• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you die for your faith?

robtex

Veteran Member
orichalcum said:
I suppose I would, depending on the situation.
Interesting sentiment. There are three reasons people die for their religion

1) as a self-sacrifice. If one were do to this I would prepose they found merit in martydom. That could be a thread ontoitself.

2) They are willing to kill for their religion too. And their death in the partipation of a holy war or cause is acceptable

3) An unplanned demise. One where they didn't forsee or plan a death but they knew it was possible if they propogated their faith.

I justed wanted to throw that out there to find the total parameters of the question. Do yall see more instances or does that get some boundries to wrangle with this topic. Great thread!

Watcher

The Gunslinger
I wouldn't be afraid to die for my freedom.
If for some reason america went crazy (ha, i mean more so then it is now;)) and I was faced with either becoming christian (or anything else for that matter) or dying, I would choose death. No one is going to tell me what I should believe.

Melody

That's a difficult question to answer. I'd like to say assuredly that I would, but I'm only too human. The best answer I can give is, with God's help I could and would if I had to.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
My Faith doesn't require me too , but as Jensa said , if someone wanted to kill me for it , there wouldn't be much I could do ... other then perhaps kill them first . ;)

fromthe heart

If someone had a gun at my head and ordered me to deny my faith in God I can assure you they'd have to pull the trigger...to deny my faith in God would be a fate worse than death!!!:)

Lindsey-Loo

Steel Magnolia
If someone had a gun at my head and ordered me to deny my faith in God I can assure you they'd have to pull the trigger...to deny my faith in God would be a fate worse than death!!!:)
Ditto.

Melody

fromthe heart said:

And if they had a gun to your bewildered 5 year old's head?

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Carrdero put it wonderfully, as usual.

I'm not sure if I would die for my faith or not. I'm not sure if I even have a faith, just what I know speaks to me as the truth.

While I would never want to, and can only picture that I might, I think I would die so that people would have the freedom to choose their religion.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Yes, I absolutely would. (I kinda hope it doesn't come to that, though. I definitely wouldn't make a good suicide bomber.)

Melody

Katzpur said:
Yes, I absolutely would. (I kinda hope it doesn't come to that, though. I definitely wouldn't make a good suicide bomber.)
Oops....did you just go from "dying" for your faith to "killing" for your faith?

johnnys4life

Pro-life Mommy
Melody said:
And if they had a gun to your bewildered 5 year old's head?
My husband thinks it's okay to lie to protect someone. I have to agree. I have a friend who lost custody of her daughter to the abusive father. In her place, I would take the child and run, even if that meant lying a lot for a long time, because sometimes it's not all black and white.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Melody said:
Oops....did you just go from "dying" for your faith to "killing" for your faith?
I said that because suicide bombers, to the best of my knowledge, are willing to die right alongside those they kill. They seem to believe that it's an honor to do so. That's always struck me as pretty stupid. And have you ever noticed that it's always the peons who get this job? When is bin Ladin going to become a suicide bomber?

johnnys4life

Pro-life Mommy
However, if someone were to kill me for my faith, that would be fine. I don't really put a high value on my own life anyway.

Zephyr

Moved on
Rotten.com/library/religion/martyrdom said:
To die for something you believe in. That is perhaps the most noble of all human endeavors.

Seeking martyrdom on the promise of a "get out of hell free" card. That is perhaps the most idiotic of all human endeavors.
I would, no question about it. It's not something I would go out searching for, but if need be, I definitely would.