• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worldwide Common Language

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Would it make a difference?

What language would stick the longest and be the most universal?

Why should/shouldn't we promote a worldwide language?

How should it be chosen?

joe1776

We have a common language in progress. English and American imperialism, and Christian missionary work from those two countries, have spread the English language worldwide.

It has been the only positive result of those two efforts, IMO.

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Would it make a difference?

What language would stick the longest and be the most universal?

Why should/shouldn't we promote a worldwide language?

How should it be chosen?

French was the common language of international liaison between government and diplomacy. Now French still plays an important role but English has taken over.

English is also the language of the air and sea. Since 2008 international pilots and tower staff must speak english in a measure to improve safety. Likewise the common language of shipping (seaspeak) is based on english.

I guess if an international language is chosen it should follow what already exists for safety reasons.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Tried, but never caught on.
I recommend Revoltistanian.
(It's remarkably similar to English.)

And English is remarkably close to being a universal language. That may change as the US loses some of its influence. Perhaps Mandarin will replace it.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
French was the common language of international liaison between government and diplomacy. Now French still plays an important role but English has taken over.

English is also the language of the air and sea. Since 2008 international pilots and tower staff must speak english in a measure to improve safety. Likewise the common language of shipping (seaspeak) is based on english.

I guess if an international language is chosen it should follow what already exists for safety reasons.

Good points. Now, if we could only get the US to go metric....

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
Esperanto.
A good start!

It is designed to be easy for Europeans; but for some reason it has not taken off despite being around for a century and a half There is not a lot of literature in it. It wasn't offered in my schools. I like that it doesn't require memorizing le and la forms for every noun, but Russian also has that feature as do several other languages.

I mean its great that its easy, but not many people use it. If that never changes then it can't be the worldwide language.

We have a common language in progress. English and American imperialism, and Christian missionary work from those two countries, have spread the English language worldwide.

The only positive result of those two efforts, IMO.
Unfortunately a lot of people hate English. Many learn it, because its required for business. They don't learn it well usually and prefer some sort of a creole. The spelling is challenging, and native speakers are picky. Its hard to speak without an accent. Maybe this is why it hasn't caught on everywhere? Look at all the Spanish speaking people in the USA. They haven't learned English. Why? They must not like it. Like many other languages it seems like it can't fill the bill for a permanent worldwide language.

BSM1

What? Me worry?

Beat me to it! As an aside, when we operated with NATO ships in the Med everyone was required to use English for radio transmission. Oy Vey, talk about a Chinese Fire Drill!

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member

French is a good entry, but it requires all of that le and la memorization. Its very pretty, but it doesn't offer a lot of ease compared to English, so how can it replace it? It is an old language, and many masterful works are written in it and much poetry; so people would benefit from learning it for that reason. It hasn't spread as well as some easier languages, and its notoriously difficult for some people to pronounce.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
A good start!

It is designed to be easy for Europeans; but for some reason it has not taken off despite being around for a century and a half There is not a lot of literature in it. It wasn't offered in my schools. I like that it doesn't require memorizing le and la forms for every noun, but Russian also has that feature as do several other languages.

I mean its great that its easy, but not many people use it. If that never changes then it can't be the worldwide language.

Unfortunately a lot of people hate English. Many learn it, because its required for business. They don't learn it well usually and prefer some sort of a creole. The spelling is challenging, and native speakers are picky. Its hard to speak without an accent. Maybe this is why it hasn't caught on everywhere? Look at all the Spanish speaking people in the USA. They haven't learned English. Why? They must not like it. Like many other languages it seems like it can't fill the bill for a permanent worldwide language.
Rather than introducing a whole new language, just alter English to simply it.
Notice that I use "thru" instead of "through"?

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
You might be joking, but people are already doing that internationally. Its the creole I was talking about, which people here in the USA probably wouldn't understand if we heard it.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
French is a good entry, but it requires all of that le and la memorization. Its very pretty, but it doesn't offer a lot of ease compared to English, so how can it replace it? It is an old language, and many masterful works are written in it and much poetry; so people would benefit from learning it for that reason. It hasn't spread as well as some easier languages, and its notoriously difficult for some people to pronounce.

Mandarin actually has a lot in favor of it, especially if the written form is pinyin. It has a large population base and literature already, a long history, rather simple conjugation of verbs (as far as I can see....still learning it). The main difficulty is the character set, which is relieved by the use of pinyin.

joe1776

For starters, we shouldn't need a pronunciation guide in the dictionary. The sounds should have consistent spellings. We'll need a Spelling Czar to invent and enforce Simple Spelling.:)

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
Mandarin actually has a lot in favor of it, especially if the written form is pinyin. It has a large population base and literature already, a long history, rather simple conjugation of verbs (as far as I can see....still learning it). The main difficulty is the character set, which is relieved by the use of pinyin.
I agree the spoken language is easy. The concept of the Chinese letters is interesting, but nobody wants to learn pinyin. Its like tangerines versus oranges. "I will learn the second-best way to write Mandarin, so that I can almost say that I know Mandarin." Its like two stage language. When I think about learning Mandarin I want to skip the pinyin.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

French has almost half a billion speakers, is really quite easy for english speakers considering over 40,000 english words are french or derived from french.

When the NY times regularly uses less than 1000 words in its publication you can be quite confident that you already know enough french to communicate.

Assuming of course you learn the basic inflection first and can speak through your nose

As for pronunciation, try it with a Lancashire accent