• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Winter Storm! WHOOT!

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
We got a foot of now. Some places around here got fifteen. Now it's time for the high temps in the negatives. The power went out for a while, but just as soon as I got the kerosene heater going, it came back on.

Thank goodness!

Hey, I just went outside to see if my car would start. Just for fun.

Nope.

Enjoy your day inside with heat and with food and cheap online entertainment!

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
Thank goodness!

Hey, I just went outside to see if my car would start. Just for fun.

Nope.

Enjoy your day inside with heat and with food and cheap online entertainment!

Yeah, I'm not even going to try to start my car, and I'm calling in to work. So you guys are stuck with me all day. :D

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Oh we can do hot toddies, too. :yes:

We don't have a garage, either. I'm looking at my car right now as a strange snow covered piece of yard decor rather than my transportation (doubt it will start either). Hubbie barely got his car to start. He got to work okay, but it took twice as long to get there, and he had to park in another parking lot and hoof it to his work on foot. :(

Big love from afar! :glomp2:

Your husband's car had trouble? Strange. Mine started just fine and I don't even have a block heater.

I normally park on a parking pad off my alley, but since the city doesn't plow alleys, I decided to park on the street last night. Good thing, too - I wouldn't have been able to get out this morning.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I do enjoy storms, watching them from inside the house like "you can't get me!"

But we haven't have any storms, but I think it's like -20 out here with windchill

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Kids' schools are canceled for tomorrow too. Road crews have been working non-stop in 12 hour shifts trying to clear all they can. They've been able to clear a lane or two on the major highways. It's going to take a while to get roads plowed in enough areas for school buses to get around safely.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Your husband's car had trouble? Strange. Mine started just fine and I don't even have a block heater.

I normally park on a parking pad off my alley, but since the city doesn't plow alleys, I decided to park on the street last night. Good thing, too - I wouldn't have been able to get out this morning.

Glad to hear!

Yeah mine won't start. It'll sound like the Little Engine That Could (I think I can, I think I can), but won't turn. I think I'm going to do the boiled water trick outside for fun. :D

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
The nearest this cold weather has come to touching me is when I watched the Niners - Packers game. Since the good guys won, I'm quite okay with the cold.
Sitting on my porch sipping a beer in about 27 degrees (celcius) probably helps my mood also.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
Negative thirty-something wind chill, with lows in the negative teens. They cancelled work today, and I'm hoping they do tomorrow as well. It's going to take at least a few days before they have the roads cleared enough to drive on again. Kids' school has been cancelled as well. I've thought about stepping out on the porch for just a few minutes, just to see what it feels like, but every time I have that thought, I decide to just stay in.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Negative thirty-something wind chill, with lows in the negative teens. They cancelled work today, and I'm hoping they do tomorrow as well. It's going to take at least a few days before they have the roads cleared enough to drive on again. Kids' school has been cancelled as well. I've thought about stepping out on the porch for just a few minutes, just to see what it feels like, but every time I have that thought, I decide to just stay in.

It's okay until you inhale. Or decide to blink. Then it hurts a little bit. So, it's pretty smart to just stay in while the polar vortex staggers around throwing the U.S. midwest into a crash course in arctic living.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Drove out to the County this evening (for my monthly trivia team - gotta have proper priorities! :D). High wind + flat fields with no trees = crazy blowing snow. Driving was a bit of an adventure.

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
I have a relative in Canada who told me yesterday that if you spit in Edmonton, it makes a "ting" sound when it hits the ground.

I heard from another that in some towns in the Great White North, they have had to inact emergency regulations outlawing pan and betel chewing (a practice done in India) because the spit of the red juice from chewing the tobacco laced pan freezes into horrible red spaghetti like strings that stand off from the ground like sprouting weeds which then attracts some odd fly. Also, something about the chemical compound of these frozen pan icicles, when you "snap" the red spaghetti string, it forms a sharp spike like needle that will cut right into a First Nations moccasin and stabs the foot.

I also heard that it is very, very cold, that some pigeons are trying to land in proper Canadian ladies "big hair doos" to "snuggle up", causing panic among the "upper class".

That it is so cold, big foot has been spotted trying to hang out with hobo encampments under bridges who have lit garbage can bon fires.

Om Namah Sivaya

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Woo hoo!
It's up to -12F & it's sunny!
I still have a whole lotta snow to shovel & throw, but things are looking better.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
LahinchPromenadeStormJan32014GEORGEKARBUSFREELANCE_large.jpg

We'd a big storm here too. This was just up the coast from us.

Source http://www.breakingnews.ie/discover...tory-behind-those-iconic-pictures-618970.html

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
OMG. The Canadian Mounties have now formed special "swat teams" specially outfitted with flasks of hot water with salt to be used to free Canadian school girls who have their tongue stuck frozen to flag poles. It is still undetermined why young Canadian girls would try to place their tongue to a flag pole in such cold conditions, but flyers are being distributed at all shopping malls and government post offices stipulating "do not do this" (with a picture of a girl sticking her tongue on a flag pole).

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
We're up to a balmy -3 (F) right now, sunny, and should see high temps around 20. Roads should be cleared up a bit more as the arctic air leaves the area. But I feel for those of y'all who are to the east.

Oh, and Ireland! Yikes!!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
OMG. The Canadian Mounties have now formed special "swat teams" specially outfitted with flasks of hot water with salt to be used to free Canadian school girls who have their tongue stuck frozen to flag poles. It is still undetermined why young Canadian girls would try to place their tongue to a flag pole...
It's because they have an innate drive to....uh...oh, dear...never mind.