• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you die for your faith?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
johnnys4life said:
How is dying for your faith anywhere close to the same thing as killing for it? Who even thinks like that?

If someone put a gun to your head and asked you to denounce your faith or else, and you did it, either your faith isn't worth much or you are a coward.
Sorry, I am loosing track here; Who was that addressed to?:)

turk179

I smell something....
michel said:
Sorry, I am loosing track here; Who was that addressed to?:)
Sorry michel. That was addressed to me. :D

johnnys4life said:
How is dying for your faith anywhere close to the same thing as killing for it? Who even thinks like that?

If someone put a gun to your head and asked you to denounce your faith or else, and you did it, either your faith isn't worth much or you are a coward.

My point in asking that question was that most humans have a strong basic instinct of self preservation. If you were in a situation where it was either "them or you", I think most people would try for the "them" aspect and try to save their own hides. Based on this opinion, even with the instinct of self preservation intact, you would still die for your religion, It makes me wonder exactly how far some people would go. I understand there are so many possible scenarios in this particular question and I mean no disrespect to anyone for asking it and apologize if any disrespect was taken.

And now for the second part. My faith means more to me than most people realize. It is one of the most important things in my life. I am also not a coward. I would not die for my religion because I have faith in my religion. I have faith that I would not be persecuted for one small lie for the chance at self preservation.

jorylore

If my Lord was willing to die for his faith, why should I not be willing to die for mine.

People have certainly given their lives for lesser things. Their country, for example.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I would say "Shoot!", or whatever other method the person is going to kill me with.
I would then say something like Obi-ones' line "If you strike me down I will become more powerful than you can imagine."

Natas

johnnys4life said:
Of course. We've been praying for years. But, I do not believe it is "God's will" for us to sit back and do nothing while he torments this child. And you're not going to be able to convince me of that because I love that little girl.

That should tell you something about the power of prayer. But seriously, if this man is tormenting this child, someone should hide with a camcorder and get some real evidence of this tormenting. There are many things that can be done short of murder. I'm still astounded that you can hide behind your faith and justify murder, kidnapping, etc. I've yet to hear other christians on this site back your statements. Perhaps they don't share your haste to break the law. I am not trying to convince you to do nothing. I honestly feel you need to talk to a professional right away before you do something you will regret forever.

johnnys4life said:
If she killed him it would be self defense not murder. Self defense is not murder in the Bible or the U.S. It is not even illegal.
That depends on whether or not he was directly threatening her life.

johnnys4life said:
We try. We pray for him, and she even prays for him, but you know what, she turned 6 this year. I don't even want to think of what might happen to her now. No, I don't think I would blame her if she killed him, if he was coming at me I might kill him. As I've said before even regarding abortion, a person has a right to defend their own life. He may or may not have intent to kill her, but what he is doing is killing her.
Like I said, please seek some professional help right away.

KirbyFan101

Resident Ball of Fluff
I think, realistically, some people are overestimating their own will power.

Are you all telling me, that if someone puts a gun to your head and tells you *give up your faith or die* you would actually let yourself be killed? What about your children (assuming you have them), your friends, your family. These people love you, and, for me, imagining their faces at my funeral seals the survival.

I think it would take someone with some serious balls (or some serious stupidity) to take a bullet in that scenario.

Better yet, what if someone points a gun at your mother. Your best friend. Your child. Where do you draw the line? No words are worth a human life. Lets not forget, no-one can make you TRULY renounce your faith.

I would not consider anyone who gave up their faith in words to be a coward. I would consider them intelligent and realistic. There are people in this world who are, in all probability, dependant on you. Turning your back on them to save face?

That seems the real cowardice.

As for me. Hell yeah. "Im not a Satanist, okay, just put the gun away". Of course, that very night I would be doing the same old thing, with my family and friends (which I would now appreciate a hell of alot more!).