• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why would a god need middlemen?

Because I trust some of the prophets to whom the Gods have revealed themselves. Just like you are willing to convict people on the basis of eye witnesses, I am willing to believe in a God based on the testimony of certain prophets.

What are your standards for believing statements about magical beings/forces/events that allegedly happened hundreds of years ago in an age of superstition?

Actually I some good news for you. The situation is about the change. The Christ will be returning to earth very soon (very likely by end of this year).

What excuses are you going to tell yourself when he doesn't show up?

This time he will come in his 'full glory' - meaning as a 'God' not as an ordinary human being (he is still not the 'GOD') . The reason he can reveal himself now is that humanity is ready to accept him without any coercion, so there is no infringement of freewill (in a way humanity is about to graduate).

You're getting all this from who/what exactly?

Kemosloby

Premium Member
To sum up, what are your standards for something being believable? Do/have you ever questioned anything about your religion or do you just blindly except it?

I question everything. Being believable depends on what it is. So you would need to be more specific to get a specific answer to that question.

soulsurvivor

Premium Member
Your reasoning makes no sense. God sends messengers to make sure we know there's an all powerful, all mighty god watching them. Belief in these messengers teachings would thereby, by your "logic" take away their freewill. So if god is concerned with freewill, it would NEVER send messengers. So the "messengers" that have shown up most all be fakes and lunatics. Is that what you're saying?
Belief in something like the existence of God does not take your freewill - you can stop believing any time you wish.

However, some incontrovertible proof of the existence (like his actually appearance) will take away your freewill

soulsurvivor

Premium Member
What are your standards for believing statements about magical beings/forces/events that allegedly happened hundreds of years ago in an age of superstition?
Good question. How can we be sure? Three things really - first is the message itself - does it agree with your own reason/commonsense for humane, moral behavior and is it extraordinary enough not have been said by just some reasonably 'good' person. Second is the performance of miracles with many witnesses. The third is personal experience - usually can occur only if the prophet is living at the same time as you, but many people have had a personal vision of Jesus or some other being.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Then there is no point for this entity to ever come into contact with us, which means we know nothing about it if it even exists at all. I see zero evidence for the existence of some kind of creator that has plans/concerns regarding humanity. Just more unsupported claims and wishful thinking.

Does a tick know we exist, does a virus is there any reason for us to come in contact with them and the many other organisms that exist. Why do we interact with them?

Lets try the alternate
How and why did this all come about, did it always exist, was it an accident, was it a caused event? What ever you pick is just as possible as God did it. Perhaps you are right God has no specific plans for Humans we are just the next part of creation and will eventually die out Just like so many other species. Why don't we just exist like so many other species? Why do we have to know why?

soulsurvivor

Premium Member
We already have.
Multiple times. Religionists have been predicting the end of the world, soon, for many centuries.
You are not different, even if you believe you are.
Tom
I did not say anything about the end of world. The world has millions of years to go before its end. I only said that the Christ would return very likely by the end of year. We will know soon.

MJFlores

It seems obvious to me that revealed religions are bogus. Why would a god not announce it's desires and demands directly to the people? Isn't it blatantly obvious that anyone claiming to talk on behalf of a god is either insane or a con artist? If an old man who lived in your neighborhood disappeared for a week and then returned with a stone tablet he chiseled commandments into and claimed he spoke to god, would you believe him?

Hebrews 1:1-2 New International Version (NIV)

In the past God spoke to our ancestors through the prophets at many times and in various ways, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom also he made the universe.
200w_d (3).gif

What happened to the message and the prophets? What happened to the Son of God - whom God appointed to be heir of all things and the reason why he made the universe?

Acts 7:52
Was there ever a prophet your ancestors did not persecute? They even killed those who predicted the coming of the Righteous One. And now you have betrayed and murdered him

If the Holy God showed himself to unholy people, what do you think would happen to them in his holy presence? What would happen to people when even holy things are used in contempt? A good example would be the Israelites in the desert:

images

Leviticus 16:2
The Lord said to Moses: “Tell your brother Aaron that he is not to come whenever he chooses into the Most Holy Place behind the curtain in front of the atonement cover on the ark, or else he will die. For I will appear in the cloud over the atonement cover.

Numbers 4:15
“After Aaron and his sons have finished covering the holy furnishings and all the holy articles, and when the camp is ready to move, only then are the Kohathites to come and do the carrying. But they must not touch the holy things or they will die. The Kohathites are to carry those things that are in the tent of meeting.

Numbers 4:20
But the Kohathites must not go in to look at the holy things, even for a moment, or they will die.”

Leviticus 10:1-2 New International Version (NIV)

Aaron’s sons Nadab and Abihu took their censers, put fire in them and added incense; and they offered unauthorized fire before the Lord, contrary to his command. So fire came out from the presence of the Lord and consumed them, and they died before the Lord.

upload_2017-6-12_8-54-15.jpeg

2 Samuel 6:3
They set the ark of God on a new cart and brought it from the house of Abinadab, which was on the hill. Uzzah and Ahio, sons of Abinadab, were guiding the new cart. When they came to the threshing floor of Nakon, Uzzah reached out and took hold of the ark of God, because the oxen stumbled. The Lord’s anger burned against Uzzah because of his irreverent act; therefore God struck him down, and he died there beside the ark of God.

upload_2017-6-12_8-54-35.jpeg

Leviticus 22:9
“‘The priests are to perform my service in such a way that they do not become guilty and die for treating it with contempt. I am the Lord, who makes them holy.

Etritonakin

It seems obvious to me that revealed religions are bogus. Why would a god not announce it's desires and demands directly to the people? Isn't it blatantly obvious that anyone claiming to talk on behalf of a god is either insane or a con artist? If an old man who lived in your neighborhood disappeared for a week and then returned with a stone tablet he chiseled commandments into and claimed he spoke to god, would you believe him?

The main reason for involving men is that God is making men gods.
The priesthood, church, etc., is literally training to be the government (under the Father and Christ) of the world -and beyond -in the future

(Joh 10:34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?
1Jn 3:2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
Rev 5:10 And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth.
Isa 9:7 Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will perform this.)

Many claim to speak on God's behalf, but do not.
Those who do speak on God's behalf will accomplish what God wants them to accomplish -regardless of what some believe or perceive.

The best thing to do is to DO the truth which is obviously good -because we will be judged according to our works.
God will cause all to understand and believe various aspects of the truth to a greater extent in time -and in order -but some things are readily apparent in what was made -in our selves and our environment..

Poisonshady313

Why would a god not announce it's desires and demands directly to the people?

According to Judaism, the revelation at Sinai was a national revelation. Millions of people heard the voice of God. Moses was a leader and a teacher, but the people in his generation didn't have to take his word for it... they experienced it firsthand.

arthra

Baha'i
You claim your god is so powerful it created the universe and all life, yet it cannot find a reliable way to communicate with humanity. Are you for real? You are obviously unable/unwilling to see outside the box your religion has put you into. Your god concept is an obvious fabrication that does not stand up under the slightest scrutiny. Have a nice day.

Creation is an ongoing process and the universe is infinite... better stop playing those "telephone games"!;)

Last edited:
I question everything. Being believable depends on what it is. So you would need to be more specific to get a specific answer to that question.

What standards does Christianity meet to be believable that EVERY other religion fails to meet? Other religions have witness accounts and prophets and miracles. So what is special about Christianity?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
What standards does Christianity meet to be believable that EVERY other religion fails to meet? Other religions have witness accounts and prophets and miracles. So what is special about Christianity?
a good question.....don't lose it here buried in a thread
post as an op

Belief in something like the existence of God does not take your freewill - you can stop believing any time you wish.

However, some incontrovertible proof of the existence (like his actually appearance) will take away your freewill

You can't choose to believe something or not like flipping a light switch. That is utter nonsense. Either you believe something or you don't. I've known people whose religion made them miserable but they still believed. Belief isn't something you can just switch off. Another issue with your argument is that prophets (in stories) usually have god causing miracles and curses to prove he's there, incontrovertible proof. Your argument simply doesn't make sense, and if it doesn't make sense it's obviously nonsense.