• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is the “Christian” day of rest, on the 8th day?

2ndpillar

The word "Gentile" was not used at that time because "Jew" was not yet used, and a "Gentile" is a non-"Jew". However, the people who descended from Abraham via God's promise were called "Jews", and it is only they that use circumcision on the 8th day after birth. Gentiles generally don't since they are not required. It is clear that you really do not even get close to understanding both the Law and also the Abrahamic Covenant and how it does or does not apply and to whom.

Nothing short of judgmental and condescending clap-trap.

The meaning of the name "Abraham", is father of the people, and people would refer to the nations, such as the Gentiles. It did not refer to "Jews", as there was no designation such as "Jews". And when exactly did Moses circumcise his son, or to be more accurate, when did his Gentile wife circumcise Mose's son?

Since when does the testimony of the prophets, such as Zechariah 13:8-9 become "clap-trap"?

As a result of his obedience, God changes his name to Abraham, meaning 'father of the people'. The ultimate test of Abraham's obedience, however, comes in Genesis 22 when he is asked to sacrifice his son by Sarah - Isaac.Jun 23, 2009
BBC - Religions - Judaism: Abraham
www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/judaism/history/abraham_1.shtml

2ndpillar

There is no day of rest, after Christ Jesus death and Resurrection, that now we rest in Christ Jesus and not on any certain day of the week.

This is why Christ Jesus said, "Come unto me all you that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest"

Notice Christ Jesus said, ( I will give you rest)
Christ Jesus didn't say he would give you 7th day sabbath rest or Sunday rest,

Christ Jesus said, ( I will give you rest)
Pointing to himself, he will give you rest.

Does this mean you rest 7 days a week. Doesn't your employer have reservations about you not showing up to work? Does he still send you your salary check?

Faithofchristian

Does this mean you rest 7 days a week. Doesn't your employer have reservations about you not showing up to work? Does he still send you your salary check?

Look it has nothing to do with any days of the week.
When you rest in Christ Jesus, days of the week, have nothing to do with it.

2ndpillar

Look it has nothing to do with any days of the week.
When you rest in Christ Jesus, days of the week, have nothing to do with it.

So if you have a farm, and have 100 Catholic migrant workers, then you can work them 7 days a week, because they are resting "in Christ"?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
The meaning of the name "Abraham", is father of the people, and people would refer to the nations, such as the Gentiles.
The scripture says that that baptism on the 8th day after the birth of a boy is required, and gentiles nor Christians mandate that this is to be done:

Genesis 17[10] This is my covenant, which you shall keep, between me and you and your descendants after you: Every male among you shall be circumcised.
[11] You shall be circumcised in the flesh of your foreskins, and it shall be a sign of the covenant between me and you.
[12] He that is eight days old among you shall be circumcised; every male throughout your generations, whether born in your house, or bought with your money from any foreigner who is not of your offspring,
[13] both he that is born in your house and he that is bought with your money, shall be circumcised. So shall my covenant be in your flesh an everlasting covenant.
[14] Any uncircumcised male who is not circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin shall be cut off from his people; he has broken my covenant."

There is no day of rest, after Christ Jesus death and Resurrection, that now we rest in Christ Jesus and not on any certain day of the week.

This is why Christ Jesus said, "Come unto me all you that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest"

Notice Christ Jesus said, ( I will give you rest)
Christ Jesus didn't say he would give you 7th day sabbath rest or Sunday rest,

Christ Jesus said, ( I will give you rest)
Pointing to himself, he will give you rest.

Then God so willed Jesus rose from the dead to finish and fulfil all the works of God the Seventh Day so God the day The Seventh Day from all, his, works, rested.

Not your or anyone's day to declare or discard. It is God's Day of Sabbath Rest for Him and for those only whom He brings into sharing it with Him on strength of and because "In Sabbath's fullness"
of Divine fulfilment through and in Christ having raised Christ from the dead, IT PLEASED THE LORD.

Last edited:

Faithofchristian

Then God so willed Jesus rose from the dead to finish and fulfil all the works of God the Seventh Day so God the day The Seventh Day from all, his, works, rested.

Not your or anyone's day to declare or discard. It is God's Day of Sabbath Rest for Him and for those only whom He brings into sharing it with Him on strength of and because "In Sabbath's fullness" of Divine fulfilment through and in Jesus Christ through and in Him having raised from the dead, IT PLEASED THE LORD.

Christ Jesus fulfilled the sabbath day, Thereby Christ Jesus became our rest.

This why Christ Jesus said in
Matthew 11:28--"Come unto me, all ye, that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest"

Note Jesus said (he will give you rest)
Said nothing about giving sabbath rest.

2ndpillar

The scripture says that that baptism on the 8th day after the birth of a boy is required, and gentiles nor Christians mandate that this is to be done:

Genesis 17[10] This is my covenant, which you shall keep, between me and you and your descendants after you: Every male among you shall be circumcised.
[11] You shall be circumcised in the flesh of your foreskins, and it shall be a sign of the covenant between me and you.
[12] He that is eight days old among you shall be circumcised; every male throughout your generations, whether born in your house, or bought with your money from any foreigner who is not of your offspring,
[13] both he that is born in your house and he that is bought with your money, shall be circumcised. So shall my covenant be in your flesh an everlasting covenant.
[14] Any uncircumcised male who is not circumcised in the flesh of his foreskin shall be cut off from his people; he has broken my covenant."

And yet Moses didn't circumcize his son on the 8th day, yet his Gentile wife did circumcise their son as a young boy, and that circumcision was acceptable to the angel of God.

As the 7th day, is the day of rest, and the 7th millennium, such as the 7th day, will be the day of Israel's circumcision of the heart (Jer 31:31) & (Ez 36:22-26), who is going to be circumcised in the 8th millennium?

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I'm not looking up a dozen bible quotes for a discussion that doesn't concern them, ravi. I would have hoped you would have remembered that from ReligionForums.org. The fact of the matter is that if you're putting qualifiers on Christian being in regards to "what Jesus wanted," then he never wanted to be worshiped at all, or start a religion. So thus every single Christian and Christian sect on Earth is "not Christian" by those standards.

Right, I find Jesus never wanted to be worshipped and directed people to worship his Heavenly Father.
According to Romans 10:4 Jesus fulfilled the temporary Constitution of the Mosaic Law contract.
That old Hebrew Law was only for one nation, the nations of ancient Israel.
So, after Pentecost the Christian congregation (Acts of the Apostles chapter 2) became the Christian standard.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
So what does make someone a Christian?
Agreeing with you?
Tom

I find agreeing with the teachings of Jesus as found in Scripture.
One MAJOR thing that makes someone a Christian is found at John 13:34-35.
Genuine or ' wheat ' Christians would have the same self-sacrificing love for others as Jesus has.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Apparently, according to you, they have nothing to do with resting either.

I find at John 5:17 where Jesus says his Father has kept working until now, and I (Jesus) keep working.
So, God's ' rest day ' was resting from creating further creation works at this time frame.

Faithofchristian

There's no where in the New Testament that Christ Jesus ratified Sunday worship as part of the New Testament. For Sunday worship to be part of the New Testament, Christ Jesus would had to ratified Sunday worship before Christ Jesus was nailed to the cross.

Therefore Sunday worship is three days to late to be apart of the New Testament.

The New Testament was Ratified by the blood of Jesus.
For Christ Jesus did say ( For this is my blood of the New Testament) Matthew 26:28

Therefore for Sunday worship to be apart of the New Testament,Christ would have had to Ratified Sunday worship in his blood.before his death on the cross.
So where is it written that Christ Jesus as having Ratified Sunday worship.in his blood, before his death on the cross ?

For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator.
For a testament comes of force after a man is dead, otherwise it has no strength while he lives. Hebrews 9:16-17.

Let's say you write out a will to your children, the will does not come of force until after you die.

Therefore the same with the new testament, while Christ Jesus was live, the new testament had no force, but after Christ Jesus died on the cross then the New Testament came of a force.

Therefore for Sunday worship to be apart of the new testament, Christ Jesus would had to Ratified Sunday worship by his blood.

But there is no where in the New Testament where Christ Jesus Ratified Sunday worship in his blood, as being part of the New Testament, before his death on the cross.

Last edited:
Look you got it backwards, Resting in Christ has nothing to do with any day of the week.
What's so hard about that, for you to understand.

But our resting on the Sabbath, does have everything to do with "the day The Seventh Day Sabbath OF THE LORD GOD" ... "IF JESUS GAVE THEM (us) REST and it, therefore, for the People of God remains, to rest the Sabbath Day".
Throughout the Scriptures "GOD, thus ... in time past through the prophets and in these last days BY THE SON ... concerning the Seventh Day, SPAKE" ... "and it was".
Now it only means what and how much God's speaking means for his people whether the Sabbath of his making has anything to do with them.

Therefore the same with the new testament, while Christ Jesus was live, the new testament had no force, but after Christ Jesus died on the cross then the New Testament came of a force.

"The New Testament" is the written Word of God just like the Old Testament (still) is, the written Word of God. Both Testaments are God's Written Word "concerning the Christ" while He, 'while He was alive' and living amongst his own who knew Him not, was the Everlasting Covenant of God's Grace in full 'force' all right!