• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Should Anyone Pray?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Why should anyone pray? What good might it do? Who benefits from prayer? What does prayer mean to you? Is there a technique to it? If so, what's that technique? Is prayer a form of meditation?

Last, Is it true that most of the people you know on RF -- both men and women -- secretly want to paint their fingernails with racing stripes to show how fast they can respond to meaning of life questions, or is that just another silly RF rumor no one knows how it got started?

If you believe in god, i belive a prayer is a way of having a conversation. Or like when kids ask parents for stuff, us humans ask god for stuff, all god wants us to do is love him/her and remeber him/her

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Why should anyone pray? What good might it do? Who benefits from prayer? What does prayer mean to you? Is there a technique to it? If so, what's that technique? Is prayer a form of meditation?

Prayer is a lot of different things, and serves more than one purpose. First, it makes the pray-er feel better, and serves to help that person connect, build and maintain a relationship with their God(s). Also, it serves to focus the mind on something, whether it be a need, an emotion, or simply gratitude. And, there are as many ways to pray as there are people.

Last, Is it true that most of the people you know on RF -- both men and women -- secretly want to paint their fingernails with racing stripes to show how fast they can respond to meaning of life questions, or is that just another silly RF rumor no one knows how it got started?

...hmm....I might actually do that now...

Dream Angel

If you are religious - prayer is a way of communicating with God, thanking him for the things you have recieved/have and asking him anything you want to - or just for a general chat like you do with your parents if you are feeling down/or equally happy! Asking him to guide you on a particular issue or comfort you in a time of need. You could call it a phone call to heaven!

If your not religious - prayer can be a form of meditation, relaxation, thinking things through clearly. Have you ever been in a car and are confused about something so have spoken out loud to try and work out the solution? I know I have! (obviously I make sure noone is watching first! :) )

As for technique it depends on what you believe in.

xexon

Destroyer of Worlds
Prayer is nothing more than self affirmation. A mantra. It helps center your jumping mind to a focal point.

Think that by praying, you speak to "God"?

What are you going to tell God that God doen't already know?

Prayer, is for your ears. For your benefit.

x

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I pray so I can talk to God. Yes it is true He knows what I am going to say, but that doesn't mean I can't talk to Him.

Panda

42?
Premium Member
So would you say it is a comfort thing? It helps you focus and deal with your life and any problems?

ayani

for me, prayer is remembrance. sometimes i do ask for material things (please God, help us to find this child's lost shoes, he needs them), but usually i pray that my own attitudes and understanding will be in accordance with God's will and law. if this is given, how much easier and sweeter the hours become- less difficult, strained, and frustrating. gratitude and mindfulness come easier, and interacting with others becomes different, shifted, in light of prayer.

truly, it's not always easy, and i don't always "feel it". that's ok. what matters, i think, is that one makes a conscious effort to draw nearer to God's law and to pour out that understanding as freely as it is given to you.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Personally, I pray because I am 100% convinced that God DOES hear and answer my prayers. If there is anything of a spiritual nature that I can say I'm sure of, it's this. Of course I can't prove this to anyone, but I don't need to. Prayers works. I've proved it to myself.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Prayer is God's mechanism for transforming my heart. As I pray for understanding and enlightenment, God allows my heart to slowly understand his will. The more I learn to submit to his love the more he challenges me to change and to love.

People will only pray when they see the need to. It's like going to a doctor... if you don't see a benefit then there is no need for you to pray. However, if you pray and find your heart transformed you will never stop praying.

BruceDLimber

Greetings!

God needs NOTHING WHATEVER!

Prayer is for OUR benefit, and we are the beneficiaries thereof (there may be others who benefit, too, depending on the prayer)!

As an analogy, we can be considered to be like mirrors reflecting the light of God.

Prayer polishes the mirror.

Best, :)

Bruce

Peace

Quran & Sunnah

'Those believe in Our Signs, who, when they are recited to them, fall down in prostration, and celebrate the praises of their Lord, nor are they (ever) puffed up with pride.Their limbs do forsake their beds of sleep, the while they call on their Lord, in Fear and Hope: and they spend (in charity) out of the sustenance which We have bestowed on them" (Quran; 32:15-16)

The second pillar of Islam is prayer. The daily life of a Muslim opens with prayer, is punctuated throughout by prayer, and ends in paryer. We do pray five times a day. 1- In the morning just before dawn, (2)
when the sun is at the midpoint in the sky, (3) in the afternoon when the sun is halfway between the midpoint and sunset, (4) just after sunset, and (5) in the everning at least an hour and a half after sunset.
Prayer is a way of worshiping God, and bringing to mind God's injunction to submit to Him in a spirit of humility and gratitude. It is a way of communicating with our Creator. Muslim prayer is made up of cycles of repeated movements called raka`at. Each rak`a or cycle consits of standing straight, bending at the waist with hands on the knees, standing straight again, lowering oneself into prostration, rising to a kneeling position, and then prostrating a second time.
Before praying we do perform wudu', an ablution that consists of cleaning the hands, mouth, nose, arms, face, head, ears, and feet. Actually it's not only an outer cleaning but also an inner spritual cleaning.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Prayer is God's mechanism for transforming my heart. As I pray for understanding and enlightenment, God allows my heart to slowly understand his will. The more I learn to submit to his love the more he challenges me to change and to love.

People will only pray when they see the need to. It's like going to a doctor... if you don't see a benefit then there is no need for you to pray. However, if you pray and find your heart transformed you will never stop praying.

Well said! That reflects my own understanding of prayers. I do have a few rules though; the only thing I will ever ask in a prayer for myself is enlightenment. Praying makes me feel "in touch with all that is good"; I get an inner glow - the best description I can give. I can feel incredibly emotional when I pray; sometimes, prayer helps me to understand things that I was confused about.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz
My friends all drive Porchies, I must make amends
I've worked hard all my lifetime, with no help from my friends
Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz

Seriously, I pretty much agree with what xexon, ScubaPete, and BruceDLimber said.

Sonic247

Prayer hopefully takes you out of the realm of ritualistic man centered worship to communictating with a real God and having a personal relationship with God, it's just talking to God.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Prayer hopefully takes you out of the realm of ritualistic man centered worship to communictating with a real God and having a personal relationship with God, it's just talking to God.

Those of us who engage in ritual worship (just as Jesus did, BTW) don't see it as man-centered, but God-centered.

Worship, by the very etymology of the word, demands ritual of some sort. The ritual serves to call us away from our self-centeredness into "sacred space" where we can become centered on God.

Worship comes from two Anglo-Saxon roots. The second, ship, also means "shape." So right off the bat, we know that worship has a specific shape. It's a shape of events laid out in time. The first root is werden, which means "to become." so, worship is a shape of events in which we become something other than we now are -- in which God creates with us. Hopefully, as we worship, God peels away the layers we've built up around ourselves to get at the core of our being -- which is the pneuma, or Spirit. In symbiosis with the events that we plan and carry out, God works to create with us, as we work to open ourselves to creative energy.

The word liturgy comes from leiturgia, which is a compound word, comprised of two roots: laos, meaning "people" and ergon, meaning "work." Liturgy, therefore is the work of the people.

The liturgy and ritual is for our benefit, so that we can touch and see and hear and bring all of ourselves -- mind, spirit and body -- before God in worship and avail ourselves of what God would do with us.

I would contend that we don't so much communicate (speak to) God, as we commune with God -- that is, align ourselve with God's perfect purpose for us.

rocka21

Brother Rock
Matthew 21:22
And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.

pray is not just " conversation" with god.

it is also ASKING for things. ( that pretain to his will for your life , of course)

Sonic247

Amen. God would be the person to ask, it would be very easy for him to give us anything. But it's also important to not pray only to get material things (James 4:3) which I'm sure you already know.

Aasimar

Atheist
Prayer is a request for help from a non-existent entity. If you believe he is there, I suppose it comforts you in that your have unloaded your self-imposed burden upon your self-created father figure. Good if you believe in a God, down right useless if you don't. I fall into the latter category.