to like @Skwim 's suggestion.

Stanyon

WWMRD?

I was going to wait to point that out but I wanted to get some replies first, I like the way you think.
Heh heh heh

Stanyon

WWMRD?
I would first outlaw their possession and then offer a sum equal to their last market price.

If the going price of an ATI GOMX556KM13P3 Omni Hybrid MAXX P3 Semi-Auto .223/5.56 NATO 16" 30+1, W /13" Keymod - Black is $529.00, then $529.00 is what the the owner would get. If a Fostech Phantom Sport - Premium Light Weight 5.56 AR15 Rifle with Echo Sport Trigger Installed - 13" Mach II Rails - Graphite Black Finish with a minor Cosmetic Blemish is going for $ 1,500, then the owner would get $1,500.

Under what grounds would you make them illegal? Even Bernie Sanders thinks just a compulsory buyback would be unconstitutional.
- Murders with AR style rifles make up a very small percentage of overall murders and those murders are committed by someone willfully doing something illegal with the product.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
If I had an AR 15 I'd say no way.

They are worth much more than a grand.

I'd sell an old shotgun for a grand and a couple of beers though.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Under what grounds would you make them illegal?
The sole purposes of owning an AR is to

1) pump up the flagging sexual self image of its owner.

2) kill many humans at one time.

And because I can easily see the mind set of #1 leading to #2 I don't feel either reason justifies their ownership.

Even Bernie Sanders thinks just a compulsory buyback would be unconstitutional.
Why should I care what Bernie Sanders thinks about a compulsory buyback?

PureX

Veteran Member
Bernie Sanders says that compulsory gun buy backs are unconstitutional but since some think there seems to be a need for AR style rifles to be taken off the street maybe $1,000 for each one would be an incentive to turn them in voluntarily.

I voted yes, I think it's a great idea and $1,000 seems to be not too unreasonable
How about a $5,000 fine for being caught with one in your possession, and a $100 "buy back"? And let's add a $10,000 fine if you're caught using one for any reason. I think that'd work much better and cost us all a lot less.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
The sole purposes of owning an AR is to

1) pump up the flagging sexual self image of its owner.

2) kill many humans at one time.

And because I can easily see the mind set of #1 leading to #2 I don't feel either reason justifies their ownership.

Did you build those strawmen yourself or did you have some help?

Stanyon

WWMRD?
How about a $5,000 fine for being caught with one in your possession, and a $100 "buy back"? And let's add a $10,000 fine if you're caught using one for any reason. I think that'd work much better and cost us all a lot less.

I think they already do that for convicted felons with guns plus prison time and that doesn't stop them so....
How much does it cost to keep someone in prison for a year?

Skwim

Veteran Member
Did you build those strawmen yourself or did you have some help?
Okay, you tell me what the purposes of owning an AR is.

As I see it, it's either

assault-weapons-gun-ban-senate-penis-encouragement-ecards-someecards.png

OR

24mdu5.jpg

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
That would be a good idea if it has a sunset cause exclusively made for this pathetic generation of people.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
Okay, you tell me what the purposes of owning an AR is.

As I see it, it's either
assault-weapons-gun-ban-senate-penis-encouragement-ecards-someecards.png

OR
24mdu5.jpg

Strawmen with memes....
Gun ownership in the U.S. cuts across all religions (or lack of it) , races, gender, sexual preferences and political affiliations (or lack of it), ARs and their variants are owned by very diverse groups . You are either ignorant of these facts or if you are aware of these facts then you are just attempting to simplify it for your own agenda.

Purpose of owning an AR? because we can
Just like choosing a Mustang over a Yugo or a Jaguar over a Toyota.