• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worldwide Common Language

Audie

Veteran Member
There are several disadvantages for Chinese be becoming a world standard language. One is that it isn’t one language, it is a family of languages, although Mandarin is preeminent. Two is that it is a tonal language. That makes it very difficult for non-Native speakers to learn. Consider how the word “ba” can have four different meanings depending on its inflection. Then there it’s use of pictographic form of writing. While pictographs have nice features, ease of use and learning is not its best suit.

There are sound reasons why English is the globally dominant language of commerce instead of Chinese.

Anyone with perfect pitch can do it! Those raised in a tonal
language nearly all have that. Use it or lose it seems the key.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!

Thats me out of the running then. Even my cats screech at my singing... Perhaps they like to join in.;

Shaul

Premium Member
But most Western languages don’t use tonality. So there is a hurdle for Chinese to be learned as a second language by much on the world. There is no such hurdle for second language learners of English. Which is one reason in favor of English being the preferred universal language.

Audie

Veteran Member
We have a common language in progress. English and American imperialism, and Christian missionary work from those two countries, have spread the English language worldwide.

It has been the only positive result of those two efforts, IMO.

Do you have an example of English being spread by
American imperialism?

On the missionary thing, in China the missiqonaries
have little success with their religion, but get people
who want English practice. :D

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
We have a common language in progress. English and American imperialism, and Christian missionary work from those two countries, have spread the English language worldwide.

It has been the only positive result of those two efforts, IMO.
There have also been commerce & aeronautical communication.

joe1776

Do you have an example of English being spread by American imperialism?
If you are unfamiliar with the countries involved in what I'm referring to as American Imperialism, Wikipedia can provide you with a more thorough list than I can from memory.

I can't provide you with examples of the language influence. However, the fact that such influence happens is common knowledge and I don't feel the need to support statements of common knowledge with evidence.

Audie

Veteran Member
If you are unfamiliar with the countries involved in what I'm referring to as American Imperialism, Wikipedia can provide you with a more thorough list than I can from memory.

I can't provide you with examples of the language influence. However, the fact that such influence happens is common knowledge and I don't feel the need to support statements of common knowledge with evidence.

I know quite well the list of countries
that have experienced
American armed intervention.

Which ones you would consider
imperialistic, and that resulted
in the spread of English is what
I was curious about.

You could have used fewer words
to just give an example or two.
Like, say, "Philippines".

joe1776

I know quite well the list of countries
that have experienced
American armed intervention.
I wouldn't have known that from your question.

Which ones you would consider
imperialistic, and that resulted
in the spread of English is what
I was curious about.
If you had asked that question as you just did, I would have answered it.

You could have used fewer words
to just give an example or two.
Like, say, "Philippines"
Thanks for the tip. I would welcome any further advice you can offer on how to communicate effectively.

dfnj

Would it make a difference?

What language would stick the longest and be the most universal?

Why should/shouldn't we promote a worldwide language?

How should it be chosen?

Gallows humor is considered to be Universal. It's a good place to start.

"A couple of New Jersey hunters are out in the woods when one of them falls to the ground. He doesn’t seem to be breathing and his eyes have rolled back in his head. The other guy whips out his mobile phone and calls the emergency services. He gasps to the operator: “My friend is dead! What can I do?” The operator, in a soothing voice, says: “Just take it easy. I can help. First, let’s make sure he’s dead.” There is a silence, then a shot is heard. The guy’s voice comes back on the line. He says: “OK, now what?”"

Audie

Veteran Member
I wouldn't have known that from your question.

If you had asked that question as you just did, I would have answered it.

Thanks for the tip. I would welcome any further advice you can offer on how to communicate effectively.

You could not figure out what is meant by,
"Could you give an example of English being spread
by American Imperialism"?
Sheesh.

joe1776

You could not figure out what is meant by,
"Could you give an example of English being spread
by American Imperialism"?
Sheesh.
You knew exactly what you meant so you can't understand why it isn't obvious to others?

dianaiad

So...how come I'm not allowed to say "Ain't" ?

Of course you are allowed to say 'ain't.' "Ain't' is a perfectly good word. It
Whereas in english it is so easy two give instructions too understand directions there destination for they're brake and where they can post their male.

No confusion at all

(grin) Nobody ever said that English maid cents. It's just...bigger and willing to steal stuff.

dianaiad

If you are talking about "imperialism,' you need to be more precise. The USA is probably the first nation in the history of the world that actually gives stuff BACK.

Yes, "America" has had its imperialist times....but nothing compared to British imperialism, and THAT, Audie, is where English got it's 'spread' the most. In fact, the reason that there are so many Hindi and African terms in the English language is directly attributable to that. Compared to British Imperialism, America has been a teeny kitten.

Come to think of it, America herself is the result of British emprialism. We just rebelled first...and more successfully. Mostly.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
Of course you are allowed to say 'ain't.' "Ain't' is a perfectly good word. It

(grin) Nobody ever said that English maid cents. It's just...bigger and willing to steal stuff.

Weather you like it or not its reel

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
It is designed to be easy for Europeans; but for some reason it has not taken off despite being around for a century and a half There is not a lot of literature in it. It wasn't offered in my schools. I like that it doesn't require memorizing le and la forms for every noun, but Russian also has that feature as do several other languages.
I find Esperanto horrendously ugly and contrived.

And while it lacks gender, it marks the accusative and requires adjectives to agree with the case and number of the modified noun. While not conceptually difficult it's nonetheless a bizarre and superfluous design choice if one is specifically aiming for simplicity. Case can be taken care of by syntax and prepositions, and agreement is as unnecessary as grammatical gender. Heck, you could even do away with verb tense. Chinese and Malay do just fine without it.

The worst part of Esperanto is the terribly designed phonology. Again, if you want simplicity don't allow consonant clusters and avoid phonemes that are obscure outside of Slavic. Compare Esperanto's phoneme set with say, Japanese or Hawaiian.

Mandarin is too difficult
Mandarin itself is actually quite simple. The writing system it is tied to is the difficult part.

The tone system is a hurdle, but it's far from insurmountable.

Last edited: