• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you be more happy as a dog?

Spiderman

Veteran Member

I mean if your owner loved you and threw the ball and took you for walks.

Dogs seem so happy to me when they are loved, going for walks, or chasing a ball or wrestling playfully.

Would you be happier as a dog perhaps?

I wouldn't want to be a dog, but they do strike me as being more happy than the average human, including myself.

Neither do they probably have thoughts of suicide or struggle with alcoholism or drug addiction.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member

Dogs seem so happy to me when they are loved, going for walks, or chasing a ball or wrestling playfully.

I wouldn't want to be a dog, but they do strike me as being more happy than the average human, including myself.

Neither do they probably have thoughts of suicide or struggle with alcoholism or drug addiction.
No way; I love my cognition!

Jeremiah Ames

ummmm, NO

Suave

Simulated character

Not neutered, I suppose I might fancy the ability to lick my family jewels; otherwise, the notion of me being canine has not much appeal.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
Possibly, but happiness is only one element in life to enjoy, and I wouldn't give up all of the other elements of humanity for it's sake alone. :)

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
What can I say? The chance to run and run, to sniff a whole world of sense, wrestle with another dog. Who would not like that. But not forever and a day.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

I would be happy to have some life.
Cat, dog, sparrow, insect......... Life is an absolute privilege, however one is living.

Question is, how would I cope with being a rock, or an atom of oxygen?
Hmmmmm..... meditation.

RestlessSoul

I used to look at my friend’s dog when we were kids, and wonder about that saying, “it’s a dog’s life”. This mutt seemed to have it pretty easy.

It’s certainly not easy being a human sometimes. Don’t think it’s meant to be. Dogs can’t read Tolstoy though. So I wouldn’t swap.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member

No. Where I live in Mexico, we are seeing an evolution in the way locals view dogs due to our foreign influence. Dogs were considered guards, and to be avoided. They might be left on a roof (that's been made illegal now) or left tied to a tree with no companionship.

upload_2021-8-20_10-37-8.jpeg

They are learning to see them as pets, friends, even part of the family, taking them for walks and dressing them in sweaters.

But even that life is worse than being human. They get hit by cars, they are sometimes killed by other street dogs (happened to a chihuahua two doors down at the hand of a stray pit bull before we lived in the neighborhood), and twice since I've lived in Mexico, people have placed poisoned food on the streets to kill them randomly.

But it's probably nothing like that for dogs near you, nor for our dogs, who don't go on walks. They have an enclosed yard to use for biological needs, and are taken to the dog park for exercise and socializing with other dogs.

Still, life is harder without hands or speech, even if you are safe and well cared for, and your people take you to the dog park. Sometimes we find one locked in a room for three hours. They act like we might not come back when we leave without them and are ecstatic when we return, moping in between as seen from home security cameras. And they cringe at the thunder and bottle rockets. So, there lives, while as good as they can be, aren't nearly as good as ours even during a pandemic of which they are blissfully unaware.