• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why were men encouraged to be dumb during the 2000s?

AstroV69

It seems like that society was more conformist, superficial, and materialistic during the early 2000s. Reality TV was all the rage. The most socially powerful people seemed obsessed with materialism and extreme dieting if they were women and excessive exercise if they were men.

Why not aspire to be both strong and smart?

Like the astronauts!

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. Weak men create hard times.

Hold

Abducted Member
Premium Member
It seems like that society was more conformist, superficial, and materialistic during the early 2000s. Reality TV was all the rage. The most socially powerful people seemed obsessed with materialism and extreme dieting if they were women and excessive exercise if they were men.

Like the astronauts!
Duh..?.....just have a few more sets of bench presses then I can look up dem big words.....

Last edited:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Like the astronauts!

I didn't know that men were being encouraged to be dumb. Maybe I was too dumb to notice.

How I long for the days back when men were encouraged to be intellectuals and scholars.

three-stooges.gif

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Well...actually there was more romance on TV,...in the media.
I vividly recall that moment of history. People were much more optimistic, creative and assertive.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Dumbness enables political propagandists to manipulate behavior and beliefs. It discourages questioning and -- shudder! -- dissent,. It keeps the rich and powerful rich and powerful, and the people happy sheep.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Like the astronauts!

Why does your title specify 'men'?

I don't feel like I was more encouraged to be dumb in the 00's then I am now. In some realms (politics, for instance) I'd say the opposite is true.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I didn't know that men were being encouraged to be dumb. Maybe I was too dumb to notice.

How I long for the days back when men were encouraged to be intellectuals and scholars.

three-stooges.gif
To be fair, the Three Stooges were comedic geniuses. Does that count? ;)

PureX

Veteran Member
It was good for the advertisers. All of this content exists to keep people looking at the advertising. The advertising pays for it all. So the more eyes on the ads, the more money the content producers make. It's also why the news outlets got so biased and sensationalized.

Later, with pay to view streaming services (no ads) the content began to get better, because people were paying for the content, not the ads.