• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worshipping/Revering Gods/Goddesses from different pantheons

Herr Heinrich

Student of Mythology
I am pretty sure this discussion has not been brought up in a while so I thought I would bring it up again.

I have renewed my study of Celtic culture and mythology and added the study of Norse mythology to my studies. I have always felt drawn to Brigantia/Brigid and I am also drawn to Cernunnos, especially recently (sadly I do not know much of him and I am trying to find more material on him). Recently I have found myself drawn to Odin as well. Strongly. He keeps cropping up everywhere as well. I do not consider worshipping different gods from different pantheons a very good idea.

I was looking for some input on my own situation and I also was wondering what people thought about worshipping gods from different pantheons.

Klaufi_Wodensson

Vinlandic Warrior
I have always viewed the Celtic and Nordic/Germanic Pantheons all to be facets of the same religion. I call myself an Anglo-Saxon Heathen, and yet the other day I made an offering to Belenos. So when it comes to Celtic-Germanic Pantheons, I don't see a problem. But if it were, say, Celtic and Hindu, I don't think it would be a good idea.

Antiochian

Rationalist
Some think mixing pantheons is a negative thing. If you're ecclectic, then I see no reason why you can't. If you're part of a certain Pagan/Heathen religion or Craft tradition, there may be more specific guidelines.

Say you're initiated into the Minoan Craft--in such a case, it would be inappropriate to incorporate Isis or Green Man into a specifically Minoan ritual. Neither deity is part of that tradition. But nothing prevents me from being devoted to either of those two deities or others outside the context of my Minoan workings. That's how I understand it.

Another issue that may come up is that of disrespect when you incorporate elements of cultures other than your own. For instance, if you have no Native American ancestry but feel a connection to White Buffalo Calf Woman, and want to incorprate her into your spiritual life, don't do so without talking to and learning from Native Americans first.

Hope this helps.

bain-druie

Tree-Hugger!
This will probably sound stupid, but - have you asked them? That's generally my first inclination, because I find that when I ask a human who's wiser than I, they tell me to go and ask my guides/gods anyway, so I may as well do it in the first place. :D

I don't know much about Asatru, though I have great respect for the Norse pantheon. I really dislike Taranis (Celtic storm god), and he really dislikes me, so I toy with the idea of adopting someone else's thunder god instead; but in serious practice it has not really come up. ;)

The personalities of the individual humans/deities/spirits is a component of the process of spirituality, but so is the collective character of a pantheon, I think. Celtic gods generally seem more laid-back than many others; they have their own journey as souls (I see them as more highly evolved than we are, and on a different path that intersects with ours) and part of their journey is to help us on ours as needed at times. But they're not pushy; if you decide to go on without them and try without their guidance or help, they don't resent it.

Herne (aka Cernunnos, so far as I have been taught) is a big part of my path right now as well; and Brighid was my first patroness. Based on my experience with them, I believe they both encourage people to develop intuitively as well as rationally; creatively as well as pragmatically. They provide an inherent balance, in many ways, and I do not see them becoming territorial or jealous of other gods being incorporated into your practice - certainly not from the Norse tradition.

But of course the way they interact with me on my path may differ from how they interact with you on yours; so take that for whatever it's worth. :shrug:

Herr Heinrich

Student of Mythology
I have always viewed the Celtic and Nordic/Germanic Pantheons all to be facets of the same religion. I call myself an Anglo-Saxon Heathen, and yet the other day I made an offering to Belenos. So when it comes to Celtic-Germanic Pantheons, I don't see a problem. But if it were, say, Celtic and Hindu, I don't think it would be a good idea.

I agree with your statement about them being facets of the same religion to a degree. I am learning that many of the gods of Celtic and Norse mythology, Tyr and Nuadu are good examples, are believed to be from a common earlier god. There are also many similarities between early Vedic (predecessor to Hinduism) and Celtic myth, the cultures were also very similar.

Herr Heinrich

Student of Mythology
Some think mixing pantheons is a negative thing. If you're ecclectic, then I see no reason why you can't. If you're part of a certain Pagan/Heathen religion or Craft tradition, there may be more specific guidelines.

Say you're initiated into the Minoan Craft--in such a case, it would be inappropriate to incorporate Isis or Green Man into a specifically Minoan ritual. Neither deity is part of that tradition. But nothing prevents me from being devoted to either of those two deities or others outside the context of my Minoan workings. That's how I understand it.

Another issue that may come up is that of disrespect when you incorporate elements of cultures other than your own. For instance, if you have no Native American ancestry but feel a connection to White Buffalo Calf Woman, and want to incorprate her into your spiritual life, don't do so without talking to and learning from Native Americans first.

Hope this helps.

This is very helpful. Thank you. It definitely makes sense what you are saying above about showing devotion to the different gods, but keeping them out of other cultures rituals.

Herr Heinrich

Student of Mythology
This will probably sound stupid, but - have you asked them? That's generally my first inclination, because I find that when I ask a human who's wiser than I, they tell me to go and ask my guides/gods anyway, so I may as well do it in the first place. :D

I don't know much about Asatru, though I have great respect for the Norse pantheon. I really dislike Taranis (Celtic storm god), and he really dislikes me, so I toy with the idea of adopting someone else's thunder god instead; but in serious practice it has not really come up. ;)

The personalities of the individual humans/deities/spirits is a component of the process of spirituality, but so is the collective character of a pantheon, I think. Celtic gods generally seem more laid-back than many others; they have their own journey as souls (I see them as more highly evolved than we are, and on a different path that intersects with ours) and part of their journey is to help us on ours as needed at times. But they're not pushy; if you decide to go on without them and try without their guidance or help, they don't resent it.

Herne (aka Cernunnos, so far as I have been taught) is a big part of my path right now as well; and Brighid was my first patroness. Based on my experience with them, I believe they both encourage people to develop intuitively as well as rationally; creatively as well as pragmatically. They provide an inherent balance, in many ways, and I do not see them becoming territorial or jealous of other gods being incorporated into your practice - certainly not from the Norse tradition.

But of course the way they interact with me on my path may differ from how they interact with you on yours; so take that for whatever it's worth. :shrug:

Are you an older, female version of me (edit: Wiser should also be in this list of adjectives, and amazing, that too)? Anyway, what you are saying is extremely interesting. I have noticed, just from the myths and the "vibes" I get when reading or thinking about them, that the Celtic gods are more "laid back" as you said. Why don't you and Taranis like each other? What about Esus and Toutatis, do you get along with them? They are considered to be part of a triune with Taranis. Lugus is seen as a combination of that triune. Have you ever encountered him?

bain-druie

Tree-Hugger!
Are you an older, female version of me (edit: Wiser should also be in this list of adjectives, and amazing, that too)? Anyway, what you are saying is extremely interesting. I have noticed, just from the myths and the "vibes" I get when reading or thinking about them, that the Celtic gods are more "laid back" as you said. Why don't you and Taranis like each other? What about Esus and Toutatis, do you get along with them? They are considered to be part of a triune with Taranis. Lugus is seen as a combination of that triune. Have you ever encountered him?

:areyoucra WHAT THE HELL DO YOU MEAN, 'OLDER'?!!? Knockout

bain-druie

Tree-Hugger!

LOL :p - with that out of the way *ahem*:

Taranis and I had an Unfortunate Incident somewhere in the mists of time. More on that some other time... I also dislike him intensely because of his character; he's way too tyrannical and pushy for my taste. The one time I interacted with him in this life, he really turned me off by coming across as a bully who only gets tolerated because he's protective. I can get equal or better protection elsewhere, thank you, without the macho ********. I have no use for him, or he for me.

Which is probably to be expected, since the Morrighan is one of my major patronesses. I get the impression from her that they have stormy sexual liaisons from time to time, but otherwise pretty much stay out of each other's way. I don't know if the mythology backs me up there; no idea.

My ignorance on the mythos is deliberate; I like to figure out the deities I come across by interaction first and foremost. Later, when it feels about right, I read up on them and usually I find it extremely illuminating - although sometimes I scratch my head and decide that I must have been mistaken about someone's identity.

I have never interacted with Esus or Toutatis, just Taranis. I get along well with Lugh, although he's not a major part of my practice right now. I've always seen him as quite separate from Taranis; his mythology is familiar to me, and his character strikes me very differently from the storm god's. [and of course any difference can hardly help but be favorable, IMHO] One of our seedgroup members insists she 'saw' Lugh once, at a mixed Beltaine celebration (Asatru and Druids), hanging out with Tyr and another Norse deity; that wouldn't really surprise me. ^_^

Herr Heinrich

Student of Mythology
LOL :p - with that out of the way *ahem*:

Taranis and I had an Unfortunate Incident somewhere in the mists of time. More on that some other time... I also dislike him intensely because of his character; he's way too tyrannical and pushy for my taste. The one time I interacted with him in this life, he really turned me off by coming across as a bully who only gets tolerated because he's protective. I can get equal or better protection elsewhere, thank you, without the macho ********. I have no use for him, or he for me.

Which is probably to be expected, since the Morrighan is one of my major patronesses. I get the impression from her that they have stormy sexual liaisons from time to time, but otherwise pretty much stay out of each other's way. I don't know if the mythology backs me up there; no idea.

My ignorance on the mythos is deliberate; I like to figure out the deities I come across by interaction first and foremost. Later, when it feels about right, I read up on them and usually I find it extremely illuminating - although sometimes I scratch my head and decide that I must have been mistaken about someone's identity.

I have never interacted with Esus or Toutatis, just Taranis. I get along well with Lugh, although he's not a major part of my practice right now. I've always seen him as quite separate from Taranis; his mythology is familiar to me, and his character strikes me very differently from the storm god's. [and of course any difference can hardly help but be favorable, IMHO] One of our seedgroup members insists she 'saw' Lugh once, at a mixed Beltaine celebration (Asatru and Druids), hanging out with Tyr and another Norse deity; that wouldn't really surprise me. ^_^

I hate macho. It irritates me to a greatly.

The Morrigan you say? I have always been interested in the Morrigan. What is she like?

thalassa

I think that it depends on how you view the gods. If you see the gods as actual begins with distinct personalities that are likely to clash or have their own opinion about what you do, how you do it, and who they share their space with...then it might matter to them.

But...I've been at this for over half of my life, and I have yet to have complaints or divine intervention...which indicates to *me* that if I'm "wrong", they don't care and if I'm "right", it doesn't matter. As such, I am a pantheist in theological opinion--I believe in the singularity of the Divine as the physical body of the uni/multiverse...and I believe that part of that uni/multiverse is the archetypal existence of individual deities, and am a soft-polytheist in terms of practice. For me, it doesn't matter if I mix or match or not (while overall I do, I don't within individual rituals, because the deities that I work with are specific to certain sorts of activities, or certain atmospheres based on their personalities).

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
I agree with most of what's been posted: some say you absolutely shouldn't, some say it's fine. What I think matters is if it works. Do they want to work together through you or will there be conflict? The only way to figure that out is to try it and see. Trial and Error may be a round-about way of doing things, but it's a fun ride and you learn a lot more than just using canned answers :)

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
I first became aware of my Path when I was 14-years old, though it may have started before then. And in all of my 40 years upon this Earth only once, so far, have I experienced what I would define as "divine inspiration" or the presence of some other god form. It happened when I was 20-years old when I performed my first ritual invocation of the Egyptian god Set. I won't go into the details of that Working as I have already related the documentation of what I experienced several times in the LHP DIR. What I will say here is what ever it was that I experienced that night was so profound that it changed my life for ever. And over the years, through my study and practice of the Black Arts I have also come to not worship but rather honor and Work with other Principles or god forms in my Quest for Magical Initiation and Self-Ascendence, such as:

1. Set (ancient Egyptian)
2. Khepera (ancient Egyptian)
3. Ma'at (ancient Egyptian)
4. Leviathan (Hebrew)
5. Anubis/Ap-Uat (ancient Egyptian)
6. Yog-Sothoth (Lovecraftian)
7. Nyarlathotep (Lovecraftian)
8. Shub-Niggurath (Lovecraftian)
9. Bast/Bastet (ancient Egyptian)

For ever in the Black Flame of Set.

Xeper.
/Adramelek\

Last edited:

Orias

Left Hand Path
I was looking for some input on my own situation and I also was wondering what people thought about worshipping gods from different pantheons.

Well I can assure you that they all ultimately benefit the First, now who or what the first is I have no idea.

Since my belief in my "God" has done nothing but opened my eyes to the world around me (or as I think it is).

And studying different religious, philosophical and mythological pantheons is a pretty big hobby of mine, I don't think any One "God' would have troubles with you expressing and attempting to interperate other "Gods", unless of course you bow to a tyranist, but that is not the case.

So indulge in what Nature has brought forth, because only We can invoke and obscure the realm of "Gods".

Best regards and Xeper.

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
Well I can assure you that they all ultimately benefit the First, now who or what the first is I have no idea.

Ave Orias,

It is interesting that you mention the "First". To me, of course, the First of Our Kind would be That which I reverently call the "Prince of Darkness". The word "prince" comes from the original Latin "princeps"= First or primal origin. This Form is also known to many Setian circles as the First Principle of Isolate Self-Awareness and That which is the original disruptor of the natural order of things, i.e. Black Magician, who we Setians choose to honor under the aegis of the Egyptian god Set, the most ancient and noble semblance of the Dark Prince given to him/it by humanity over 5,000 years ago from which the original Priesthood of Set can be historically traced.

Xeper.
/Adramelek\

Last edited:

bain-druie

Tree-Hugger!
The Morrigan you say? I have always been interested in the Morrigan. What is she like?

She is very.... well, she's.... :facepalm:

OK, one thing I can definitively state about my experience with her is that she is the surgeon to Brighid's nurse. She finds out what's wrong, and she gets rid of it. No ******* around. To continue the medical analogy: if you have an infection that's gone putrid, she'll find it, rip off the band-aids you ineffectually put over it, and clean it up. If necessary, she'll amputate without a second's hesitation.

Morrighan is frightening because she doesn't compromise; but when she has taken you under her wing (sometimes literally - she's a shapeshifter traditionally, and one of her shapes is raven or crow), her pitiless intervention is ALWAYS for your ultimate good.

Interestingly, she is a seeming paradox: she is a Goddess of fertility and healing (albeit *extreme* healing, as described above!) as well as of death and war. I could not reconcile this when I first heard of her, and kept my distance as a result. She came to me, not the other way round! As my path unwound, I understood her seeming contradictions to actually be complementary.

Morrighan is fearless, and she is an excellent teacher of courage; with her help, I have faced things without flinching that would formerly have turned me into a puddle of sobbing mush. She is not patient, and she gets angry when you're stupid (I *know* that for a fact!); but her love is deep, true, and as unyielding as her strength.

She gets a bad rep, and people tend to steer clear of her and warn others to do the same; but at least in my case it was based on leftover Judeo-christian constructs about good and evil that don't apply to our paths.

She's scary as hell, yeah, but she's also among the very best of guides, teachers, and even mothers. I adore her.

Herr Heinrich

Student of Mythology
She is very.... well, she's.... :facepalm:

OK, one thing I can definitively state about my experience with her is that she is the surgeon to Brighid's nurse. She finds out what's wrong, and she gets rid of it. No ******* around. To continue the medical analogy: if you have an infection that's gone putrid, she'll find it, rip off the band-aids you ineffectually put over it, and clean it up. If necessary, she'll amputate without a second's hesitation.

Morrighan is frightening because she doesn't compromise; but when she has taken you under her wing (sometimes literally - she's a shapeshifter traditionally, and one of her shapes is raven or crow), her pitiless intervention is ALWAYS for your ultimate good.

Interestingly, she is a seeming paradox: she is a Goddess of fertility and healing (albeit *extreme* healing, as described above!) as well as of death and war. I could not reconcile this when I first heard of her, and kept my distance as a result. She came to me, not the other way round! As my path unwound, I understood her seeming contradictions to actually be complementary.

Morrighan is fearless, and she is an excellent teacher of courage; with her help, I have faced things without flinching that would formerly have turned me into a puddle of sobbing mush. She is not patient, and she gets angry when you're stupid (I *know* that for a fact!); but her love is deep, true, and as unyielding as her strength.

She gets a bad rep, and people tend to steer clear of her and warn others to do the same; but at least in my case it was based on leftover Judeo-christian constructs about good and evil that don't apply to our paths.

She's scary as hell, yeah, but she's also among the very best of guides, teachers, and even mothers. I adore her.

Interesting! I really like your descriptions. I would like to meet her some day. I have a very strong affinity towards crows and ravens as symbolic creatures. Probably because I feel attracted to Odin and the Morrighan.