• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why not death?

Runewolf1973

Materialism/Animism
Why do we continue to press on. I can't seem, really, to find any answer, no longer how I search, on why anyone, especially myself, would want to just continue living. There is nothing guaranteed to look forward to looks towards.

We simply go on doing what energy/matter would have us do....existing and changing form. To even be such a small part of this world, this Universe, is such an amazing, incredible thing in and of itself...and we have to power to change things around us. You are just one person in such a vast world, so trivial as it may seem, but without you, this entire Universe would be incomplete. That is why energy/matter is not destroyed, only changes form...because this Universe needs you.

.lava

Veteran Member
Why do we continue to press on. I can't seem, really, to find any answer, no longer how I search, on why anyone, especially myself, would want to just continue living. There is nothing guaranteed to look forward to looks towards.

i can't seem to find any meaning for wishing something that does not really require my wish to happen in the first place

thedope

I don't see any particular reason for incarnation, it offers a series of sensations some of which we may call pleasant and some not so.

Reptillian

Hamburgler Extraordinaire
To quote Shakespeare, "Better to bear those ills we have than fly to others that we know not of."

My circumstances in life aren't optimal, but I enjoy the act of living. As long as I'm alive I can hope, seek truth, and dream of a better world. When the reaper comes for me, I plan on putting up one hell of a fight. My primary goal is to understand the natural world and my place in it. Only those that endure and surmount lifes obstacles become wise. As Einstein once said, "There is only one road to human greatness, through the school of hard knocks."

When faced with adversity, one can either lay down in the dust and give up, or one can search deep within oneself for strength to persevere. It takes courage and character to face life's challenges and come out as a better person.

Even the Good Book says that "Its better to be a live dog than a dead lion."

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Whoa, this is some seriously depressive and neurotic teen age material here dustin, I'm a bit surprised, as obviously you seem to present an interest in serious and interesting issues of politics and religion, all a man really needs is to find his area of interests, to find his space, and make his impression. I don't know about you, but even suffering, hatred, and all the filth of life makes some of the best material to work with and get inspired with.
honestly, don't make yourself sound like a self absorbed gothic youth, keep up your interest in current affairs, keep yourself interested in the political issues around you and you'll find enough material to keep you interested, keep yourself busy with your topics of interest, and always remember to take a break when you feel like it.

Diederick

I've struggled with the exact same question. I realized I needed an obvious purpose, but that's secondary.

I "press on" because that's life. What I mean by that is that, although you're bound to end up with a loss on the scale of happiness vs. suffering, being alive and going on with it is the only way to ever experience happiness. Life isn't fair, but not being alive leaves you without anything prematurely. I've once made a comparison to being on a deserted island where there is one coffee plant (the good stuff) on the top of a mountain in the middle of a freezing lake. The things you would go through to achieve the end-product of one steaming-hot coconut shell of freshly made coffee, are disproportional to the actual gain. But putting life on a scale like that is bound to drag you into a depression - like I said: you're going to end up with a loss.

Secondarily, I figured we, as a species, are part of a common struggle with that balance of happiness and suffering. Basically I regard it as my main purpose to sustain life and, most of all, try to decrease suffering and increase happiness for the people around me. That notion is what keeps me going most of the time, since it is hard to ignore the imbalance of the previous alinea. Altruism is sometimes a weak motivator, especially in the face of overwhelming evil making you wonder why one bothers to help other people.

So you keep going because that is the only way you'll come across happiness and, while on your own way, you can make an effort to help others towards happiness.

I think it is not such a personal position, basically I trust all healthy people see their purpose, either philosophically or just driven by natural instinct, to care for others. Of course, this entire wall of text falls apart when you believe in an afterlife... The being temporal of life and this world is essential.

CarlinKnew

Quite simply, you'll either self-justify your continued existence, or you won't. The overwhelming majority does, thanks to our "selfish" genes, so don't worry: statistically speaking, sooner or later you'll probably posit your own self-justification.

Onkara

We imagine we have a choice. Really we were destined to have died, we would have.

St Giordano Bruno

It all depends on your quality of life. If you are extremely old and lost all your faculties with in the final phases of Alzheimer’s, death could be a highly attractive option, perhaps the only option. But if you are fit, young and enjoying your experience of the world death could really suck irrespectively of what your philosophical and religious views of it are.

stlekee

Fool for Wisdom
I used to think life sucks
then I found out my attitude about life sucks

Abraham Lincoln said people are as happy as they choose to be.

Is it as simple as attitude? Maybe

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Its not either / or. Maybe it's both. Perhaps attitude has an effect on brain chemistry. And anti-depressants and other meds can help with brain chemistry issues.
I'm sure attitude can have an effect on brain chemistry in some instances.

Just because one thing trumps another thing doesn't mean it's either/or.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I remember being in the pit. Deep too. Chances are good I will eventually be feeling so that way again. Difference this time around is the recollections that were made from episode to episode are eventually inter-dispersed with the good things in life telling me that although life clearly and royally sucks eggs, its still worthwhile enough to hang around to experience the good winds when it eventually comes around. The difficulty for some folks is the ability to keep that in mind while in the low and frustrating end of things. That's why its typically seems much harder when your young as opposed to older, as its oftentimes difficult to see the patterns involving the highs and lows.

Klaufi_Wodensson

Vinlandic Warrior
I have been in a position where I had thought death was preferable. I had a way to go out all planned too, I just was waiting for that last thing to push me over. But I got through that, and if I ever feel that way, I say I am going to keep living, even if there isn't a sure purpose as to why, I just make a purpose up. I will keep living just to prove to myself that I can! :)