• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why visited religious place ?

chinu

chinu
shri-hemkunt-sahib-banner1.jpg

Shri Hemkund Sahib (Sikh religion pilgrimage)
Was planning to visit this place. But, failed due to COVID-19.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
You see, Chinu, it is a physical as well as emotional challenge. Think of times when people visited these places without airplanes, rail or road transport. It took months. Before starting on these journeys people had their last rights performed even while alive. Not all returned.

Yeah, the Gurudwara and the small old Lakshman temple (Red roof) are at a beautiful place. Lakshman, Lord Rama's younger brother, is supposed to have meditated here. Altitude 13,650 feet.
That means you were in India recently (you could have met me in Delhi :))!

Last edited:

chinu

chinu
You see, Chinu, it is a physical as well as emotional challenge. Think of times when people visited these places without airplanes, rail or road transport. It took months. Before starting on these journeys people had their last rights performed even while alive. Not all returned.

That means you were in India recently (you could have met me in Delhi :))!
Am already in India. I live in Bathinda, Punjab.

We use to visit Delhi 5-10 times in a year for our business needs.

Where do you live in Delhi ? :)

chinu

chinu
Lakshman, Lord Rama's younger brother
Friend, just saying Shri Lakshman ji is enough for me to understand for whom you are talking about.

I use to watch famous epics "Ramayana" and "Mahabharata" when I was kid. Now, I re-watched both the epics during COVID-19 lockdown-period. They are my favourite, and a lot to learn once again. :)

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
If, a non believer ever visited any religious place like Church, Mosque, Temple etc the first time in his/her life.

Why went there ?

I was in Liverpool in 2005 for three days and saw a sign which said that Liverpool Cathedral's High Tower was open to the public, so I visited and went to the top! I photographed the Mersey River for a panoramic photograph. :)

During the 1990's I visited St Paul's Cathedral in London and it's Tower was open to visitors, but it was closed to visitors not long afterwards, possibly because the stairs were definitely not designed for public safety.

I still do stop at churches when I'm out cycling, to rest in the church-yards, to read the very old grave stones and to look at the architecture.

God is in these places, but God is everywhere so it can't be just that.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Some of these places of pilgrimage are at extremely beautiful locations:

07_06_2020-kedarnathd_20360896_82248636.jpg

Boss has always wanted to go to Kedarnath. If not this lifetime, then next. For architecture alone, of the ones I've visited, Thanjavur is first, Rameswaram second. The sheer size of the main temple of Tanjore is impressive, but the halls at Rameswaram are unworldly.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Tilak Nagar or Subhash Nagar (Tilqak Nagar is closer to my place).
Confusion because I did not know that you were in India and knew about the stories.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Yeah, Kedar is a beautiful place with the massifs behind the temple (all 20,000 feet, we do not consider any as a mountain unless it is at least 20,000 feet), and supposed to be place where Sankara was buried. But it has become very crowded now, too many pilgrims.
Kedarnath 22,700, Kedar Dome 22,400.

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member
Thank you for your reply.

What do you mean by saying.. main reason ? is there any additional reason too ? :)
Yes. They may have have beautiful architecture, or art, or good music, or they are historically or culturally important. There is a range of reasons to visit such buildings.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Brahmins asking you for money/rituals, pickpockets, sometimes dacoits too (if you go to Chitrakoot, the place where Rama and Sita lived for sometime during their exile).

chinu

chinu
Brahmins asking you for money/rituals, pickpockets, sometimes dacoits too (if you go to Chitrakoot, the place where Rama and Sita lived for sometime during their exile).
But, they are everywhere, on railway stations, bus stops etc.