• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why the hell do we need relgion ?.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Nice words but no substance, your making up excuses for religion, there is no excuse for a imaginary of what we call religion.

Unless English isn't your first language, there's certainly no excuse for the utter lack of decent grammar you're displaying.

That lack actually makes me wonder if you even read my post very closely, let alone are in any position to accurately assess its substantiality, or judge whether it's just made-up excuses.

It doesn't do well for the credibility of your argument, if there's indication that you're not even willing to read what others are saying in response.

Now, will you answer my question or not?

psychoslice

Veteran Member
  • So many religions are there because so many people are unhappy. A happy person needs no religion; a happy person needs no temple, no church -- because for a happy person the whole universe is a temple, the whole existence is a church. The happy person has nothing like religious activity because his whole life is religious. ?

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Unless English isn't your first language, there's certainly no excuse for the utter lack of decent grammar you're displaying.

That lack actually makes me wonder if you even read my post very closely, let alone are in any position to accurately assess its substantiality, or judge whether it's just made-up excuses.

It doesn't do well for the credibility of your argument, if there's indication that you're not even willing to read what others are saying in response.

Now, will you answer my question or not?
Excuse me. I am not here to entertain you with my lack of grammar, I don't give a rats *** about my spelling or whatever you want from me., grow up for Christ sake.

Nyiix

Well of course, and the same to you of course, you don't truly know what is truth..............................and don't tell me lies.

I wouldn't call it just a concept. A concept is just a single idea. A religion (again; a label) is something much more complicated as it integrates a lot of concepts and tries to explain life.You cannot generalize and say that it is just a concept to anyone; because (as visible from these forums) that is clearly not the case.

True, I don't know what the truth is, neither do you. What I do know is what I believe in. So for ME, that is the truth. Am I enforcing this on you? No.

And really.. I haven't lied to you in any way. Why that unexpected remark? o_O

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I wouldn't call it just a concept. A concept is just a single idea. A religion (again; a label) is something much more complicated as it integrates a lot of concepts and tries to explain life.You cannot generalize and say that it is just a concept to anyone; because (as visible from these forums) that is clearly not the case.

True, I don't know what the truth is, neither do you. What I do know is what I believe in. So for ME, that is the truth. Am I enforcing this on you? No.

And really.. I haven't lied to you in any way. Why that unexpected remark? o_O
Yes you and I haven't got any idea of what is beyond if there is such thing, we can only know what we believe we know, and all this is from the past, and conditioning and programming. so. again why the hell do we need religion ?.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Who made those rules and why ?.

No one "made" them.

They organically developed over time among different cultures to serve their varying needs depending on a given environment. Different groups had different sets of rules. Originally they were akin to what we call taboos, and then later got codified into laws after the Agricultural Revolution allowed certain communities grow to sizes such that strangers started living in extreme proximity to each other (i.e., in cities).

They're there to establish trust within a group. That trust is vital to our survival. Before, we physically couldn't survive without the support and trust of the group, and now we can't psychologically survive without them because we lived like that for so long.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
No one "made" them.

They organically developed over time among different cultures to serve their varying needs depending on a given environment. Different groups had different sets of rules. Originally they were akin to what we call taboos, and then later got codified into laws after the Agricultural Revolution allowed certain communities grow to sizes such that strangers started living in extreme proximity to each other (i.e., in cities).

They're there to establish trust within a group. That trust is vital to our survival. Before, we physically couldn't survive without the support and trust of the group, and now we can't psychologically survive without them because we lived like that for so long.
So why are they true, if their is a established that is controlling all this, and if there is what and who is this establish, why is it true, can't ever be wrong ?

Riverwolf

Premium Member
So why are they true, if their is a established that is controlling all this, and if there is what and who is this establish, why is it true, can't ever be wrong ?

Rules have nothing to do with "truth".

I can't decypher the rest of your post because your grammar is all over the place. I've seen your other posts, and normally your grammar is fine. What's going on?

Last edited:

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
I feel that most people are insecure, and never really grow up, and hence religion, religion is an excuse to be or kept in a immature mind, and hence all the wonderful little stories that make us feel good, especially the life after death, after all no one wants to die, so lets make up a story about an afterlife lol.

I'm pretty sure that most religious belief results from the uncertainty and brevity of human life, and the fear of death. I'm pretty sure that most religious belief is about seeking comfort rather than truth.

HonestJoe

can we not live together in peace without a God standing over us and watching everything we do ?.
Clearly not. Of course the belief that there is some god standing over us doesn’t seem to make much difference.

Yes when we look into it or religion, all we see is B.S, so why are so many addicted to this nightmare ?.
Humans are messed up. Religion is just one tiny example of that and nothing that special in the grand scheme of things. You might as well ask what’s the point of anonymously posting generic rants on the internet. ;)

LegionOnomaMoi

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Why do we need religion
How non-Humean. Why do we "need" anything? How to we get from an is to an ought?
Are we that stupid that we cannot be kind to each other without a a big Daddy
Yes.

so is religion really for those who are stupid and cannot do what is right ?.
Religion generally doesn't concern god or morality. This form of religion is actually quite modern.
Yes when we look into it or religion, all we see is B.S, so why are so many addicted to this nightmare ?.
Perhaps because they are right. Perhaps because (as seems to be the case) we are biologically inclined towards belief. Perhaps it isn't a nightmare (certainly one need not imagine hellish realities from history that were distinctly anti-religious in origin). Perhaps you simply haven't sufficiently studied history, religion, philosophy (including atheist, such as Nietzsche, Camus, or Sartre), or metaphysics.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Imo, religion has its place and is helpful to many in establishing spiritual goals, paths, finding information etc. However I tend to think that once an individual has reached a certain level of spiritual development, organised religion can be a hindrance.
As for the other questions in the OP, I think that religion is complex and fulfills various needs such as a means of creating a sense of purpose to life, to gain power, to establish order etc. and of course it becomes a central aspect of individual identity. As with all human establishments, there are constant divisions and hence many branches and many differing religions.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Why do we need religion ?, can we not live together in peace without a God standing over us and watching everything we do ?. Are we that stupid that we cannot be kind to each other without a a big Daddy, so is religion really for those who are stupid and cannot do what is right ?. And why so many religions ?, is one better than the other ?, or are they all just plain egocentric, believing they and them only hold the so called truth ?.

Did you ever see a religious donkey ?

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
Did you ever see a religious donkey ?

th