• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why should diversity of religion exist?

Jim

Nets of Wonder
Although religion is meant to create love and unity it represents probably the largest group of ‘us and thems’ on the planet.

Some religions instead compete with one another for the number 1 spot and some leaders teach their followers that any other religion but theirs is satanic thus creating prejudices and hate between religions. There have even been wars so deep has the prejudice and hatred become.

But does it have to be like this?

Outwardly the different religions have different customs and traditions but inwardly they all strive for a higher purpose.

What would be the harm if we prayed and meditated and visited each other’s places of worship? In my travels I’ve visited Hindu Temples, Christian Churches, Muslim Mosques, Jewish Synagogues and Buddhist Pagodas and I found they all believe in truth and goodness.

So why don’t the religionists visit and worship together and establish friendship and fellowship because they all teach love and unity?

My wife and I who are of a different Faith have been visiting our local Catholic Church and we have made so many friends. They are so welcoming and loving. I believe if each religion extends true friendship to the other religions the time will come when diversity of religion will cease and we will be as one family.

What do you think?
Did you know that Baha’i worship services are for Baha’is only?

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I am a strong atheist, why should I go to a church? I think it will be quite silly to do so.
Generally for the same reasons you might visit another country, even if you wouldn't want to move there: it's a way to see another culture.

... and many church services really do feel like a completely different culture.

Also, some of them have nice architecture and artwork.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
Religions are born out of irrationality. People only need to do yoga, meditation and service to the sufferering, no more is needed.
That might be similar to what I’ve been thinking, spiritual growth and community service.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
And even the yoga and meditation part of that is optional.
Is there any kind of personal development that you think is needed? I see a need for what I call “spiritual growth,” where “spiritual” can be understood in non theistic ways.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
For what reason one should join in with a religious group or spiritual practice of another group to which one does not belong? I am a strong atheist, why should I go to a church? I think it will be quite silly to do so.
I find churches (including things like synagogues & things
with other names) so creepy that I'd rather go to the dentist.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
I'm not entirely sure I'm following, but it seems to me a misunderstanding of the core of monotheistic religions (at least the Abrahamic ones): God is truth, God gave us the way of truth. This is what believers call "religion" today (whichever one that may be). That religion is eternally true - it was true from the creation of the universe (some may say, even before that) and it'll be true to the end of the universe. It wasn't created by men that were looking around at their societies, finding faults and doing the opposite; it was created by God who was, is and will be, and is independent of a certain time period.

So of course the Bible invalidates other divine forces (in the way you mean them to be - other deities).
I think that calling Abrahamic religions “monotheistic” misses the point of the passages denying the existence of other gods. I think that’s all that they’re doing: denying the existence of other gods. They are not about how many of Him there are.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
Yes, as I said, to be friends with people from different religions or practices is no problem, but if we start to practice even just a little from their religion into what we ourselves have started to follow or cultivate, that is when the problem can occur. But friendship are ok
I agree with the point that you’re making, but I think that it’s possible to follow two different paths at the same time, without mixing them. Not that I’m recommending it for everyone. :smiley:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I agree with the point that you’re making, but I think that it’s possible to follow two different paths at the same time, without mixing them. Not that I’m recommending it for everyone. :smiley:
IF a person chose to follow two paths at the same time, how does the person know they not mixing the different mechanisms some masters install in their body? especially in the Asian cultivation path the master/teacher installs a mechanism that helps cultivators raise to higher levels. For example in Faun Gong, our Master install a Falun in each cultivator (it is installed in a different dimension, so even if we take an x-ray scan you can not see it. But each one of us feels it rotate. So if someone who had this was at the same time cultivating Christianity, they would be in danger of mixing the two teachings and make a mess out of themself spiritually, so who would be their master/teache? Jesus or Li Hongzhi in the case they cultivated Falun gong but also saw themself as Christians. I don't say others have to do as I say or think like me, It is just a part I see spiritual living can be difficult if one mixing teachings

Reactions: Jim

Jim

Nets of Wonder
IF a person chose to follow two paths at the same time, how does the person know they not mixing the different mechanisms some masters install in their body? especially in the Asian cultivation path the master/teacher installs a mechanism that helps cultivators raise to higher levels. For example in Faun Gong, our Master install a Falun in each cultivator (it is installed in a different dimension, so even if we take an x-ray scan you can not see it. But each one of us feels it rotate. So if someone who had this was at the same time cultivating Christianity, they would be in danger of mixing the two teachings and make a mess out of themself spiritually, so who would be their master/teache? Jesus or Li Hongzhi in the case they cultivated Falun gong but also saw themself as Christians. I don't say others have to do as I say or think like me, It is just a part I see spiritual living can be difficult if one mixing teachings
Yes, I can see the problem, and now that I think of it, when I was exploring a pagan path, it was not with a teacher, and I was not fully walking the path. It was with some pagans mentoring me, and I would not have done anything contrary to the advice of my teacher. I thought that it might help me with my spiritual growth, and I think it did, but I was not following two teachers. I can see that there might not be any way for that to work.

Milton Platt

I think you are making an unfair charicature of why you cannot join in with any religious or spiritual practice by a group you don't (wish to) belong to.

Religious groups are divisive for other reasons, e.g. where they view outsiders purely negative as "non-believers" and where they further the idea that you are magically "saved" simply by converting to just that one religion (and to no other path).

You are correct and I agree with you. I was trying to point out the very thing you stated....you just did a better job of it. Just because a group is friendly toward you does not mean they think of you as part of their group and would afford all the same courtesies they would of those who are of the group.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Is there any kind of personal development that you think is needed?
Define "needed."

I see a need for what I call “spiritual growth,” where “spiritual” can be understood in non theistic ways.
Once someone tells me what they mean by "spiritual" in a way that's coherent, I'll be able to say whether we actually need "spiritual growth."

The way people use the term, it seems to be a mix of things I'd agree are important but call something else and things that I'd probably consider nonsense.

Reactions: Jim

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

You would have to clarify that statement, as it is not fully correct, why was it that you decided to raise this?

The main event that are for Baha'i only is the 19 Day Feast, which is not a 'worship service', it has 3 distinct aspects. It is a core part of the administrative process.

RegardsTony

Jim

Nets of Wonder
Define "needed."

Once someone tells me what they mean by "spiritual" in a way that's coherent, I'll be able to say whether we actually need "spiritual growth."

The way people use the term, it seems to be a mix of things I'd agree are important but call something else and things that I'd probably consider nonsense.
That answers my question. Thanks.

Jim

Nets of Wonder
What would be the harm if we prayed and meditated and visited each other’s places of worship?
So why don’t the religionists visit and worship together and establish friendship and fellowship because they all teach love and unity?
You would have to clarify that statement, as it is not fully correct, why was it that you decided to raise this?

The main event that are for Baha'i only is the 19 Day Feast, which is not a 'worship service', it has 3 distinct aspects. It is a core part of the administrative process.

RegardsTony
What would be the harm if there were other people besides Baha’is at their 19 Day Feast? If there are good reasons for Baha’is to teach love and unity while excluding other people from some of their practices, then maybe there are good reasons for other people to do the same.

Last edited:

Jim

Nets of Wonder
I figured so. But I know what the Baha'is are trying to say. We are all one and need to all get along. And all religions are from God and are oh so beautiful. And I'm being so doggone negative for not seeing the positive things in all religions. Yet, here you are. Three years of this. Do Baha'is know you? Do they know enough about you to call you their friend? Is wasn't that long ago that Baha'is were calling you and me and Old Badger names. Loverofhumanity was the first to offer me an olive branch. And I respect him for humbling himself and doing that.
It looks to me like the Baha’is that people see posting the most about their beliefs either have a very poor understanding of what needs to happen, or don’t see any need to practice it in Internet discussions. I see them possibly trying to practice some spiritual qualities sometimes, but I see much, much more than that in what Baha’is are doing offline for the kind of fellowship and collaboration that the world needs, without bringing any of that into Internet discussions, or ever even saying anything about it, as if they’re ashamed of it or embarrassed by it.

Last edited:

Jim

Nets of Wonder
And what have we done with religions that had those types of beliefs? We've gotten rid of them. And they aren't all that ancient. The Aztecs were just a few hundred years ago. And, I don't know, but animal sacrifices to gods might still be going on. And then there's religions that use hallucinogenic drugs and cast spells and curses on people and I'm sure some form of "Temple" prostitution still goes on. No, not all religious practices are positive. And again, Baha'i support getting rid of superstitious beliefs don't they?

And some blow up Abortion Clinics and murder the doctors that work there. Plus, they promote what Baha'is would call "divisive" beliefs. You okay with that? Or, should those beliefs be done away with and beliefs that promote peace and unity between all religions be adopted instead?

Have Baha'is shown love, acceptance, and true friendship with people from the other religions here on the forum? It don't look like it. Loverofhumanity and you have made the best efforts at trying to show some respect and courtesy with people from other religions. But, please don't pretend that Baha'is have got it right. They don't.
I don’t think that Baha’is have got it all right, online or offline, but I want to remind you that there is a vast difference between what you’ve seen or heard of Baha’is doing, and what Baha’is are actually doing now, today, offline.