• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why would a loving God make nature so brutal?

Treasure Hunter

We experience it that way, but so what? We're just one species. What we see as a brutal killing, a lion sees as lunch.
We should privilege our experience over our speculations about what a lion experiences. If you disagree, then we can’t productively communicate about morality.

MonkeyFire

You cant create nature unless it ended and began in single fiery moment like a phoenix, but the world has always been. Catylyzation is a omnipresent super fire.

Last edited:

Agnostisch

Egyptian Man
The belief among the Greeks and Babylonians was that good was the work of the Great God, and that evil was the work of the condemned gods. That is the myth that we read in The Book of Timaus plato: that the total god of Justice wanted all that in the universe to be good for him, he himself formed the eternal gods, removed all evil from it, gave it immortality, and entrusted it with the task of making all creatures, brought to it a mixture of spirit and body, of immortality and death, of goodness and evil; This myth, as the Great God walks away from the creation of evil and blames the condemned gods, finds a solution to the dilemma of evil!

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Considering that that bird is actually not singing but sending threats and warning to its neighbours, maybe it does think life is a bit brutal but who knows. Birds don't have the cerebral capacity for deep introspection so it's doubtful they can reflect upon the status the world and the universe, they are too busy scrapping by.
One of the main functions of bird songs, at least from what we can ascertain, is to find a mate. Or rather, female birds use the song of the males to decide their fitness for mating. We have no clue what the males are thinking when they're singing, as far as I know. I wouldn't try to guess the intellectual capacies of other beings based on brain size (or even the presence of a brain, as in the case of plants) as that has misled us many times before and tends to come from human arrogance.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I don't understand how death relates to what I have said. Let me elaborate on what I was talking about: Any relationship where the only benefit from being on it is to stand together with someone else is an abusive relationship. If you are in a relationship where your friend/spouse/deity is doing nothing for you while you are doing a lot for them you should get away as quickly as possible.
I have no idea where you get the idea that God does nothing for us from what I said.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
One of the main functions of bird songs, at least from what we can ascertain, is to find a mate. Or rather, female birds use the song of the males to decide their fitness for mating. We have no clue what the males are thinking when they're singing, as far as I know. I wouldn't try to guess the intellectual capacies of other beings based on brain size (or even the presence of a brain, as in the case of plants) as that has misled us many times before and tends to come from human arrogance.
Or it doesn't matter because our enjoyment of the birds' chirping is obviously more important than why they chirp.

MNoBody

apparently, it's all a matter of perspective. [simple stated]
all-a-matter-of-perspective.jpg

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
We are not capable of escaping our consciousness, even temporarily. To deny an inescapable filter only leads to deception and delusion.
How does taking into account what other animals think and how they see the world result in me trying to escape my consciousness? How does that even make sense?

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
@Rival @Treasure Hunter you're both right, in a different way. Yes, to a lion, eating a gazelle is just...lunch. And we can't fault the lion for that; it's how they're wired and they'd die if they didn't eat meat. That said, we're talking about a situation in which a presumably all-loving, omnipotent God created a universe where lions eat gazelles. Where organisms killing each other is literally necessary for the survival of the killer (and to maintain the balance of entire ecosystems). From the perspective of a moral agent (which the God in question presumably is) this is a brutally violent, bloody, cruel way to design a world. And that's the inherent conflict with imagining that such a deity would create it.