• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why the hell do we need relgion ?.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Why do we need religion ?, can we not live together in peace without a God standing over us and watching everything we do ?. Are we that stupid that we cannot be kind to each other without a a big Daddy, so is religion really for those who are stupid and cannot do what is right ?. And why so many religions ?, is one better than the other ?, or are they all just plain egocentric, believing they and them only hold the so called truth ?.

Yes when we look into it or religion, all we see is B.S, so why are so many addicted to this nightmare ?.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Because God is bigger the n the little illusions, the MaYa;) The goal is to lose the ego! And awash in the ultimate universal conscienseness, the one. The all. And there, you will find 'theism'. You will lose the ideas of separation. But this is not for everyone. Because people choose to remain ''ego'' identity, instead of merging with the greater good.

:)

Last edited:

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I feel that most people are insecure, and never really grow up, and hence religion, religion is an excuse to be or kept in a immature mind, and hence all the wonderful little stories that make us feel good, especially the life after death, after all no one wants to die, so lets make up a story about an afterlife lol.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Hahahaha no... you assume so much. I was never theistic. Meidtation and 'mystic' only. Yet I propose theism, and look at the reaction. Because God is bigger the n the little illusions, the MaYa;) That people are so wrapped up in.
The goal is to lose the ego! And awash in the ultimate universal conscienseness, the one. The all. And there, you will find 'theism'. You will lose the uncertainty, and the ideas of separation. You will finally be able to comprehend the esoteric meaning behind the Scriptural passages that are not literal. But this is not for everyone. Because people choose to remain ''ego'' identity, instead of merging with the greater good.

:)
Yes I certainly realize about the ultimate Consciousness, after all that is who I am, but religion is a disease that takes us away from our true identity, and gives us nothing but faith, that is worth nothing.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I think religiosity is unnecessary but deeply rooted in human nature. Consequently, no matter how unnecessary religiosity is, we're most likely stuck with it in one form or another.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I think religiosity is unnecessary but deeply rooted in human nature. Consequently, no matter how unnecessary religiosity is, we're most likely stuck with it in one form or another.
Yes but why are we stucked by it, like why do we need this god in the sky ?.

Nyiix

I think it is because of several reasons ^^. Religion can act as a guideline, connect one to other people (humans are social creatures) or provide unexplained events (like it usually did in the past). I think nowadays it mostly comes down to seeking guidance, something that is perfectly fine.

Yes when we look into it or religion, all we see is B.S, so why are so many addicted to this nightmare ?.

I wouldn't really call it like that.. The general outline of most religions is great. It suggest a lifestyle that is regarded as fruitful for both you and your peeps. Do we really need it? I don't know. I can just say that my beliefs help me in life and give me the feeling that (on a spiritual level) I'm never alone.

And why so many religions ?, is one better than the other ?

I think most religions come down to the same thing really; differences being adaptions in the lore. There are so many different ones as people think differently and they made their own adaptions of it (also linguistically). I don't mind that there are so many; as long as they don't enforce ideas on others.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Yes but why are we stucked by it, like why do we need this god in the sky ?.

Religiosity seems to be rooted in our genetic code. I don't mean that specific forms of religiosity -- such as the belief in a sky god -- are determined by out genes, but rather than religiosity in some forms and fashions is based in our genes. Thus, there really is not so much a need for religiosity as there is an impetus to it. At least, that's how I see it.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I think it is because of several reasons ^^. Religion can act as a guideline, connect one to other people (humans are social creatures) or provide unexplained events (like it usually did in the past). I think nowadays it mostly comes down to seeking guidance, something that is perfectly fine.

I wouldn't really call it like that.. The general outline of most religions is great. It suggest a lifestyle that is regarded as fruitful for both you and your peeps. Do we really need it? I don't know. I can just say that my beliefs help me in life and give me the feeling that (on a spiritual level) I'm never alone.

I think most religions come down to the same thing really; differences being adaptions in the lore. There are so many different ones as people think differently and they made their own adaptions of it (also linguistically). I don't mind that there are so many; as long as they don't enforce ideas on others.
I certainly agree with you, but that isn't the way it is, and that is my question, why the hell do we need religion ?.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Religiosity seems to be rooted in our genetic code. I don't mean that specific forms of religiosity -- such as the belief in a sky god -- are determined by out genes, but rather than religiosity in some forms and fashions is based in our genes. Thus, there really is not so much a need for religiosity as there is an impetus to it. At least, that's how I see it.
Yes and I agree, but that's certainly not what is, and this is what frustrates me, its all so ugly.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
And why so many religions ?, is one better than the other ?, or are they all just plain egocentric, believing they and them only hold the so called truth ?.

This question, combined with the following statement, reveals that you've not looked much into religion in general at all, but have instead only looked into a very specific type of religion as it correlates to a very specific type of behavior. It is a mistake to regard fundamentalist Christianity as the microcosm for all religion everywhere.

The reason why there are so many religions is actually incredibly easy to answer: because there are so many different cultures. Why there are so many different cultures is also easy to answer: because different groups of people developed different cultures as a response to their given environments, which differed from others to varying degrees. This also answers the next question: the quality of a religion is dependent upon the environment of its practitioners.

"Egocentric" religions are more likely to develop out of egocentric overcultures, such as ancient Rome or the US. Such cultural egocentrism has also, in more recent times, influenced the behaviors of many atheists and anti-theists, who frequently also claim to have exclusivity to "truth" just like certain Christians do.

Nyiix

I certainly agree with you, but that isn't the way it is, and that is my question, why the hell do we need religion ?.

Why wouldn't that be the way it is XD? And as I said, my opinion on why we need religion is mostly the search for guidelines and support, along with other things I already mentioned in my post :D

Laika

Premium Member
we don't need "religion", but we do need systems of belief or ideologies to organise our behaviour and make the pattern of our existence comprehensible. A belief in god is not necessary for this, but some sense of pattern recognition that gives us a feeling of security in thinking the world works in predictable ways is required. Religion can offer that, but it is not unique in being able to do so.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Why wouldn't that be the way it is XD? And as I said, my opinion on why we need religion is mostly the search for guidelines and support, along with other things I already mentioned in my post :D
But are we so stupid that we cannot find our own guidelines, my god I have worked it out that we should harm each other, so why the hell do I need a god in the sky to tell me how to treat others.........what I am saying is that we must be stupid to need a god.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
we don't need "religion", but we do need systems of belief or ideologies to organise our behaviour and make the pattern of our existence comprehensible. A belief in god is not necessary for this, but some sense of pattern recognition that gives us a feeling of security in thinking the world works in predictable ways is required. Religion can offer that, but it is not unique in being able to do so.
Yes I like that, so really we are stupid without a god, thank whatever for those who see beyond a god, these are the real deal.