• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Travel?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain) wrote: “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

Sound thinking, in my view -- so go on, scoot! There's a world out there just aching to make you a better person.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain) wrote: “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

Sound thinking, in my view -- so go on, scoot! There's a world out there just aching to make you a better person.

Twain was really intelligent. I have found that generally speaking, bigots haven't gotten out much.

Audie

Veteran Member

Its a terrif help for getting perspective on your home country too.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I would LOVE to get out of the country for a while.

Before the pandemic, my wife and I had a goal of getting out at least once every year (usually twice). That hasn't happened for a couple of years now and it SUCKS.

And, while travel can *help* towards treating bigotry, it is not a cure.

Once, when I was at Le Louvre in Paris, I overheard (could not help but) a loud American (note: I am also from the US) complaining that none of the information cards were in English. Well, duh!

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Before the pandemic, my wife and I had a goal of getting out at least once every year (usually twice). That hasn't happened for a couple of years now and it SUCKS.

Once, when I was at Le Louvre in Paris, I overheard (could not help but) a loud American (note: I am also from the US) complaining that none of the information cards were in English. Well, duh!
I daresay none of the information in an American museum would be in French, should a Parisian choose to visit.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member

Lol I half expected you to say he was upset that none of the information was “in American.”

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
I was planning a trip for last Spring to Scotland and Ireland, but alas, it was canceled. Want to rebook though!

Personally I don't think that travelling is necessarily such a great, noble thing - I would say in many cases, it's more of a luxury for those who are fortunate enough to have the money and spare time to go gallivanting around the world. Twain's remarks are a bit harsh on people who can't afford such self-indulgence as they barely have the money to feed their families. (And also a bit harsh on agoraphobics, for that matter!)

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member

I've had great fun with that travelling! As a Canadian (of a certain age), I've studied Latin, Greek and French -- and while I'll never claim to be fluent in any of them, I have enough that when I'm wandering through European galleries and cathedrals, I can basically "read the walls." I was with 3 friends in Westminster Abbey once, and was reading memorials in the chapel holding both Elizabeth I and her sister Queen Mary, and I was explaining to my friends some of the inscriptions on the walls (in Latin). And some Americans listening to me basically asked me to read stuff all over the place. I was in the cathedral longer than my friends wished to be, but I had fun, I must admit.

Last edited:

I broadly agree, have lived in 4 countries and love travelling, but it's certainly not fatal to prejudice and bigotry for all people.

Some of the most bitter and prejudiced people I've met are those who have spent a long time in a very different culture from that they grew up in and started to resent it.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Personally I don't think that travelling is necessarily such a great, noble thing - I would say in many cases, it's more of a luxury for those who are fortunate enough to have the money and spare time to go gallivanting around the world. Twain's remarks are a bit harsh on people who can't afford such self-indulgence as they barely have the money to feed their families. (And also a bit harsh on agoraphobics, for that matter!)
I don't believe either Twain or I claimed that it was "nobel."

However, much of what we discuss here on RF has to do with how we can "bring the world together," and the fact is, one of the things that we sorely need is an understanding and acceptance of cultures other than our own -- so that we no longer need to feel threatened by them.

I agree that for many people -- far too many -- travel is an unaffordable luxury, and I think that's a real shame, but that is beyond my personal power to fix, just at the moment.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I broadly agree, have lived in 4 countries and love travelling, but it's certainly not fatal to prejudice and bigotry for all people.

Some of the most bitter and prejudiced people I've met are those who have spent a long time in a very different culture from that they grew up in and started to resent it.
Yeah, I get that, but I think Twain was being largely philosophical. No question that there are people who bring their hatreds with them wherever they go -- but I think overall, the more we know about other people, the less frightening they become.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I agree. It's a tradition for Brits of a certain disposition (true patriots) to retire to Spain and create their own enclave (with English food laid on by the local restaurants).

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I agree. It's a tradition for Brits of a certain disposition (true patriots) to retire to Spain and create their own enclave (with English food laid on by the local restaurants).
The English never seem to have figured out that the natives of other nations were not dying from their local diets. Strange. I love food from all over the world, and can't wait to eat local wherever I go.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
The English never seem to have figured out that the natives of other nations were not dying from their local diets. Strange. I love food from all over the world, and can't wait to eat local wherever I go.
You're lucky to live in a large multicultural city then. You must have trouble choosing a cuisine some days, if you go out.