• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Islam is good for Latin America.

sovietchild

That explains it!

Some are OK. Not great, but OK. Malaysia, much of Indonesia, Albania, Kazakhstan, Bosnia, Turkey. They're probably around Central American standards.

Did you put Kazakhstan in there because of that Borat movie by any chance?

Koldo

Outstanding Member
You don't sound convinced. Are you being facetious? If you don't like Iran what about Somalia or Morocco? Libya? There's got to be at least one that's better than Mexico.

Me? Being facetious ? Hell no!
Iran is the bastion of human rights. Why wouldn't I want my country to be exactly the same ?

Kirran

Premium Member
How can you compare Kazakhstan and Central America? Kazakhstan is not even known to be the most violent region. Is it?

Actually to be fair, overall Kazakhstan is likely better than many Central American countries. But it is doubtless left in the dust by Chile, Argentina, Uruguay and Brazil. It might rival Bolivia.

Kirran

Premium Member
Astana is a very safe place with low levels of petty crime, and even lower levels of serious crime.The new town centre is safe to walk through until late at night, even for a woman alone.

Sharia law has no role in the judicial system in Kazakhstan.

Kirran

Premium Member
940px-Use_of_Sharia_by_country.svg.png

In this map of countries in the Organisation of Islamic Co-operation and non-members which have sharia, sharia plays no role at all in green countries, a role in personal status issues in yellow countries, applies in full (inc. criminal proceedings) in purple countries and applies in some areas only in the orange countries.

Note India is yellow, because the Muslim minority use their own law for personal issues - Muslim Indian feminists are protesting against this system most vigorously.

Now, if sharia is a cure-all those purple countries would be wonderful. Mauritania, Sudan, Yemen, Saudi Arabia, Iraq, the Maldives, Brunei, Iran, Afghanistan and Pakistan.

sovietchild

I'm hard pressed to think of a dumber, less progressive idea, actually.

Plus, how do you propose to covert hundreds of millions of people away from Christianity? It's not Christianity's fault that Latin America is in such terrible shape. If there was some Muslim country you could point to that is a shining example of righteousness and purity, you might have a case, but I'm unaware of any Muslim majority country that can claim that and keep a straight face.

How can you be so sure its not Christianity fault? Their religion allows them to drink alcohol. Where does drinking alcohol leads the society to?

Kirran

Premium Member
Interesting factoid - Kazakhstan has the highest alcohol consumption per capita out of any Muslim-majority country. Higher than Canada's, Chile's or the USA's.

sovietchild

Interesting factoid - Kazakhstan has the highest alcohol consumption per capita out of any Muslim-majority country. Higher than Canada's, Chile's or the USA's.

How can Kazakhstan be a Muslim nation and allow the sale of alcohol?

Kirran

Premium Member
How can Kazakhstan be a Muslim nation and allow the sale of alcohol?

Who knows? But it still happens. And this is the world's most peaceful and human rights-respecting Muslim-majority country, most likely.

I am not a big fan of alcohol and its impact on society, but I don't think that's the factor involved in these differences.

Kirran

Premium Member
Checked the numbers, and Kazakhstan has higher alcohol consumption than any Latin American country.

sovietchild

Who knows? But it still happens. And this is the world's most peaceful and human rights-respecting Muslim-majority country, most likely.

I am not a big fan of alcohol and its impact on society, but I don't think that's the factor involved in these differences.

Every action has a reaction. Consumption of alcohol is an abuse of medicine. The entire region is infected by something.

Where does the infection comes from?

Kirran

Premium Member
Every action has a reaction. Consumption of alcohol is an abuse of medicine. The entire region is infected by something.

Where does the infection comes from?

Not alcohol, evidently, because none of them drink as much as the Kazakhstanis do.

Must be a complex set of sociocultural factors.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
How can you be so sure its not Christianity fault? Their religion allows them to drink alcohol. Where does drinking alcohol leads the society to?

That's way too simplistic. I am an avid critic of Christianity on some fronts, but this is not one of them.
Just for starters, there is a commandment that says 'Thou shall not murder', an undisputed commandment. How then can we attribute our homicide rates to Christianity ?

sovietchild

Progress towards what ?
Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan, Pakistan, and so on ?
No, thanks.

I lived in Michigan for about 6 years. Almost every liquor store in Jackson, Michigan was owned by Afghanistan people. They would always dress in a white Muslim dress, I didn't know anything about Islam back then.

How can a person be a Muslim and own a liquor store?

Last edited:

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Astana is a very safe place with low levels of petty crime, and even lower levels of serious crime.The new town centre is safe to walk through until late at night, even for a woman alone.

That seems like a good news / bad news situation. It's great to hear that Astana is safe! On the other hand, it's telling that it's so hard for Muslims to name safe places where Muslims are the majority.