• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is the Amish Hardly Discussed in this Forum

CynthiaCypher

Nobody ever talks about them and I for one has never heard a peep from the Amish in this forum. Are we all Amish-phobic or what? Did we scare them off?

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
(For the record, I'm not sure if this is a joke or not...)

Considering the Amish generally shun modern technology and dedicate themselves to lives of farmyard toil and hard graft, I doubt that there are many who have either the inclination, time or the means to discuss their beliefs on an internet form.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Heee. Amish.
Part of me wants to make a joke about potato-powered computers.

But seriously, I think they're awesome.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Heee. Amish.
Part of me wants to make a joke about potato-powered computers.

But seriously, I think they're awesome.
The few examples I know of that give an insight into Amish life in at least a couple of communities in the southern states makes them out to be a hard-working, surprisingly upbeat and quite approachable and friendly, contrary to popular depictions.

Then again, these are only a handful of small groups that opened their doors to the outside world. I can't say the same for the others.

RitalinO.D.

(For the record, I'm not sure if this is a joke or not...)

Considering the Amish generally shun modern technology and dedicate themselves to lives of farmyard toil and hard graft, I doubt that there are many who have either the inclination, time or the means to discuss their beliefs on an internet form.

Mennonites could potentially use a computer for such a purpose, however I can't say I've ever seen one post on this forum.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
You guys banned them all didn't you?
That's an inside secret. ;)

The few examples I know of that give an insight into Amish life in at least a couple of communities in the southern states makes them out to be a hard-working, surprisingly upbeat and quite approachable and friendly, contrary to popular depictions.

Then again, these are only a handful of small groups that opened their doors to the outside world. I can't say the same for the others.
From what I've seen of them, it's the same; I'd say I wonder how much is them "acting nice" for the cameras, but I get the feeling they're generally like this. From a few things I've watched on them, there seems to be a surprising level of dissidence with some groups: I remember watching a documentary on them, and people were associating with "shunned" members, or Amish people who'd embraced modern technology, and so on.

Don't they have a kind of "gap year" thing as Amish people and set up their own communities when they get to a certain population who control what's on and off limits, as opposed to just one overall group? If so, what's to say that we won't have some Amish groups embracing technology (and internet) in a few years? Or would that be impossible still?

I'm not based in the US, so I don't know too much about the Amish.

CynthiaCypher

Don't they have a kind of "gap year" thing as Amish people and set up their own communities when they get to a certain population who control what's on and off limits, as opposed to just one overall group? If so, what's to say that we won't have some Amish groups embracing technology (and internet) in a few years? Or would that be impossible still?

I'm not based in the US, so I don't know too much about the Amish.

Rumspringa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I don't know if the OP is a joke or not, but I see no reason to talk about the Amish. They are inoffensive and peaceful people who have a strong faith. Also, I really don't know that much about them- except what I read in books or see in movies. I don't like discussing what I don't really know well enough.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
Mennonites could potentially use a computer for such a purpose, however I can't say I've ever seen one post on this forum.

Back when I was Eastern Orthodox, and Yahoo still had user created chat rooms, we had a Mennonite frequent our chat room. That's the only one I've ever met online, though.