• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why should I believe in your religion and faith?

Fish-Hunter

Rejoice in the Lord!
No problem

We believe that Jesus Christ was a great messenger sent to the people of Israel to guide them to the truth. We believe he was a human being - but not God or son of God just like all the other prophets before him.

We also believe that Jesus Christ rose to heaven and he will return back again to Earth where he will fight the false messiah before dying like any other human being.

There are many surahs in the Qur'an that speak about Jesus Christ. You can the surah of 'Mary'. Here are a few verses:

1Kaf. Ha. Ya. 'Ain. Sad. 2(This is) a recital of the Mercy of thy Lord to His servant Zakariya. 3Behold! he cried to his Lord in secret, 4Praying: "O my Lord! infirm indeed are my bones, and the hair of my head doth glisten with grey: but never am I unblest, O my Lord, in my prayer to Thee! 5"Now I fear (what) my relatives (and colleagues) (will do) after me: but my wife is barren: so give me an heir as from Thyself,- 6"(One that) will (truly) represent me, and represent the posterity of Jacob; and make him, O my Lord! one with whom Thou art well-pleased!" 7(His prayer was answered): "O Zakariya! We give thee good news of a son: His name shall be Yahya: on none by that name have We conferred distinction before." 8He said: "O my Lord! How shall I have a son, when my wife is barren and I have grown quite decrepit from old age?" 9He said: "So (it will be) thy Lord saith, 'that is easy for Me: I did indeed create thee before, when thou hadst been nothing!'" 10(Zakariya) said: "O my Lord! give me a Sign." "Thy Sign," was the answer, "Shall be that thou shalt speak to no man for three nights, although thou art not dumb." 11So Zakariya came out to his people from him chamber: He told them by signs to celebrate Allah.s praises in the morning and in the evening. 12(To his son came the command): "O Yahya! take hold of the Book with might": and We gave him Wisdom even as a youth, 13And piety (for all creatures) as from Us, and purity: He was devout, 14And kind to his parents, and he was not overbearing or rebellious. 15So Peace on him the day he was born, the day that he dies, and the day that he will be raised up to life (again)! 16Relate in the Book (the story of) Mary, when she withdrew from her family to a place in the East. 17She placed a screen (to screen herself) from them; then We sent her our angel, and he appeared before her as a man in all respects. 18She said: "I seek refuge from thee to ((Allah)) Most Gracious: (come not near) if thou dost fear Allah." 19He said: "Nay, I am only a messenger from thy Lord, (to announce) to thee the gift of a holy son. 20She said: "How shall I have a son, seeing that no man has touched me, and I am not unchaste?" 21He said: "So (it will be): Thy Lord saith, 'that is easy for Me: and (We wish) to appoint him as a Sign unto men and a Mercy from Us':It is a matter (so) decreed." 22So she conceived him, and she retired with him to a remote place. 23And the pains of childbirth drove her to the trunk of a palm-tree: She cried (in her anguish): "Ah! would that I had died before this! would that I had been a thing forgotten and out of sight!" 24But (a voice) cried to her from beneath the (palm-tree): "Grieve not! for thy Lord hath provided a rivulet beneath thee; 25"And shake towards thyself the trunk of the palm-tree: It will let fall fresh ripe dates upon thee. 26"So eat and drink and cool (thine) eye. And if thou dost see any man, say, 'I have vowed a fast to ((Allah)) Most Gracious, and this day will I enter into not talk with any human being'" 27At length she brought the (babe) to her people, carrying him (in her arms). They said: "O Mary! truly an amazing thing hast thou brought! 28"O sister of Aaron! Thy father was not a man of evil, nor thy mother a woman unchaste!" 29But she pointed to the babe. They said: "How can we talk to one who is a child in the cradle?" 30He said: "I am indeed a servant of Allah. He hath given me revelation and made me a prophet; 31"And He hath made me blessed wheresoever I be, and hath enjoined on me Prayer and Charity as long as I live; 32"(He) hath made me kind to my mother, and not overbearing or miserable; 33"So peace is on me the day I was born, the day that I die, and the day that I shall be raised up to life (again)"! 34Such (was) Jesus the son of Mary: (it is) a statement of truth, about which they (vainly) dispute. 35It is not befitting to (the majesty of) Allah that He should beget a son. Glory be to Him! when He determines a matter, He only says to it, "Be", and it is. 36Verily Allah is my Lord and your Lord: Him therefore serve ye: this is a Way that is straight. 37But the sects differ among themselves: and woe to the unbelievers because of the (coming) Judgment of a Momentous Day! 38How plainly will they see and hear, the Day that they will appear before Us! but the unjust today are in error manifest! 39But warn them of the Day of Distress, when the matter will be determined: for (behold,) they are negligent and they do not believe! 40It is We Who will inherit the earth, and all beings thereon: to Us will they all be returned.

Would be it be fair to say that someone's view of Jesus Christ depends on which Holy Book they embrace to be authorative and true revelation from God?

Holy Bible = Extremely high view of Jesus Christ as the eternal God (God in the flesh)

Quran = Lower view of Jesus Christ - being a great Prophet who was only human. Muhammed was a greater prophet than Jesus Christ.

Is my understanding correct?

Ashraf

It is not actually the question of who has the higher view or lower view. It is the question of who is telling the truth. It is known among Christians themsleves that the bible was altered many times. That is why you have so many versions of the bible today. However, the Holy Qur'an has been preserved and was never changed throughout the centuries because God promised to preerve it.

Let me also add that none of the prophets before Jesus claimed that their people must worship a son of God or that God had a son. This is something to think about when comparing between Islam and Christianity.

Islam states clearly that the basic message of all the prophets sent to humanity is one message: to worship God alone.

Kcnorwood

It is not actually the question of who has the higher view or lower view. It is the question of who is telling the truth. It is known among Christians themsleves that the bible was altered many times. That is why you have so many versions of the bible today. However, the Holy Qur'an has been preserved and was never changed throughout the centuries because God promised to preerve it.

Let me also add that none of the prophets before Jesus claimed that their people must worship a son of God or that God had a son. This is something to think about when comparing between Islam and Christianity.

Islam states clearly that the basic message of all the prophets sent to humanity is one message: to worship God alone.

Sorry just like the bible it too was written by man there is no difference.

Fish-Hunter

Rejoice in the Lord!

Could you please share the Islam Faith with me.

Popeyesays

Quran = Lower view of Jesus Christ - being a great Prophet who was only human. Muhammed was a greater prophet than Jesus Christ.

Not that one, Islam teaches that both Jesus and Muhammed, Moses, Abraham too for that matter are Apostles of God and no one of Those individuals is elevated above or below the other.

Regards,
Scott

Ashraf

Could you please share the Islam Faith with me.

Islam is based on 5 pillars:

1- Believing there is no god but Allah and that Mohammad is His messenger
2- Performing daily obligatory prayers
3- Paying obligatory alms (zakah) to the poor and the needy
4- Fasting in the holy month of Ramadan
5- Performing pilgrimage to Makkah once in a lifetime (if able)

The pillars of faith in Islam are as follows:

1- Believing in Allah
2- Believing in His Angels
3- Believing in His Books
4- Believing in His messengers (whether we have knowledge of or not)
5- Believing in the Day of Judgement
6- Believing in fate (qadar) whether it is good or bad

UnityNow101

The Qu'ran, much like the Bible, is full of striking contradictions which have been brought up from time to time on this forum. When we elevate the written word to such a high level of importance, at the detriment of actual experience, it can and does lead to extremism on all sides and much conflict. Words or experience? What comes closer to truth? I can write anything that I would like but that would not make it true. I could claim that it was revealed by God, but that would not make it true either.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Thank you Muffled for your posting! I am familiar with the bible reference of Jesus saying "I am the way, the truth and the life". I believe it's from the book of Luke or John. If you take the Bible as the sole revelation from God, the traditional or historical Christian belief is very exclusive. I'm not saying that this is false or true. I just want to understand what is actually taught and believed by a religious group. I noticed that you are a Christian. It seems that you would be considered a traditional or historical Christian? I am puzzled by of your comment that "someone can improve your spiritual state further". Please share what you mean by that since I'm not familiar with teaching of that statement from my research on tradtional Christianity. Are you a Bible alone, or evangelical Christian?

John 14: 6 to be exact.

I do not.

I do not hold to the traditions of men but to the truth of God. All beliefs are exclusive. Once you hold a belief it excludes beliefs that are contrary. I suspect you are referring to a satanic concept of Christianity which may be historical but I very much disdain. I can however understand how a persecuted minority could develop that view.

I can't speak for every Christian group but the American Baptist Church that I was brought up in was very inclusive as long as the person had received Jesus as Savior. The Conregationalist Church that I belong to is very much the same but the concept of salvation seems to be somewhat watered down.

I tend to be iconoclastic. There are groups that consider me very non-traditional according to their traditions.

It is perhaps more of a Hindu concept. However traditional Christianity does recognize that faith can be a progression usually termed as "growth." As far as I can recall God never saved anyone in Hinduism and that makes a big difference.

Those aren't necessarily contrary beliefs. I am highly evangelical. I hold a very high regard for the Bible because I find the most truth in it in a way that I can understand, however God does speak to other people and it is always a good idea to listen. Since I believe the Bible to be dependable, I measure other scriptural texts by it.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Hi zenzero,

Thanks for the follow up discussion. I guess the object of my search is to find the truth with the self-interest that the truth will give me peace, happiness, contentment, joy, and purpose. I think all humans are basically on that same search without realizing it. Have some arrived at that destination? Can objective truth be found in this life?

Peace, contentment, joy and purpose are all available when a person receives Jesus as Lord and Savior. Happiness is fleeting. As the words to a song goes: "If you want to be happy for the rest of your life never make a pretty woman your wife." The song suggests you will be happy if you find a woman who is a good cook, (I did). There are occasions when I am not so happy with my wife (After 38 years) but it was not while I was eating in the past. Now I do the cooking and that only qualifies as adequate, lol.

You forgot love which is also availble through Jesus and science has said that there is a need for it and God is love.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Hi Katzpur,

Thank you for investing your personal time in sharing the Mormon Faith. I agree with your counseling that I should consider religions that believe they know absolute truth. I have found that Islam and different sects of Christianity teach that truth is absolute and is found through them. I have been reading the Quran and the Bible. I also have been researching Roman Catholicism too. Actually, I have been studying pretty intensely for quite awhile.

Forgive me when I misunderstand your postings because it is not easy to communicate through the Internet. It seems the Mormon Church can claim to be the correct religion because of being the church with apostolic authority. I believe the LDS.org website calls it Priesthood authority. It seems this is very similar to what the Roman Catholic Church teaches in their teaching of apostolic succession, and Peter being the first Pope of the Christian Church. How would we try to objectively determine which church has the authority from the Christian God, the Mormon Church and their prophets, or the Roman Catholic Church and their apostles. Do you see why I get confused and frustrated in trying to determine what is true? I would love to read your best efforts in presenting a case for authority for the Mormon Church over the Roman Catholic Church. Please share when time permits. I am using this forum site as one of my many tools in my personal search for truth. There is so much that can be found on the Internet nowdays.

pope-benedict-xvi.jpg
preshinckleylds.jpg

By their fruits you will know them. The Catholic church allowed children to be molested, the Mormon church allowed polygamy and many denominations have accepted the sin of homosexuality. There is no doubt in my mind that God didn't send these people to do such wickedness. There were plenty of false prophets in Biblical times and no doubt there are false apostles too, (People claiming to be apostles but aren't). It might have been easier to find churches that weren't apostate in the past but these days people are finding it more difficult to find a faithful church.

Muffled

Jesus in me
In my studies, this is my understanding on final authority.

Roman Catholicism - apostolic succession - (Pope and bishops in communion with him)

Mormonism - Priesthood succession

Protestantism - Final authority is the Christian Bible

It seems to me that the stronger position of obejective final authority appears to rest with Protestant Christianity. Roman Catholicism and Mormonism are built upon holy religious men that would have to error like all human beings. I guess you can create a teaching of ex-cathedra (speaking from the chair) to claim papal infallibility. Since Roman Catholics, Mormons, and Protestants believe the Christian Bible to be the Word of God, the authority would rest in the Holy Christian Book that they all have in common. I've also have studied the Protestant Reformation too. :)

The final authority always rests with God which means the Holy Spirit to Christians. The Pope and the President of the Mormon church (Prophet) are supposed to hear from the Holy Spirit but would they be able to speak contrary to their religious tradition if the Holy Spirit told them to? Anyone can read the Bible and wrest false conclusions from it. The Bible is only as dependable as the faithfulness of the person reading it.

Fish-Hunter

Rejoice in the Lord!
Not that one, Islam teaches that both Jesus and Muhammed, Moses, Abraham too for that matter are Apostles of God and no one of Those individuals is elevated above or below the other.

Regards,
Scott

Could someone who believes in Islam post if Mohammad is considered to be the greatest prophet, even greater than Jesus?

Fish-Hunter

Rejoice in the Lord!
John 14: 6 to be exact.

I do not.

I do not hold to the traditions of men but to the truth of God. All beliefs are exclusive. Once you hold a belief it excludes beliefs that are contrary. I suspect you are referring to a satanic concept of Christianity which may be historical but I very much disdain. I can however understand how a persecuted minority could develop that view.

I can't speak for every Christian group but the American Baptist Church that I was brought up in was very inclusive as long as the person had received Jesus as Savior. The Conregationalist Church that I belong to is very much the same but the concept of salvation seems to be somewhat watered down.

I tend to be iconoclastic. There are groups that consider me very non-traditional according to their traditions.

It is perhaps more of a Hindu concept. However traditional Christianity does recognize that faith can be a progression usually termed as "growth." As far as I can recall God never saved anyone in Hinduism and that makes a big difference.

Those aren't necessarily contrary beliefs. I am highly evangelical. I hold a very high regard for the Bible because I find the most truth in it in a way that I can understand, however God does speak to other people and it is always a good idea to listen. Since I believe the Bible to be dependable, I measure other scriptural texts by it.

Please share what the Apostle Paul means by Christ and Him crucified. What is the central message of Christianity?

Fish-Hunter

Rejoice in the Lord!
Islam is based on 5 pillars:

1- Believing there is no god but Allah and that Mohammad is His messenger
2- Performing daily obligatory prayers
3- Paying obligatory alms (zakah) to the poor and the needy
4- Fasting in the holy month of Ramadan
5- Performing pilgrimage to Makkah once in a lifetime (if able)

The pillars of faith in Islam are as follows:

1- Believing in Allah
2- Believing in His Angels
3- Believing in His Books
4- Believing in His messengers (whether we have knowledge of or not)
5- Believing in the Day of Judgement
6- Believing in fate (qadar) whether it is good or bad

It seems Islam is a works based and performance based Faith in contrast to Christianity. It seems to me that Christianity is centered on what God has done in Christ for fallen mankind. Islam seem to be what mankind can do for Allah to make it to paradise. I apologize if my understanding is not correct. Please correct any unintentional misrepresentation that I posted in regards to Islam and contrasting it with Christianity. I want to understand the central tenets of Islam. Is obedience to the 5 pillars of Islam the way to paradise (Heaven)?

Muffled

Jesus in me
Would be it be fair to say that someone's view of Jesus Christ depends on which Holy Book they embrace to be authorative and true revelation from God?

Holy Bible = Extremely high view of Jesus Christ as the eternal God (God in the flesh)

Not in my case. I believe that both the Bible and the Qu'ran are the Word of God and that they are consistent. I think that different views of Jesus stem from a lack of understanding of the Word. I believe the Qu'ran views Jesus a God in the flesh as stated in Sura 3:151. I do not believe that the Qu'ran has a lower view of Jesus but it is quite possible that Muslims do.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Please share what the Apostle Paul means by Christ and Him crucified. What is the central message of Christianity?

Are you referring to a specific verse? It would take a lot of study if you were referring to a compendiun of Pauline concepts about Christ and crucifixion.

The central message of Christianity is that a person can be saved from sin by receiving Jesus as Lord and Savior.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Prophet Mohammad was an illiterate man. There are also many verses in the Quran (scientific in nature) that prove he could not "invent" those verses.
Really?
Just how was this "proven" and by whom?

IF your reply is going to rely upon the Forer Effect, please disregard me whole post.

Fish-Hunter

Rejoice in the Lord!
Not in my case. I believe that both the Bible and the Qu'ran are the Word of God and that they are consistent. I think that different views of Jesus stem from a lack of understanding of the Word. I believe the Qu'ran views Jesus a God in the flesh as stated in Sura 3:151. I do not believe that the Qu'ran has a lower view of Jesus but it is quite possible that Muslims do.

I think I read in the Qu'ran that Jesus did not die at the cross. Therefore, Jesus was not resurrected from the dead. If this is true, how can the Bible and Qu'ran both be true?

1 Corinthians 15
The Resurrection of Christ

Now, brothers, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand. By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain.

For what I received I passed on to you as of first importance: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, and that he appeared to Peter, and then to the Twelve. After that, he appeared to more than five hundred of the brothers at the same time, most of whom are still living, though some have fallen asleep. Then he appeared to James, then to all the apostles, and last of all he appeared to me also, as to one abnormally born.

For I am the least of the apostles and do not even deserve to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God. But by the grace of God I am what I am, and his grace to me was not without effect. No, I worked harder than all of them—yet not I, but the grace of God that was with me. 11Whether, then, it was I or they, this is what we preach, and this is what you believed.

The Resurrection of the Dead

But if it is preached that Christ has been raised from the dead, how can some of you say that there is no resurrection of the dead? If there is no resurrection of the dead, then not even Christ has been raised. And if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith. More than that, we are then found to be false witnesses about God, for we have testified about God that he raised Christ from the dead. But he did not raise him if in fact the dead are not raised. For if the dead are not raised, then Christ has not been raised either. And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins. Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ are lost. If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are to be pitied more than all men.

But Christ has indeed been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep. For since death came through a man, the resurrection of the dead comes also through a man. For as in Adam all die, so in Christ all will be made alive. But each in his own turn: Christ, the firstfruits; then, when he comes, those who belong to him. Then the end will come, when he hands over the kingdom to God the Father after he has destroyed all dominion, authority and power. For he must reign until he has put all his enemies under his feet. The last enemy to be destroyed is death. For he "has put everything under his feet." Now when it says that "everything" has been put under him, it is clear that this does not include God himself, who put everything under Christ. When he has done this, then the Son himself will be made subject to him who put everything under him, so that God may be all in all. Now if there is no resurrection, what will those do who are baptized for the dead? If the dead are not raised at all, why are people baptized for them? And as for us, why do we endanger ourselves every hour? I die every day—I mean that, brothers—just as surely as I glory over you in Christ Jesus our Lord. If I fought wild beasts in Ephesus for merely human reasons, what have I gained? If the dead are not raised,

"Let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we die."Do not be misled: "Bad company corrupts good character." Come back to your senses as you ought, and stop sinning; for there are some who are ignorant of God—I say this to your shame.