• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Word": Is there a person who invented any "word" of any natural or ordinary language?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Yes..friend,
I created my own meanings with words..using sound by means. sound be the Absolute, I did say in the beginning,
That 'silence' was my best friend..whom I can only trust fully!..it never did betray me! It is loyal!..And it always tells me the truth..I have taken the alphabetical letters..and reshaped their meanings to the sound I can hear from felt...for I am the musician, it is what I speak for(Heart)..only through its music..it controls my being...but the song that is sung here..is full of it!!!.
the universal language..is sound.

Friend!
Sorry, it is a sound, not a word, please.

Regards

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
"chortle (v.)
coined 1871 by Lewis Carroll in "Through the Looking Glass," perhaps from chuckle and snort. Related: Chortled; chortling. As a noun, from 1903."
chortle | Search Online Etymology Dictionary
Please quote from Lewis Carroll for his claim for having created the word.
Moreover, he just shortened two words so it does not qualify for our present discussion.

Regards

No, the documentation is prolific, do your own research and stop expecting others to do it for you

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
"Listerine is a brand of antiseptic mouthwash product. It is promoted with the slogan "Kills germs that cause bad breath". Named after Joseph Lister, a pioneer of antiseptic surgery, Listerine was developed in 1879 by Joseph Lawrence, a chemist in St. Louis, Missouri." Wikipedia
It is also a brand name, not a word, please.

Regards

Yes it both a brand name and a word. I e. I single, distinct element of speech used to identify a meaning

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
15 Words Invented by Shakespeare
  • Bandit. Henry VI, Part 2. 1594.
  • Critic. Love's Labour Lost. 1598.
  • Dauntless. Henry VI, Part 3. 1616.
  • Dwindle. Henry IV, Part 1. 1598.
  • Elbow (as a verb) King Lear. 1608.
  • Green-Eyed (to describe jealousy) The Merchant of Venice. 1600.
  • Lackluster. As You Like It. 1616.
  • Lonely. Coriolanus. 1616.
shakespeare original words - Google Search

Tom
15 out of about 1700 words that Shakespeare coined.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
"Chortle" by Charles Dodgson in 1871
"Embiggen" & "Cromulent" by one of The Simpsons writers in 1996.
"Nerd" by Theodore Geisel in 1950.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Let Paarsurrey finally come out with his secret. Allah created the word. What was that word? JHWH. Is that right, Paarsurrey?
That is what Allah told Prophet Musa (May peace be on him).

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Thanks for one's input.
Did Shakespeare claim to have invented these words, please?
If yes, then kindly quote from him for the claim, please?

Regards
But if you read the source that you provided, you will note something interesting about each and every word: "the word was in use for several decades before Shakespeare used it." Note: not "in use forever," just "for several decades." That means that the word was NOT in use before those several decades, and therefore, unless God popped down and added it to the dictionaries of the day, SOMEBODY first used the word. And that in itself answers your question in the OP. We may not always know the name of the person who first used the word, but it is an absolute certainty that somebody did use it first.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
But no claim from Shakespeare that he had created those words. Right, please?

Regards
So what if he made no claim? If he used a word, and nobody can find that it had ever been used before, then that makes it extremely likely that he was the first, does it not? Please?

Workman

UNIQUE
Friend!
Sorry, it is a sound, not a word, please.

Regards
Friend, a sound is a word, if no sound..words will not exist!
words are alive; word is physical..and their inner is sound..as same as human.How else are we to feel.

Your name..is held by a word..and the word was made from its sound..this is BY ORDER! the power of words is from sound.

Last edited:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Penicillin ,Alexander fleming
Penicillin is a group of antibiotics, derived originally from common moulds of the same names, from which include penicillin G, penicillin V, procaine penicillin, and benzathine penicillin. Wikipedia
penicillin (n.)
1929, coined in English by Alexander Fleming (1881-1955), who first recognized its antibiotic properties, from Modern Latin Penicillium notatum (1867), the name of the mould from which it was first obtained, from Latin penicillus "paintbrush" (see pencil (n.)), in reference to the shape of the mould cells.
penicillin | Search Online Etymology Dictionary

The word was already there since 1867, Alexander Fleming borrowed it from from Modern Latin. Thanks to Alexander Fleming who introduced/discovered this antibiotic medicine in service of humanity. Salutes to him, please.

Regards

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
"Muhammad could not read nor write"
Yes, and Muhammad did not write any verse of Quran.
If yes, then please quote from him.

Regards
Thank you,

I always assumed God "made Muhammad write verses, though he could not write nor read". Kind of Divine miracle. This I know is possible. Hence I could believe Koran to be true (90% maybe).

But now I read that others wrote it.

Credibility went down from 90% to 10%

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
paarsurrey said:
But no claim from Shakespeare that he had created those words. Right, please?

15 out of about 1700 words that Shakespeare coined.
Critic. Love's Labour Lost. 1598
"critic (n.)
formerly critick, 1580s, "one who passes judgment, person skilled in judging merit in some particular class of things," from Middle French critique (14c.), from Latin criticus "a judge, literary critic," from Greek kritikos "able to make judgments," from krinein "to separate, decide" (from PIE root *krei- "to sieve," thus "discriminate, distinguish"). The meaning "one who judges merits of books, plays, etc." is from c. 1600. The English word always has had overtones of "censurer, faultfinder, one who judges severely."

To understand how the artist felt, however, is not criticism; criticism is an investigation of what the work is good for. ... Criticism ... is a serious and public function; it shows the race assimilating the individual, dividing the immortal from the mortal part of a soul. [George Santayana, "The Life of Reason," 1906]A perfect judge will read each work of witWith the same spirit that its author writ;[Pope, "An Essay on Criticism," 1709]
For "inferior or incompetent critic" 17c. had criticaster; later generations used criticling, critikin, criticule."
critic | Search Online Etymology Dictionary
Friend! The world already existed so Shakespeare could not claim. Right, please?

Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
"Chortle" by Charles Doodgson in 1871
"Embiggen" & "Cromulent" by one of The Simpsons writers in 1996.
"Nerd" by Theodore Geisel in 1950.
Does one mean that the word "chortle" was used by Charles Doodgson in 1871 prior to Lewis Carroll" , please?

Regards

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Penicillin is a group of antibiotics, derived originally from common moulds of the same names, from which include penicillin G, penicillin V, procaine penicillin, and benzathine penicillin. Wikipedia
penicillin (n.)
1929, coined in English by Alexander Fleming (1881-1955), who first recognized its antibiotic properties, from Modern Latin Penicillium notatum (1867), the name of the mould from which it was first obtained, from Latin penicillus "paintbrush" (see pencil (n.)), in reference to the shape of the mould cells.
penicillin | Search Online Etymology Dictionary

The word was already there since 1867, Alexander Fleming borrowed it from from Modern Latin. Thanks to Alexander Fleming who introduced/discovered this antibiotic medicine in service of humanity. Salutes to him, please.

Regards

Yes HE discovered penicillin and named it Penicillin,you give birth to a baby you get the right to name it yes?