• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Travel?

Audie

Veteran Member
Personally I don't think that travelling is necessarily such a great, noble thing - I would say in many cases, it's more of a luxury for those who are fortunate enough to have the money and spare time to go gallivanting around the world. Twain's remarks are a bit harsh on people who can't afford such self-indulgence as they barely have the money to feed their families. (And also a bit harsh on agoraphobics, for that matter!)

Its not nobel, and, I like nice things.
So bite me.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain) wrote: “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

Sound thinking, in my view -- so go on, scoot! There's a world out there just aching to make you a better person.

One of my favorite Twain quotes.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain) wrote: “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

Sound thinking, in my view -- so go on, scoot! There's a world out there just aching to make you a better person.
Perhaps not for all - given that many inhabit their own little worlds and often just try to recreate such wherever they go, especially the more wealthy. But I must say that seeing real poverty and what many would do to escape such had the most profound effect upon me, even if I did but have a glimpse of this and not have to live as so many do. So I was as much isolated in my comfort zone as many others are until travelling altered that.

Last edited:

RestlessSoul

They all come back eventually. To use the NHS.

They’ll have to now, because the Spanish health service is no longer available to them, as non EU citizens.

One of my oldest friends has lived near Cadiz for decades. He says that everything to do with bureaucracy has just got a lot more difficult recently, even though he secured his residency status some time ago.

My partner is French, and has had to jump through quite a few bureaucratic hoops despite living in England for 20 years. It’s all bollocks, I still dream of a world without borders.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
They’ll have to now, because the Spanish health service is no longer available to them, as non EU citizens.

One of my oldest friends has lived near Cadiz for decades. He says that everything to do with bureaucracy has just got a lot more difficult recently, even though he secured his residency status some time ago.

My partner is French, and has had to jump through quite a few bureaucratic hoops despite living in England for 20 years. It’s all bollocks, I still dream of a world without borders.
I like bollocks when it affects the expats (or "immigrants" as they are affectionately known*)

*I recall a tv programme on them in which one of them said (with a straight face) that a major reason he'd left the UK was because of the immigrants.

JIMMY12345

You realise how lucky we are to get 3 meals and a roof over our head
You realise people in cities have no time
You realise people in the countryside have more time and our nicer consequently
Its easy to get into a brain rut.Travel forces you to use your brain cells and avoid Alzheimer's.
Life is short and you will question in the last minutes what did I do and what should I have done
However granted you need a certain income.Living in tents in foreign lands comes not recommended.Who know exactly who will wander in.