• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would an omnipotent God ever do what He does not want to do?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
To my knowledge Satan and his demons are also heavenly spirits and they will be destroyed - Hebrews 2:14 B
Sinner Satan and his spirit demons end up in ' second death ' as per Revelation 21:8

Sure God is all-knowing about Armageddon's date, and we know the season is now ripe - Matthew 24:32-33.
God lets us know we are in the last days of badness on Earth as described at 2 Timothy 3:1-5,13
But, as to who will survive ( saved/ delivered/ rescued ) is an Un-known number as per Revelation7:9,14
I do not believe in Satan or demons. I believe that Satan as mentioned in the Bible is symbolic for the lower sinful nature of man.

I do not believe in Armageddon. I believe we are already living in the end times, and I believe that end times refers not to the end of the world but rather the end of an age. I believe that Muhammad was the Seal of the Prophets because He closed off the Age of Prophecy, and then the Bab and Baha'u'llah ushered in a new age which began in 1844, called the Age of Fulfillment because the Bible prophecies will be fulfilled during this age.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Yes, because no matter how much this world changes it will still be physical and a physical world can never be paradise.
I fully agree. Jesus prayed that the Kingdom of God would be built on earth and I believe it is the job of humans to build that Kingdom.
I have been discussing this with a Christian on my forum and he says nobody ever went to heaven before Jesus because of John 3:13. I disagreed and I said:
As it says in the article below “The emphasis was on Jesus having the authority to teach on eternal life because He alone had come down from heaven to earth.”
What does John 3:13 mean? Did no one go to heaven before Jesus?
In John 3:13 Jesus said, "No one has ascended into heaven except he who descended from heaven, the Son of Man." Some have understood these words to mean no one went to heaven before Jesus. Is this true?
A look at the larger discussion of Jesus in this chapter demonstrates this is not true. Jesus was speaking with Nicodemus, a Jewish teacher who had come to Him at night with questions about the kingdom of God. The emphasis was on Jesus having the authority to teach on eternal life because He alone had come down from heaven to earth. The NLT translates the verse, "No one has ever gone to heaven and returned. But the Son of Man has come down from heaven."
Verse 17 further illustrates this point. Jesus stated, "For God did not sent his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him." Again, the emphasis is on Jesus coming to earth from heaven.
Other passages also illustrate the fact that some people went to heaven (or paradise) before Jesus came to earth. For example, in His response to the religious leaders in Mark 12:26-27, Jesus answered, "And as for the dead being raised, have you not read in the book of Moses, in the passage about the bush, how God spoke to him, saying, 'I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob'? He is not God of the dead, but of the living."
In addition, two men in the Bible were taken up to heaven without dying. Genesis 5:24 marks the event of Enoch entering directly into heaven (also Hebrews 11:5). Second Kings 2:11 records Elijah being taken to heaven by a whirlwind with chariots of fire separating him from Elisha. In Luke 16:19-30, Jesus shares an account of Lazarus in heaven at Abraham's side. This would indicate Abraham being in heaven before Jesus came to earth.
Hebrews 11 furthers includes a lengthy list of Old Testament saints who followed the Lord by faith. Though not explicitly stated, these individuals were noted as God's people who lived for Him and dwell with Him beyond earthly life.
Further, to make the claim no one went to heaven before Jesus provides many inconsistencies with other biblical passages that speak of God's people in eternity with Him. It is much more consistent with the context of John 3 as well as the rest of Scripture to understand Jesus referring to Himself as the one who came from heaven, giving Him authority to speak to Nicodemus regarding eternal life.
What does John 3:13 mean? Did no one go to heaven before Jesus?
The problem with that is that Jesus said that His work was finished here and he was no more in the world and that His Kingdom is not of this world:
John 17:4 I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do.
John 17:11 And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.

Jesus said that He had finished the work that God gave Him to do and He was no more in the world and He was going to the Father. This indicates that Jesus never planned to return (I am no more in the world) and there was no need to return since He finished the work God gave Him to do.
Then in the next chapter you have these verses:
John 18:36 Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.
John 18:37 Pilate therefore said unto him, Art thou a king then? Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice.

These two verses completely negate that Jesus is the King of this world, or that Jesus will ever come to this world to rule it, and they fit perfectly together with John 17:4 and John 17:11. Jesus came into this world to (1) glorify God (glorified thee on the earth) and (2) that I should bear witness unto the truth. He did that so there is no more reason for Jesus to be IN this world again. That is why Jesus said “I am no more in the world.”
I believe that Jesus was referring to heaven, where Jesus is now.
Hypothetically speaking, how do you think that everyone who ever lived and believed in Jesus could live on earth forever? How could earth sustain such a population, and how could anyone new be born?
Whereas I believe that is true about the Bible, it is also important to understand what the Bible means because otherwise we can be terribly misled.
I agree, because I believe that God sends Messengers in every age to assist mankind and teach us how to live a righteous life.
I cannot see how it is possible for Jesus to return because Jesus said His work was finished here, He was no more in the world, and His Kingdom is not of this world, as noted in the verses above.

Right, God's kingdom (Daniel 2:44) is Not part of this world ( world of badness ) .
Jesus is king of God's kingdom government for a thousand years - 1 Corinthians 15:24-26
The work Jesus finished was his being faithful to death. "It is finished".
Right, I agree Jesus is in Heaven, and will govern from Heaven .
I read at Genesis 5:24 that God took Enoch. It does Not say God took him to Heaven.
Rather, God took him in the sense that he was spared being killed by the enemies.
He was taken in the sense that his enemies would Not have the satisfaction of killing him.
As far as 2 Kings 2:11 it does Not say Elijah died.
Rather, he was taken up in a whirlwind, we see today that happening with a storm things being taken up.
That does Not mean taken up to God's Heaven, but we find such things in the mid-heavens were birds fly.
Please continue reading at 2 Chronicles 21:12 because Elijah is still very alive years later writing to the king.
So, Elijah was transported from one place to another place by that whirlwind.
Remember: No one listed in the 11th chapter of Hebrews received the promise - Hebrews 11:13; Hebrews 11:39.
The resurrection is future according to Acts of the Apostles 24:15 ' there will be (future) a resurrection... '

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I do not believe in Satan or demons. I believe that Satan as mentioned in the Bible is symbolic for the lower sinful nature of man.
I do not believe in Armageddon. I believe we are already living in the end times, and I believe that end times refers not to the end of the world but rather the end of an age. I believe that Muhammad was the Seal of the Prophets because He closed off the Age of Prophecy, and then the Bab and Baha'u'llah ushered in a new age which began in 1844, called the Age of Fulfillment because the Bible prophecies will be fulfilled during this age.

Thank you for your reply.
A lot of people don't believe in Satan, so you are Not alone.
In Scripture Jesus talked to Satan.
The end times (of badness on Earth) culminates in the last war (aka Armageddon - Psalms 46:9)
The end times as described at 2 Timothy 3:1-5,13 which sounds like today's news.
Not the end of Earth ( Earth abides forever - Ecclesiastes 1:4 B) but the end of an age of badness on Earth.
New age of fullfillment coming because Jesus will fullfill Bible prophecies such as found at Revelation 22:2.
As God promised father Abraham that ALL families, and ALL nations of Earth will be blessed (Genesis 12:3; 22:18)
Blessed with the benefit of 'healing' for earth's nations. Isaiah wrote No one will say, " I am sick...." - Isaiah 33:24.
This is why I find we are all invited to pray the invitation of Revelation 22:20 for Jesus to come !
Come and govern over Earth for a thousand years when even ' enemy death ' will be No more on Earth -1 Corinthians 15:24-26.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Thank you for your reply.
A lot of people don't believe in Satan, so you are Not alone.
In Scripture Jesus talked to Satan.
The end times (of badness on Earth) culminates in the last war (aka Armageddon - Psalms 46:9)
The end times as described at 2 Timothy 3:1-5,13 which sounds like today's news.
Not the end of Earth ( Earth abides forever - Ecclesiastes 1:4 B) but the end of an age of badness on Earth.
New age of fullfillment coming because Jesus will fullfill Bible prophecies such as found at Revelation 22:2.
As God promised father Abraham that ALL families, and ALL nations of Earth will be blessed (Genesis 12:3; 22:18)
Blessed with the benefit of 'healing' for earth's nations. Isaiah wrote No one will say, " I am sick...." - Isaiah 33:24.
This is why I find we are all invited to pray the invitation of Revelation 22:20 for Jesus to come !
Come and govern over Earth for a thousand years when even ' enemy death ' will be No more on Earth -1 Corinthians 15:24-26.
I believe that much of what you noted will come to pass, although I do not believe there will ever be an end to physical death. I also do not believe that Jesus will come and fulfill Bible prophecies. Jesus said His work was finished here and He was no more in the world and that His Kingdom was not of this world.

I believe that the Spirit of Christ returned as Jesus promised in the Person of Baha'u'llah, a man with a new name.

Revelation 2:17 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it.

Revelation 3:12 Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.

firedragon

Veteran Member
You are right... I think a better word is Will.
God does not have wants, God just Wills things to happen and then they happen.
God does have a Will so God can choose what He Wills.

These words are misleading. Even the word "Will" is misleading. One will turn around and ask "Will God do something he does not will" and in that sentence, will and want have turned into synonyms.

But if someone tries to understand the Quranic statement Qaadaa Amran, its slightly different. Qaadaa means a decision or a decree, a statement of whats gonna happen. When speaking in English you cant translate that one word into one word.

The word has a connotation where this particular declaration or decree is going to be completed by default. Its not like God wishes to do something. Neither does it mean God plans to do something. Its basically a decree but consider it already done. I dont know how else to explain it.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
These words are misleading. Even the word "Will" is misleading. One will turn around and ask "Will God do something he does not will" and in that sentence, will and want have turned into synonyms.

But if someone tries to understand the Quranic statement Qaadaa Amran, its slightly different. Qaadaa means a decision or a decree, a statement of whats gonna happen. When speaking in English you cant translate that one word into one word.

The word has a connotation where this particular declaration or decree is going to be completed by default. Its not like God wishes to do something. Neither does it mean God plans to do something. Its basically a decree but consider it already done. I dont know how else to explain it.
I think I get it. God cannot "plan" to do something because everything has already been ordained by God... God knows everything that has ever happened and everything that is happening now and everything that will ever happen all at once because God does not exist in time as we know it.

What has been ordained has been ordained. So everything is already laid out, although sometimes an impending decree can be changed if we pray and supplicate to God. I really like the way Baha'u'llah explained it, it is very clear.

“Know thou, O fruit of My Tree, that the decrees of the Sovereign Ordainer, as related to fate and predestination, are of two kinds. Both are to be obeyed and accepted. The one is irrevocable, the other is, as termed by men, impending. To the former all must unreservedly submit, inasmuch as it is fixed and settled. God, however, is able to alter or repeal it. As the harm that must result from such a change will be greater than if the decree had remained unaltered, all, therefore, should willingly acquiesce in what God hath willed and confidently abide by the same.

The decree that is impending, however, is such that prayer and entreaty can succeed in averting it.”

Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 133

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I believe that much of what you noted will come to pass, although I do not believe there will ever be an end to physical death. I also do not believe that Jesus will come and fulfill Bible prophecies. Jesus said His work was finished here and He was no more in the world and that His Kingdom was not of this world.
I believe that the Spirit of Christ returned as Jesus promised in the Person of Baha'u'llah, a man with a new name.
Revelation 2:17 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it.
Revelation 3:12 Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.
Very interesting reply.
To me there has to be an end to physical death because there will be an end to populating the Earth.
This I find at Genesis 1:28 because mankind was to reproduce ( fill the Earth ) until Earth was populated.
Not overfill nor overpopulate Earth, and without sin mankind could enjoy endless life on Earth.
So, God's purpose was that reproduction would finally cease, at least here on Earth.
God told in Eden as to what was good. Eve wanted to experience (have knowledge ) of both good and bad.
The bad God told them was: death. Death is evil and bad. You break the Law and you will die ( dying is bad ).
God did Not ever praise death, nor ever imply death was just a stepping stone to something better.
To me this is why 1 Corinthians 15:26 calls ' death ' as being our ' enemy ' (Not a friend ) .

Adam by breaking God's Law was in effect taking the Law out of God's hands and placing the Law into man's hands.
Adam set up People Rule as superior to God's Rule.
Thus developed the issue of Sovereignty. Who can govern the best: Man or God ____________
Men's laws which are of this worldly realm, or God's kingdom Laws that did Not originate with this world.
Thus, Jesus could say God's kingdom government is Not of this world, did Not originate here on Earth.
God's kingdom is heavenly, and Not located here on Earth as a literal or material seat of earthly government.
Jesus too said at John 17:14-16 that his followers are Not of the world (No part but separate) .
Not for his followers to be taken out of this world, but to keep them from this world's evils.
The un-numbered great crowd of people of Revelation 7:9,14 they come through the great tribulation alive right here on Earth, so those of Revelation 2:17; Revelation 3:12 are Not the persons of Matthew 25:31-33,37,
and are Not those persons of pre-Christians times who will be princes on Earth as per Psalms 45:16.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I think I get it. God cannot "plan" to do something because everything has already been ordained by God... God knows everything that has ever happened and everything that is happening now and everything that will ever happen all at once because God does not exist in time as we know it.
What has been ordained has been ordained. So everything is already laid out, although sometimes an impending decree can be changed if we pray and supplicate to God.

To me to pray and supplicate God to make a change is showing Not ordained but the having of free-will choices.
If everything is ordained by God then we should Not do anything to stop crime because we would be interferring with what God ordained.
If what has been ordained has been ordained by God then who are we to use any free-will choices to interfere with anything.
I find the people who come through the great tribulation of Revelation 7:14,9 is Not an ordained number, but an un-known number, so how can an un-known number be laid out, or pray to God to change what He said to be an un-known number to become a known number _____________
If ordained, then why would King Solomon write at Ecclesiastes 7:17 Not to be foolish and die prematurely. - Proverbs 10:27