• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why visited religious place ?

pearl

I have never been but know people who have. I think one reason may be to get in touch with ones religious roots especially considering how Westernized religion has become. There is a church in Syria where the liturgy and chants are in Aramaic. I have a friend who brought home bottles of water from the Jordon River, later used in the baptism of his grandchildren. I think for me it would be the experience of being surrounded by the history itself.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
But, how will I point out ? Please tell :)

Tourist are the ones with the money and camera's. Stopping at all the souvenir stalls to buy tat and taking photographs of anything that moves or looks old. Devotees fight their way through the crowds of tourists to go into the chapel where they have to fight to get past tourists taking photos of the black madona or the vial of fake blood of some saint.

Forgot to say, the devotees will also be looking after the tat stalls selling the plastic, made in Taiwan memorabilia to the tourists

Last edited:

chinu

chinu
Tourist are the ones with the money and camera's. Stopping at all the souvenir stalls to buy tat and taking photographs of anything that moves or looks old. Devotees fight their way through the crowds of tourists to go into the chapel where they have to fight to get past tourists taking photos of the black madona or the vial of blood of some saint
Thank you.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
In most churches, etc. I have been in tourists far outnumber devotees.
Definitely why I prefer the 'off the tourist trail' magnificent stone masterpieces of South India to the tourist trail ones. Palani, and Tiruchendur come to mind over Madurai or Thanjavur.

Some groups use the tourist numbers to promote their religion, or brag about popularity.

chinu

chinu
The devotees are the one's....
1. Not carrying cameras
2. Not following a guide
3. Not wearing shorts and t-shirts
4. Reading from hymn books
5. Lighting candels
6. Bowing, kneeling facing the front.

etc., etc.
Thank you.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
If, a non believer ever visited any religious place like Church, Mosque, Temple etc the first time in his/her life.

Why went there ?

I was a practicing catholic. If I'm near a church, I'd say my respects to the sacraments and spend time in peace.

A Muslim invited me to his mosque. I also used to pray amongst Muslims (not with) so that religious peace isn't by religion.

I went to a Vietnamese temple and the monk gave me a tour of the bodhissavas and their blessings etc. I can't describe how it felt. Language barrier put a damper in deeper learning. I went to a Hindu temple briefly since I always wanted to go for years beforehand. Language barrier and extreme culture class with the esoteric and mystic practices were too complex.

It has nothing to do with disbelief. I don't even think about it like that. Either I connect or I don't. If I do, I learn more about it in a deeper sense. If not, I pay my respects, be a friend, and keep going.

Now if I took the sacraments, participated in puja, or bowed in muslim prayer, the question would make sense. Many people visit places of worship. Only few I know of youbnust be of that faith to even step foot in the door

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
The devotees are the one's....
1. Not carrying cameras
2. Not following a guide
3. Not wearing shorts and t-shirts
4. Reading from hymn books
5. Lighting candels
6. Bowing, kneeling facing the front.

etc., etc.
So too in India. You can spot the tourists a mile away. I'll add a couple of more. Tourists often carry a guidebook. Tourists are talking. Devotees aren't gawking at architecture. Devotees have a comfortable aura.

Nimos

If, a non believer ever visited any religious place like Church, Mosque, Temple etc the first time in his/her life.

Why went there ?
I have been to a lot of churches, besides funerals and people getting married etc, I sometimes go just to watch the architecture, I never go there when they are busy with stuff.

MNoBody

the european cathedrals were all built on the foundations of the older druidic sites
designed to resemble the style and feel of the same structure of learning and meditative development
the ones building these cathedrals designed them based on the alchemical great work, as apparatus to refine the crude clay [so to speak] of the coarse material put into them as the essential purpose and function
and form determines the function of any structure/edifice.
As a stone mason, the details of such are of interest.