• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worship Questions

Iymus

1. What are the basic requirements or essentials of worship?

2. Where does worship start and where does worship end?

pearl

I think you need to provide a little more clarification; worship of what or who, communal or private, etc.

Maximus

the Confessor

1) He answered, "You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your strength, and with all your mind. And you must love your neighbor as yourself."

PureX

Veteran Member
To have some sense of, if not WHAT you are worshiping, then at least WHY you are dong so. And I would hope some idea of what 'worship' actually is.
I suspect that is an individual determination, based on the above.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

It's when one gives something or somone else worthy of our attention. It's an act and service of gratitude and appreciation. It's setting something or someone aside as the foundation of your time and respect. In many cases, that which you would not give to others.

Depending on the person(s), life is worship. Many don't seperate worship from other things they do. They are a part of them.

Iymus

I think you need to provide a little more clarification; worship of what or who, communal or private, etc.

1) He answered, "You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your strength, and with all your mind. And you must love your neighbor as yourself."

To have some sense of, if not WHAT you are worshiping, then at least WHY you are dong so. And I would hope some idea of what 'worship' actually is.

Humility. Concentration. Intention.

Depending on the person(s), life is worship. Many don't seperate worship from other things they do. They are a part of them.

When it comes to circumcision; the NT speaks of a Spiritual Circumcison which is more expedient or what really matters: I say this to ask;

When it comes to Worship; is there a Spiritual or Unseen form of Worship that is expedient or what really matters?

I asked the question because I noticed no one mentioned any type of physical; bodily posture, position, or exercise. That was the intention of my post to see if any type of physical body position would be mentioned concerning genuine worship. And It seems as if you guys already answered based off your response above.

pearl

I asked the question because I noticed no one mentioned any type of physical; bodily posture, position, or exercise. That was the intention of my post to see if any type of physical body position would be mentioned concerning genuine worship. And It seems as if you guys already answered based off your response above.

Body postures are included in some orders of worship. Standing, kneeling, peace offering gestures, offering respect, humility, peace etc.

Iymus

Body postures are included in some orders of worship. Standing, kneeling, peace offering gestures, offering respect, humility, peace etc.

Included being mandatory and necessary as like a law or statute?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
When it comes to circumcision; the NT speaks of a Spiritual Circumcison which is more expedient or what really matters: I say this to ask;

When it comes to Worship; is there a Spiritual or Unseen form of Worship that is expedient or what really matters?

A lot of worship forms have body postures. They are embedded into the prayers. I think the only ones who don't agree are many of the fundamental christians. Most religions understand worship and body posture (rituals) in relation to prayer.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.

Worship is the combination sense of fear and joy that we feel when we approach God, and what we do in response. Second, we don't always have that sense of coming before God, but we still behave as though we have, in order to give him glory and honor.

The exact behavioral response differs by culture. Jews stand in prayer. Catholics kneel. Muslims put their heads down to the floor.

Without spending an hour in reflection, I would say the only real requirement for worship is the intent to worship.

It's different if you are worshiping as a community. Then you have to have a set of guidelines that you all agree to so that you don't have chaos, and a common culture that you all assume expresses worship. For Jews this is liturgy: praying in community means everyone praying the same prayer in unison. For Pentecostals this is spontaneous responses only loosely bound by a schedule framework: praying in community means everyone praying individually at the same time.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member

For Christians.....I believe it means imitating Christ. (1Peter 2:21)

How did Jesus worship the Father? As a devout Jew, he attended the synagogue and all the Jewish festivals as was required in the Law. (Luke 4:16; Luke 2:40-42)

The first and foremost requirement is Love for God which comes from "knowing" the God you worship. (Matthew 22:36-38; John 17:3)

It requires that we also love our neighbors and treat them as we would like to be treated. (Matthew 22:39)

It means appreciating the sacrifice of God's son and why it was necessary. (Romans 5:8; 1 Peter 3:18)

It involves joining in worship with God's spiritual 'family' in the manner prescribed by God's word. (Hebrews 10:24-25)
It means not adding to or subtracting from what is stated in God's word...not accepting the commands of men as doctrines. (Matthew 15:7-9)

It means valuing ALL that is contained in God's word which is a record of his dealings with humans...what God requires of us....what we can expect from God. (Psalm 119:105; Romans 15:4)

It means understanding why God permits his human family to experience trials and tragedy and seeing everything in the big picture as necessary for God's purpose to be fulfilled. (1 Corinthians 10:6-13)

Any time you give God praise and glory, you worship him. At the times other than formal gatherings, we can commune with the Creator at any time that we might be out and about in his creation. The simple act of giving thanks for something observed or in sharing a problem and being given a solution. (Philippians 4:6-7)

For me, there is never a time when I am out of contact with my Creator, so there is no beginning or end...its my life.